• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Engine valve cover gaskets

patm

I did the valves on my R1200 RT last week. Everything is good except I saw a few drops of oil leaking from the valve cover after my first long ride even though it was torqued to spec. Just being curious, I searched and can't find an answer, is there an expected life for the valve cover gasket?

I'm at 93K KM which is about 50K miles. The bike is a '16 model.

I have new gaskets on the way.

I did the valves on my R1200 RT last week. Everything is good except I saw a few drops of oil leaking from the valve cover after my first long ride even though it was torqued to spec. Just being curious, I searched and can't find an answer, is there an expected life for the valve cover gasket?

The life of the gasket depends on how carefully it was removed/reinstalled, as well as how many times it was removed/reinstalled, etc... Best results seem to come from thoroughly cleaning them before reinstallation. I have not had an issue on my 2005 or my 2016 (although on the 2005 I had to change the spark plug hole gasket once because it shifted on me and got crimped - causing a leak).

The Dealer defaults to replacing them every time for ~$80 a pop. They will usually honor your request to reuse them if you make it, but not guarantee that it won't leak.

They can be re-used as long as they aren't damaged or leak, as you have found out. Also pay close attention to the "doughnut" seal around the spark plug access hole. Mis-installed one on my R1100S and it oiled my boot really nice.

Frank

I haven't done a service yet, but have read many places that best results are gained when ensuring that the gasket and mating surfaces are bone dry before assembly. R1200R forum member even reported being able to stop a weep/leak by removing, drying, and re-installing said covers/gaskets.

<snip> The Dealer defaults to replacing them every time for ~$80 a pop. They will usually honor your request to reuse them if you make it, but not guarantee that it won't leak.

$84.91 per side

Clean both surfaces as well as the gasket, place it carefully, & go around several times as you tighten evenly.

Prices like these, for a simple gasket, are a primary reason why people, even on a friendly BMW Forum, unleash their distain from time to time. And the real rub, are dealers who recommend changing them routinely.

Okay, I feel better now.

$84.91 per side

Clean both surfaces as well as the gasket, place it carefully, & go around several times as you tighten evenly.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, this price is a good reason to check the spark plug gasket.

I recently performed my 30k mile service, didn’t seat the spark plug gasket correctly on the RH cylinder, oil leaked out of the bottom of the cylinder at operating temps. Telltale splashes of oil on the pannier, not a huge leak. Easy and cheap fix.

Mine were still good on my 07 after 186,000 km

Before thinking of changing them I would remove,clean and reinstall them to see if this solves the problem.

Oops I reread the last part of your post. too late for my suggestion...

Leaking Valve Cover Gasket

If you didn't damage the gasket during removal, which is hard to do, I'll bet the oil is from the residual contained in the locating pins or the valve assembly. Before you replace the gasket you should always clean all the oil up along the gasket surface and in the locating pin holes. Otherwise this oil will seep past the gasket when you lighten it and it will appear that it is leaking. It took me several valve adjustment before I learned to do this.

My experience is that these type of valve cover gaskets last a very long time if you are careful taking them off and clean the head and cover surfaces. I bought a new set of gaskets for my old 2005 R1200RT and in nearly 14 years and 130k miles, I never used them. As long as the rubber is pliable I keep reusing them. In nearly 14 years of use, I have never had the gaskets (the outside ones) leak. I did change the inner gasket around the spark plug a few times.

The gaskets and seals on the 1250 valve covers are the same type. I have already done a 6k and 12k on the bike with the original pieces and have had no leaks.

So, how long do they last? Well, if you handle them carefully, make sure the gaskets, seals and surfaces are free of oil when you put the covers back on, they can last many years.

Back