• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ship stuck in the Suez Canal

Has ship's Captain been called to HQ and relieved of his command yet? Perhaps they need to temporary block upstream, along with pumps, to raise water level? When hurricane Camille went through Biloxi in '69, many a barge was floated off US 90 with sandbags and water pumps. Drop some caissons in and get to pumping.

Last edited:
The canal seems to be more like an estuary with tidal fluctuations south of The Bitter Lakes. North of those it seems have a northerly flow.

Has ship's Captain been called to HQ and relieved of his command yet?

It is my understanding that the ship was being "piloted" by a canal pilot, (two such pilots were on board) much like is done in some ports. Exactly what that means escapes me however. The owners of the ship are apologizing and what that means escapes me too.:scratch

Last edited:
It is my understanding that the ship was being "piloted" by a canal pilot, much like is done in some ports. Exactly what that means escapes me however. The owners of the ship are apologizing and what that means escapes me too.:scratch

As you would be more familiar with the area you live in than a visitor from Italy, maritime regulations require a "Pilot" or "Guide" that can help the ships captain through the area. The ships call for a "Pilot" while on approach and is brought out to meet and board the vessel. More that common-mandatory.

While captains are in-charge of ships, the role of a maritime pilot is equally important. The duties of maritime pilots are quite different from that of the ship’s captain. As the name suggests, Marine pilots help in maneuvering ships while arriving or departing a port.

https://www.marineinsight.com/careers-2/maritime-pilot-and-his-duties/

This is one of the best examples of one of the pilots doing their job.

I would guess they are apologizing because it is the right thing to do when there is an accident.

OM

I understand they almost have it moved out of the way. They called in the big gun.....

20210328-073626-X2-L.jpg

(Stolen from the FJRiders Forum)

From the world I lived in: (Navy Regulations): "A pilot is merely an advisor to the commanding officer. The presence of a pilot onboard shall not relieve the commanding officer or a subordinate from his or her responsibility for the proper performance of the duties with which he or she may be charged concerning the navigation and handling of the ship." Pilots are (usually) hugely valuable sources of local knowledge, but at least in my world "the pilot said to turn early" is no excuse. I'd imagine the commercial world is legally similar. There is, however, a bit of an exception for the Panama Canal, and entering and leaving drydock.

Wrong bike...The Ural Sahara Edition 2WD may have a chance, using the rear anchor chain from opposite side of canal.

Along with the really big ordinance explosion near the bow, with the high tide.

Add the vertical support effort of about 4 high lift capacity Sky Cranes working in unison and full reverse thrust on the Everstuck.

Tell the Ural rider to be ready to "release" and scurry... big shadow & tidal wave coming soon after detonation.

There is, however, a bit of an exception for the Panama Canal, and entering and leaving drydock.

Might there also be a similar exception for the Suez canal? I am sure this will all be sorted out, probably to nobody's satisfaction, when the lawyers are yelling at each other in a half dozen languages. Interesting: Japanese owned, Taiwanese operated, Panamanian registration, with an Indian crew, in Egypt, blocking ships from a few dozen countries.

Just wait. They might tip it over. They removed tons and tons of ballast water to lighten the ship. The ballast tanks are at the bottom of the hull. This of course makes it more top heavy than it already was. They do understand the risk, but still ...

Might there also be a similar exception for the Suez canal? I am sure this will all be sorted out, probably to nobody's satisfaction, when the lawyers are yelling at each other in a half dozen languages. Interesting: Japanese owned, Taiwanese operated, Panamanian registration, with an Indian crew, in Egypt, blocking ships from a few dozen countries.

Oh, I bet several lawyers will be very satisfied when this is sorted out.

I heard they got it unstuck. It was on one of our local news channels.

I read earlier that the "spring" tides would top out on Tuesday night, so that may have made a difference.

P.S. ABC News and Yahoo News reported it as well.

It will be interesting to read some of the technical after reports.

The carrier has been towed to the Bitter Lakes, where it will be inspected for seaworthiness.

Back