• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bmw nav vi 2021

Spoke to Garmin Support today. They were advised over the weekend that the new -058 part number with the completely redesigned software is in fact the new replacement - as of last week. That said, they said it will take several weeks for Garmin Express to get the new serial numbers loaded in - so stand by. I plopped it on the K1600 and it seemed to fire up and show the data it's supposed to show. I'll take it out for a proper (sounds UK'ish) ride this weekend to see how it all looks.

Having trouble posting pics...........standby.

Any advice on how to load pics? The obvious (to me) of clicking the "insert image" icon then choosing the photo from the "choose file" text block, didn't work.

Does anyone know if the new Nav VI has a different/faster processor. That is my only gripe (so far) about my original Nav VI. It is slow to react to finger touches, etc.. I am guessing it does have different hardware, otherwise we would all be able to upgrade to that software version, right?

I just opened my second replacement Navigator VI (first replacement, received November 2020 ended up with ghost taps like the original). I received:

Code:
BMW Motorrad Navigator VI
North America, Refurbished
S10-01054-46

It shows hardware version “V7 SA3 16GB 128MB MO PR BN”. [emoji37]

Anyone know of any magic phrases to help encourage getting the new -58 model from tech support? Based on the popular set of experiences, I’ll be in this boat again… unless the new cradle is able to meet my needs.

I just got my replacement, looks like a refurbished rather than remanufactured on. I think it was summer of 2020 that they went out of production so there are no new manufacture ones, just old ones that have been turned in and fixed to one degree or another.
PXL_20211128_004128334.jpg

I just got my replacement, looks like a refurbished rather than remanufactured on. I think it was summer of 2020 that they went out of production so there are no new manufacture ones, just old ones that have been turned in and fixed to one degree or another.
View attachment 86000

Yours may be somewhat newer than mine, which I received in March '21 as my second replacement, judging from the "BMW Motorrad" value. I've noticed what appears to be an even newer version of the Nav VI - both the case and the software - which is sometimes the newest warranty replacement unit. Not sure why only sometimes - but I suppose they'll eventually run out of the older versions.

IMG_2025.jpg

Anyone know of any magic phrases to help encourage getting the new -58 model from tech support?.

Where does a person look to find the model number?
I looked at my Nav V unit and box and only see a Serial number and a Unit ID.

If a person buys a used Nav VI it would be nice to know where to find the -58 number.

Last edited:
Where does a person look to find the model number?
I looked at my Nav V unit and box and only see a Serial number and a Unit ID.

If a person buys a used Vav VI it would be nice to know where to find the -58 number.

Lee, I got that from my replacement detail email. I’m not sure where others found it. It’s not shown on the screen shots.

So, I kept using my unit original unit I purchased back in 2018 up until 2 days ago. I got on the bike and was using the unit when it force up and a screen and the image on the screen just jiggled around non stop. I went to help on the Garmin website and did a soft reset with no results. I then followed the directions on the webpage and removed the battery and put it back in. I turned it back on and it showed the BMW Motorrad screen then switched to a grey screen a dot and instructions to touch the curser. I touched the cursor and it went back to the Motorrad screen then back to the touch the cursor screen. This repeated several times until it locked up on the touch the cursor screen and I couldn’t do anything at all but power it off. I called Garmin and they said they are sending me a replacement unit. It should arrive today. Wish me luck.

So Garmin sent me a refurbished Nav VI. Additionally, there was no "my motorcycle' icon. I called them and told me to call the tomorrow and have the unit mounted on the bike and they will walk me through on how to put that icon on my screen and that it was part of the software so it SHOULD be in there somewhere. doesn't inspire confidence. we will see how it goes.

So Garmin sent me a refurbished Nav VI. Additionally, there was no "my motorcycle' icon. I called them and told me to call the tomorrow and have the unit mounted on the bike and they will walk me through on how to put that icon on my screen and that it was part of the software so it SHOULD be in there somewhere. doesn't inspire confidence. we will see how it goes.

Have you mounted it on your bike? I think the "My Motorcycle" icon/page only shows up after it has been mounted and operated on a bike that supports that function like the newer GS and RTs.

Have you mounted it on your bike? I think the "My Motorcycle" icon/page only shows up after it has been mounted and operated on a bike that supports that function like the newer GS and RTs.

The icon will show when the Nav is not mounted.
Without the Nav mounted you can view Last Ride and Status, but not Information.

I believe it won't show up until it has been mounted on the motorcycle and turned on the first time. Then it will show up when off the bike. I have 2 Nav VI units. One has only been used on my Camhead and it does not have the "My Motorcycle" button visible. The other one has been used on my R1250RT and my camhead and it does have the "My Motorcycle" button visible.

I believe it won't show up until it has been mounted on the motorcycle and turned on the first time. Then it will show up when off the bike. I have 2 Nav VI units. One has only been used on my Camhead and it does not have the "My Motorcycle" button visible. The other one has been used on my R1250RT and my camhead and it does have the "My Motorcycle" button visible.

:thumb

I find it odd that this new software on the -58 versions isn't being populated to all the units through Garmin Express.
Has anyone had their old units updated to the software that's on the -58 or do you have to get a new unit for this?

What do the numbers say?

In the preceding images of three units’ screens I see a couple of patterns:

1. Those with Hardware Versions that begin with V8 also have a metadata field for ‘Mount ID’
2. The ‘Unit ID’ (serial) for both V8 versions start with ‘336’
3. The Software Version is the only difference between the first unit in the thread (a ‘58’ copy) which is ‘10.0’ and the other V8 unit which is ‘5.60’. Perhaps it’s just a firmware flash away?

That said, I have a Nav V so it’s all academic to me… ;) I wouldn’t mind getting that new minimalist UI, though!

Back