• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Trade In Considerations

spazpilot

Looking for feedback from folks that have traded in their existing motorcycles (not advice that I should sell it privately)

Did you get a lower value if you bike was due for things like, Annual Service? Tires?

I just brought my old bike out of winter storage 2 weeks ago. My new bike won't be here for another 4 ish weeks from today and I'll probably put another 750 miles on the bike between now and then. I "Probably" need at least a new front tire in the next 1K miles, should probably change the oil (probably another 1500 left on this change), Final Drive, Service notification light is on... All things I'd have done now if I was keeping it.

Just curious of anyone’s experiences.

Looking for feedback from folks that have traded in their existing motorcycles (not advice that I should sell it privately)

Did you get a lower value if you bike was due for things like, Annual Service? Tires?

I just brought my old bike out of winter storage 2 weeks ago. My new bike won't be here for another 4 ish weeks from today and I'll probably put another 750 miles on the bike between now and then. I "Probably" need at least a new front tire in the next 1K miles, should probably change the oil (probably another 1500 left on this change), Final Drive, Service notification light is on... All things I'd have done now if I was keeping it.

I would venture a guess that the service notification light will cost you.

FWIW I mostly trade my old BMWs for another new on. The other bikes I sell privately as I usually buy their replacement used.

The last BMW i traded was a GS with a bit of 50k miles that was pretty well farkled. The dealer told me they did not add much value...if fact he recommend I put on the old stock parts and sell the farkels separately. So I sold the custom seat, the hard bags and top box, etc on my own and he gave me what the GS was worth as compared with Cycle Trade prices against my new RS.
I was happy and so was he.

Since it's a trade-in you're considering, the dealer won't be able to sell it on without first doing the tires and service items. So, theoretically anyway, the dealer will deduct his cost of doing it from the trade-in value. And his cost is considerably less than your cost, which means you should not do those items at your own retail cost. Trade it in "as is".

I would venture a guess that the service notification light will cost you.

RGR. this is kind of what I was afraid of. Just wanted to avoid dropping 500+ bucks on Service and tires just to lose the value on the trade.

Thanks for your response!

Since it's a trade-in you're considering, the dealer won't be able to sell it on without first doing the tires and service items. So, theoretically anyway, the dealer will deduct his cost of doing it from the trade-in value. And his cost is considerably less than your cost, which means you should not do those items at your own retail cost. Trade it in "as is".

RGR. Good point.

FWIW I mostly trade my old BMWs for another new on. The other bikes I sell privately as I usually buy their replacement used.

The last BMW i traded was a GS with a bit of 50k miles that was pretty well farkled. The dealer told me they did not add much value...if fact he recommend I put on the old stock parts and sell the farkels separately. So I sold the custom seat, the hard bags and top box, etc on my own and he gave me what the GS was worth as compared with Cycle Trade prices against my new RS.
I was happy and so was he.

Yes. I was told the same. Un Farkling bike as best I can Prior.

On the other hand a nefarious dealer might just reset the "Service" light and only replace the tire. Not saying this one would. :dunno

Back