• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

replacing a 2003 KGT fuel filler cap assembly ?

jjciii

I took apart the fuel filter (bottom of tank) to replace the hoses and did not mark the fuel 'filler' cap assembly so I do not know how to replace the 'filler' cap back after I was done with the bottom of the tank. The little drain hole on the 'filler' cap should face - ft, back, lt, or right side of the bike??

I figure this may make a difference due to the little float thing connected to the filler cap and it's orientation inside of the tank. Sure are a lot of pipes and hoses connected to this cap assembly.

Anybody with a kgt, please look inside of your gas cap and tell me which way to orientate the small drain hole.

The “biscuit” should point to the front of the tank. That puts the drain hole for the capwell on the left side of the tank as you sit on the bike.

Best,
DeVern

I sure appreciate the info. Dame BMW, why don't they give us an out of the tank fuel filter. Or if not, then not on the bottom of the tank! Same goes for the location of the air filter.
But now I know and can finish putting it all back. But I will sure test for leaks before putting on all the plastic. Didn't change any of the gaskets, so hoping they all seal up fine.
Not going with the paper air filter again however. Bought a Bikemaster filter and hoping it will last longer. Anyone hear about opening up the air box at all for any increase in power? That is something I did on my f800GSA. Three 1" holes covered by some Sealskin. If I was to open this air box, not sure where I would do it. Seems the gas tank covers closely to the box, not leaving any room for air even if you were to drill in some holes.

Oh well, back to putting it together with your info.

'03 KGT fuel filler cap

I sure appreciate the info. Dame BMW, why don't they give us an out of the tank fuel filter. Or if not, then not on the bottom of the tank! Same goes for the location of the air filter.
But now I know and can finish putting it all back. But I will sure test for leaks before putting on all the plastic. Didn't change any of the gaskets, so hoping they all seal up fine.
Not going with the paper air filter again however. Bought a Bikemaster filter and hoping it will last longer. Anyone hear about opening up the air box at all for any increase in power? That is something I did on my f800GSA. Three 1" holes covered by some Sealskin. If I was to open this air box, not sure where I would do it. Seems the gas tank covers closely to the box, not leaving any room for air even if you were to drill in some holes.

Oh well, back to putting it together with your info.

ORRRRRR......you could try something like this.

20210403_180346.jpg

Back