• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New shoes for an old dog

ksdcr

Ok, not an old dog, just my 2000 R1100 RS. Could not source my favorite 160/60-18 Michelin Pilot, so I moved on to Avons. Installed front and rear, Avon Storm 3-D. Not sure what the 3-D stands for, but they look great.

Just got back from a 50 mile break in ride, and they feel good. Steering seems lighter on turn ins, but new tires always make my bike feel like it performs better. I’ll follow up when I have about 3-4 thousand miles on them.

Last edited:
I'm in year 2 of my Avon Spirit ST tires, the thread pattern on both look very similar.
The write up on the Storm 3D seems to tout higher mileage, whereas my Spirits seem to tout the amount of sand (silica) in the compound.
I liked the writeup for your Storm 3D's,

" The Storm 3D X-M gives superb handling and stability characteristics which are essential on today's sport touring bikes such as the FJR1300 and K1200 and is great for Hayabusa riders who want more mileage. It can also transform the performance of older model hyperbikes, such as BMW's K1300 series and Honda's Super Blackbird."

I believe the 3D is the small sipes or lines in the tread have micro teeth that interlock when the sipe is compressed, creating traction.
Actually this is a good youtube explaining that, made by the Avon Tyre company itself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlJB8n9ryZg
No I do not work for Avon :)

I hope your tyres perform well for you, Old Dog Welsh

We had a set of those Avon's on one of our S1000XR a couple years ago. They performed well even in wet conditions. Took them up to Canada on a 6,000 mile trip, they were worn out at 7,000 but had great grip even when we changed them out. They were replaced with another brand only because we like to try different manufactures. These Avon's where above average compared to the other we have tried.

I was getting 10-11 thousand on my Michelin Pilot road 3s and 4s on the rear, and about 12 on the front. I was hoping for similar mileage. I don’t pack the bike with heavy luggage, and only occasionally ride Two up.

We had a set of those Avon's on one of our S1000XR a couple years ago. They performed well even in wet conditions. Took them up to Canada on a 6,000 mile trip, they were worn out at 7,000 but had great grip even when we changed them out. They were replaced with another brand only because we like to try different manufactures. These Avon's where above average compared to the other we have tried.

Mileage depends on how aggressive one rides. I think all the leading manufactures are fairly good with about equal offerings. I've tried Pirelli, Michelin, Avon, Dunlop, Continental, Shinko and Metzler and have found all to be good for everyday riding. I've taken Pirelli Angel GT's down to the cords at 9,000 miles, they were my go to tire. I've also had flats with them in less than 1,000. The Avon's were great also, Storm 2 but they quit making them, the three's I wasn't that happy with. Dunlop Smart Max 2 where trash but the 3's are very good, especially for the price. Shinko's were the 705's because we planned for some gravel road passes, they were fine but not spectacular on the paved road. Conti's and Meltzer's are now my go to tires, mostly Conti's with their sport Attacks on my sport bikes and the Road Attacks on my cruiser bikes, really depends on how many miles I want them to go. I'll most likely be trying the Metzler R-9's next on the R1100S BCR.

You make want to consider putting a K1200 rear wheel on it. It bolts right up. If you can get the lugs would be helpful you have to shorten yours by 5 mm. Lot more choices for a 17” rear wheel tires vs 18”.

I like that idea, sounds pretty simple. Does it change the speedometer/ odometer dramatically?

You make want to consider putting a K1200 rear wheel on it. It bolts right up. If you can get the lugs would be helpful you have to shorten yours by 5 mm. Lot more choices for a 17” rear wheel tires vs 18”.

Back