Thread: Odd '94 K75S brake switch issue

Odd '94 K75S brake switch issue

Update ***

I just installed a new micro processor switch, thanks EuroMotoelectric. Easy fix, although somewhat pricey part. All is well, brake pedal activates the brake light, as well as extinguishing the dash warning light.

My 1994 K75 S has an odd issue with the rear brake light.

When first starting, the red brake light alert illuminates. Riding off, it is supposed to go off, once the brake pedal or hand lever is pulled. But, the light does not go out, immediately, but usually after I travel a few miles it does go off.

So, checking whether the brake tail light will illuminate, it only does when the handle bar lever is pulled, but does notilluminate by pressing the foot brake pedal.

What I find puzzling is that the brake pedal does not activate the brake light, but apparently, it “ eventually” makes the red dash alert light go out. Does this sound like how these micro switches die?
    Last edited by walshj1024; 04-12-2021 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Update fix
    2000 R1100 RS
    2009 Jaguar XK

Quote Originally Posted by walshj1024 View Post
    My 1994 K75 S has an odd issue with the rear brake light.

When first starting, the red brake light alert illuminates. Riding off, it is supposed to go off, once the brake pedal or hand lever is pulled. But, the light does not go out, immediately, but usually after I travel a few miles it does go off.

So, checking whether the brake tail light will illuminate, it only does when the handle bar lever is pulled, but does notilluminate by pressing the foot brake pedal.

What I find puzzling is that the brake pedal does not activate the brake light, but apparently, it “ eventually” makes the red dash alert light go out. Does this sound like how these micro switches die?
    The mounting of those little switches is futzy (tech term). If loose what you describe can happen. Check the mounting of the switch. Also some electrical cleaner or even WD40 sprayed into the switch may cure it.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Thanks, I will give it a try, although I have a new switch on its way.
    2000 R1100 RS
    2009 Jaguar XK

3 Red Bricks
    Quote Originally Posted by walshj1024 View Post

When first starting, the red brake light alert illuminates. Riding off, it is supposed to go off, once the brake pedal or hand lever is pulled.
    To clarify, the light will go out only after BOTH the front brake lever AND the rear brake pedal have been pulled (not at the same time).

The bulb check monitor checks 3 things: taillight bulb, brake light bulb as actuated by the front brake switch, brake light bulb as actuated by the rear brake switch. If you do not test both brakes, the light will remain on. If either bulb or either switch does not function, the light will remain on.

The rear switch is a normally on switch, meaning that if nothing is pushing on the switch, the light should light. At rest, the brake pedal is pushing on the switch, thereby turning off the light. Sometimes the switch or the small lever that transfers the force from the brake lever to the button on the micro switch, can become bent or stuck, not releasing force on the microswitch button or the button itself can become sticky and not actuate the brake light. A new switch should fix it.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    To clarify, the light will go out only after BOTH the front brake lever AND the rear brake pedal have been pulled (not at the same time).

The bulb check monitor checks 3 things: taillight bulb, brake light bulb as actuated by the front brake switch, brake light bulb as actuated by the rear brake switch. If you do not test both brakes, the light will remain on. If either bulb or either switch does not function, the light will remain on.

The rear switch is a normally on switch, meaning that if nothing is pushing on the switch, the light should light. At rest, the brake pedal is pushing on the switch, thereby turning off the light. Sometimes the switch or the small lever that transfers the force from the brake lever to the button on the micro switch, can become bent or stuck, not releasing force on the microswitch button or thebutton itself can become sticky and not actuate the brake light. A new switch should fix it.

2000 R1100 RS
    2009 Jaguar XK