• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ship stuck in the Suez Canal

Gary - I read this morning that a rising tide is expected to help the effort to free the vessel today. More important is the fact that a US Navy team is on the way to Egypt to assist and should arrive today.

It's always been a bottleneck. In '88 I went through the Suez Canal (and the Panama Canal) as part of a Marine unit on a U.S. Navy ship, returning from the Persian Gulf. We had to wait a day because there is that stretch where northbound ships go through one day, and southbound ships go through the next. It is quite narrow, and amazing that this is the first time in over one hundred-fifty years that it has happened.

... a rising tide is expected to help the effort to free the vessel today ...

So, how does a tide (high or low) help in this case? A man-made canal with locks is designed to negate the effects of higher/lower water levels on either end. Am i thinking wrongly?

From wikipedia, there are no locks on the Suez Canal. And from something else, the initial surveys for the canal showed virtually no difference in altitude for either end of the canal.

I found this bit of information:

'Is the Suez Canal tidal?
It contains no locks; seawater flows freely through it. In general, the canal north of the Bitter Lakes flows north in winter and south in summer. South of the lakes, the current changes with the tide at Suez. The canal is owned and maintained by the Suez Canal Authority (SCA) of Egypt".

Since this blocking vessel is toward the southern end of the canal, then perhaps a rising tide will help.

It's a big ship-

The 400m-long (1,300ft), 200,000-tonne vessel ran aground on Tuesday morning amid high winds and a sandstorm that affected visibility.

With 20,000 containers on board.

:eek

Not like pushing your Boston Whaler off the sand bar.

OM

Harbor Freight sells winches at reasonable prices, but I guess they didn’t think of that.

May need Canal Freight for that ;)

I wonder if the current is creating a vortex that is dropping sand on the down-stream side effectively lock the ship in place?

OM

It is quite narrow, and amazing that this is the first time in over one hundred-fifty years that it has happened.

Keep in mind that these container ships are relatively new, and getting bigger all the time. 50 years ago ships were tiny in comparison. But as narrow as the canal is it is surprising it doesn't happen with some regularity.

No guard rails?

:D

With all due regard the Suez Canal is a 120 mile long 19th century dirt ditch dug across the Egyptian desert. For many years it offered one-way traffic: northbound one day, south bound the next. I understand it has now been dug out a little wider in spots to accomplish what, I have no idea. Two-way traffic? Passing zones? :scratch

Last edited:
The Dutch have come to the rescue; Smits and another outfit. Hip hip hoora! It's the biggest vessel they've dealt with in 180 years. Smits is the outfit that raised the Kursk.

With all due regard the Suez Canal is a 120 mile long 19th century dirt ditch dug across the Egyptian desert. For many years it offered one-way traffic: northbound one day, south bound the next. I understand it has now been dug out a little wider in spots to accomplish what, I have no idea. Two-way traffic? Passing zones? :scratch

Widened to make it more difficult for the Egyptian and Israeli armies to cross it.

I expect that a portion of the containers (~20,000 loaded)will have to removed to refloat the ship, pulling on the ship may open the hull or worse make it tip over. It is very difficult to understand the size and weight of the ship.

The whole loading and unloading process has always fascinated me. There are some great videos, from the crane operators perspective- way up there, as well as this video.
Nice overview-

OM

All reports I've seen say they were blown off course; the effects of a crosswind on a large ship are impressive. Been there, done that driving ships. Ships like a carrier or one of these huge container ships present a huge sail area; think of what a crosswind wind does to an 18-wheeler on the highway, and multiply that force exponentially. And slowing down might seem like a good idea, except that the slower you go, the less effective the rudder becomes, until you eventually lose steerageway. In a tight channel like that if you need the help and don't have tugs made up (or close by), bad things can happen really fast.

Well, I think they are now on to Plan D. Their big hope was that "high tide" would allow them to unstick the ship. High tide was 4:00 or so p.m. Eastern Daylight Time Saturday. I have not read that they got it loose. So whatever Plan D is, it looks like Plan C didn't work.

Back