• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ship stuck in the Suez Canal

Now is the time for an enterprising entrepreneur to step in. This may just provide an opportunity to make a few bucks. How about selling souvenirs of the grounding; small packets of the sand that was removed to float the ship, t-shirts commemorating the grounding or a miniature model of the ship inside a small liquid filled ball. There must be profit in this for someone other than the tort lawyers.

The damages are going to be stupefying.

Not only to the economy and the shipping industry, but also to the vessel. Highly likely it will need to go to a dry dock to for a full inspection as the forces needed to get that vessel off the sand could have damaged some of the hull plating/frames. A few divers will be sent in at first but they can only see/do so much and if welding is needed, this has to happen out of the water.....

Probably related to this event, the Science Channel has had some “how it’s built” episodes on construction of these giant vessels.
A 129 ton propeller :eek Amazing.
Pretty cool 😎

OM

Probably related to this event, the Science Channel has had some “how it’s built” episodes on construction of these giant vessels.
A 129 ton propeller :eek Amazing.
Pretty cool 😎

OM

That’s why there is a special engine and gear set that keeps the prop rotating even while in port or moored. It keeps the prop shaft from bending due to the weight hanging on one side..

Also, if it was actually stopped, it would take one heck of a lot of torque (and fuel) to start it spinning again; maybe the "normal" engine's output shaft could get twisted?

Wow. Thanks for teaching me something today.

You're welcome. I used to do prop cleaning in Rotterdam port as a side gig to offshore diving when I was in a rotation of 2 weeks on/2 weeks off. Then after Piper Alpha went up like a Roman candle, that schedule went out the door and that year I worked 8 months straight. Either on rigs or working from boats so the logbooks were correct...:laugh
I doubt that this happens today as those were the good old days..

Back