Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Visor vision sucks in the rain

Blog Entries

Visor vision sucks in the rain

My Arai visor gets all wet and drippy, then fogs up at stops unless I open it. Rain seems to cling to it. Really bad, can't see clearly, and dangerous in heavy rain because I can't see pooled water on the road ahead. I know RainX isn't recommended for plastic but I think I'll be trying it anyway since I get a new visor every couple of years or so after they get scratched up from airborne road debris. Any better ideas out there?
    Bill in Highlands Ranch, Colorado
    2017 R1200RT
    2007 Eton Beemer Scooter

I use Lemon Pledge to clean my visor. It also makes the water bead up and blow off like rain x.

I use a pin lock visor religiously. If this is a too expensive option, rain x does make a plastic care product, rain x for plastic I believe. I have some, Ive used it, not as good as an effective pin lock design.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA President

First thing is you should ("shall" Navy talk) get a pinlock shield for your fogging woes. Next there is a product called Motosolutions RainCoat Pro. This stuff is amazing for face shields and last quit awhile. I used to be able to buy a spray bottle of the stuff on Amazon, but it hasn't been available for 5 years. Cycle World has little sample packets for cheap, but are kind of a pain because its more of a hard wax substance that you have to rub in. A pain but worth the effort. More readily available is RainX for PLASTICS. Make sure you get the plastic version! It works but doesn't last as long as raincoat.

Ebay has the raincoat products but are cheaper at Cycle Gear IIRC.

https://motosolutions.com/raincoat-a...llent-coating/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184432640872

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TEDZEMLICKA View Post
    I use Lemon Pledge to clean my visor. It also makes the water bead up and blow off like rain x.
    . +1 started in 2004 and always works best inside and out plus windscreen and everything else, and smells good. I like that the bugs are easy off.
    On to a 21 F750GS, Ride Safe, Richard (K7TNT) MOA #114372, IBA #59670 2015 Be the Adventure!

Heated visor

Nothing worked well for me until I got a heated visor. Bell makes some for their helmets, for snowmobiles, I think. Pinlocks and the various surface wipes didn't work that well for me. When I need the visor heat I plug it into the battery charging plug directly.

Novus plastic polish.

Joe
    Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You cannot withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'

Pinlock inside, Novus on the outside, and rain gloves with squeegee from Aerostich: https://www.aerostich.com/clothing/g...ve-covers.html
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

Quote Originally Posted by drneo66 View Post
    Pinlock inside, Novus on the outside, and rain gloves with squeegee from Aerostich: https://www.aerostich.com/clothing/g...ve-covers.html
    Picnic shelter or motel room!
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Had same problem, went to pin-lock solved the fogging. I use rain-x windshield cleaner for visor helps with droplets. Also when at speed turn head slightly and let the wind clear visor.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Picnic shelter or motel room!
    If I sat out every rain storm, I'd never make enough miles to catch up to you and Voni!
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

I use the pin lock shield if the weather is cold or when I think to pack it. I also use a Scott No Fog Cloth that I acquired years ago, which I wipe the inside of the shield with. I also use the store brand furniture polish versus Pledge. Not sure if either makes a difference in the rain but for cleaning, it works well on the helmet and face shield, in fact I often use it to clean the bike up when traveling.
    Gary Phillips - #6322
    Wildland Firefighter, Retired, Riggins, ID
    Heartland Moto Locos BMW Riders
    '77 R100/7 Dirt Hack, '83 R80ST, '85 K100RS w/EML, '93 K1100LT, '00 R1100RS

Quote Originally Posted by oscs View Post
    First thing is you should ("shall" Navy talk) get a pinlock shield for your fogging woes. Next there is a product called Motosolutions RainCoat Pro. This stuff is amazing for face shields and last quit awhile. I used to be able to buy a spray bottle of the stuff on Amazon, but it hasn't been available for 5 years. Cycle World has little sample packets for cheap, but are kind of a pain because its more of a hard wax substance that you have to rub in. A pain but worth the effort. More readily available is RainX for PLASTICS. Make sure you get the plastic version! It works but doesn't last as long as raincoat.

Ebay has the raincoat products but are cheaper at Cycle Gear IIRC.

https://motosolutions.com/raincoat-a...llent-coating/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184432640872

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
    Bottle currently available here: https://motorcycleinnovations.ca/col...coat%C2%AE-pro

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 KenDittrick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bstran View Post
    Great find! Order was easy to do. Let's see how this works in the real world.
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

Hi Bill. I'm here in Denver as well and ride and commute all year. Here's what works for me:

1 - Pinlock - Period, full stop.
    2 - Lemon Pledge on the outside only. Don't get pledge on the Pinlock. Use Pledge before every ride.
    3 - My waterproof gloves have a thumb wiper, very useful for clearing crud, or when moving slowly.
    4 - Clean visors work better. Moisture sticks to dirt. Every 2-3 weeks I take the visors off my two helmets and wash them in warm soapy water (use dishsoap). Remove the pinlock, wash the visor, wash the pinlock insert. Rinse both with clean warm water. Dry with a microfiber (be very careful not to damage the seal on the pinlock). Reinstall (watch Youtube vid on installing pinlock).

Visors need moving air to clear water on the outside. Drop windscreen or sit/stand up to get moving air on the visor. Turn head to one side and the other, wind from the side clears the center of the visor instantly.
    For fogging, make sure you have a breath guard in your helmet. They usually don't come installed from the factory, but they make a huge difference.
    Alan in Denver - 2016 RT, 2016 Multistrada.
    It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards would, through sheer chance, replicate the works of Shakespeare.
    Thanks to internet message boards, we now know this is not the case.