• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1985 K100RS refinishing center and side stands.

mcmlcccvrs

So I put the bike up on the Kendon lift on Saturday and decided to strip and refinish my side and center stands-3 hours of my life I won't get back. Thoughts on whether I should have another buttress welded to the center stand? I don't weld and don't know anyone that does so it would be off to a machine shop. Some pretty good pitting on the cross member on the center stand. Didn't bother with the support bracket that bolts to the gearbox as it looked really good.

vWihH2.jpg

H9FvG8.jpg

klhdDx.jpg

FVXNdK.jpg

hygiGB.jpg

My advice would be to replace that stand with one from a K1100 with straight legs. It is a bolt-on with no other modifications. I see your left "leg" on that stand is already quite worn and flattened on the bottom. Repairing that one is not worth it in my opinion.

Frank

My advice would be to replace that stand with one from a K1100 with straight legs. It is a bolt-on with no other modifications. I see your left "leg" on that stand is already quite worn and flattened on the bottom. Repairing that one is not worth it in my opinion.

Frank

Okay. I've heard of that being done. So I can literally take all of the bits and pieces (side stand, bearings, linkages, etc) and transfer them over to the K1100 stand? The center stand will contact the rubber bumper? I won't need any other parts? If mine appears to be that bad then new ones are available. I'll be long done riding before a new stand fails!

Is it harder to get the bike up on the straight-legged center stand versus the original?

Last edited:
My 86 K100, has the same centre stand as in your pictures. I just welded a brace on the the curve, as these are known to bend as they get older and likely as a result of riders trying to use them as ride off stands. I also welded a thin piece of flat iron on the bottom of the centre stand legs and ground it to a round shape. Worked fine and if you can't find a K1100 centre stand a good way to go.

Instead of paying a shop to do some welding for me I opted for the K1100 route. I got a really nice side/center stand unit from a 1995 K1100RS and popped it on with 4 new stainless steel screws. I'll shoot some grease into the fittings. I noticed that the bike is ever so slightly harder to get off the center stand (not even worth mentioning really) but noticeably easier to put on the center stand.

Instead of paying a shop to do some welding for me I opted for the K1100 route. I got a really nice side/center stand unit from a 1995 K1100RS and popped it on with 4 new stainless steel screws. I'll shoot some grease into the fittings. I noticed that the bike is ever so slightly harder to get off the center stand (not even worth mentioning really) but noticeably easier to put on the center stand.

I am leery about installing fairly high torque stainless steel screws into aluminum threads such as on the bottom of the transmission case. Stainless screws are notorious for galling in these circumstances. I see no good reason not to use the original Cadmium plated cap screws. The stainless is likely to be no stronger - maybe weaker - and mostly decorative at a location only visible when the bike takes a nap.

85 K100RS Centerstands.

These center stands were notorious for breaking on the left, boot horn, side. BMW would replace them under warranty, but this happened in '07, .....nuff said. Had another one, on a different bike, break in '08. Didn't learn a darn thing. Moto Guzzi had a very similar stand but they put a gusset on the trailing sides.
Corrosion from the inside is a major factor also. If the rubber plugs are not watertight moisture WILL get in the stand and raise quite rukus.

This made me cry.........I was hauling it up on the stand and it came unglued as I gave it a big heave ho. Took me with it.

DSC00118.JPG

DSC00116.JPG

DSC00114.JPG

DSC00113.JPG

Here's a little more post-mortem . You can see the rust and fresh break.

DSC00184.JPG

DSC00187.JPG

I found a nice stand and used my borescope to have a look. Passed inspection. All was sandblasted and coated with aircraft Imron, that I still had around. After paint I coated the inside with boiled lindseed oil like we do old airplane motor mounts and put the plugs in tight. I also install all bolts going into dissimilar metals with Coppercoat anti-sieze and use a torque wrench. The aluminum can't tell whether the bolt is stainless or not, but it will tell you when you've over-torqued........ And you won't like it.
I would take the time to weld in the gussets. It will keep you from having a K that looks like a big tuna on your shop floor.

DSC00941.JPG

DSC00945.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00115.JPG
    DSC00115.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 85
I have one for my 1985 K100RS and it doesn’t mount properly. Is there any chance that you could take some good photos of how it’s mounted to your foot peg bracket? It would be a huge help if you could. A PM would work best. I also see that you have the early style foot peg brackets with rubber mounts.

85 k100

I have one for my 1985 K100RS and it doesn’t mount properly. Is there any chance that you could take some good photos of how it’s mounted to your foot peg bracket? It would be a huge help if you could. A PM would work best. I also see that you have the early style foot peg brackets with rubber mounts.

Couldn't get the PM to accept the photo.
This is the best close up. It has a vertical tab/plate that is long enough to capture both of the stock rubber mounts and extends about 2" passed the aft mount..
I'll get some better shots if you need.

DSC05444.JPG

DSC05445.JPG

Yep- my centerstand broke exactly like that early in my bikes life. Ended up throwing it onto its right side in a parking lot. I had it repaired with a gusset to strengthen that area.
Later I had the wheel widened to accept a 150/70 tire and the centerstand was not wide enough for this. I cut the stand to allow tire clearance but that wasn't too successful. That is when I installed a K1100 stand and haven't looked back.

Frank

Hmmm... this gets me to thinking, is this an issue on the same era of K75's? :scratch

Yes

It is an issue on all of the classic K bikes with the curved center stand legs. They wear flat spots where the stand contacts pavement (grass not so much) and can corrode on the inside when moisture gets past the plugs and just sits inside the stand legs. The thinning from the exterior wear and interior corrosion can cause stand failure.

Yes

It is an issue on all of the classic K bikes with the curved center stand legs. They wear flat spots where the stand contacts pavement (grass not so much) and can corrode on the inside when moisture gets past the plugs and just sits inside the stand legs. The thinning from the exterior wear and interior corrosion can cause stand failure.

:doh OK, good to know- thanks Paul. I guess I'll line that up on my list of garage projects.

IIRC early short gussets were holed on both ends. Replacement had a longer gusset fully welded on the top end. When I tore down my early RS, mnfd. 7/84, it had the replacement. However, when everything was apart I dribbled Corroseal into the centerstand tubes to counter any rust followed by paint and new plugs.

Back