Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2006 R1200 RT repair estimate QUESTION

2006 R1200 RT repair estimate QUESTION

Oh My.
    One morning (after a year-long hiatus) my RT would not start. Called the dealership and was told it was probably the fuel pump. So THANKS to MOA Platinum the bike was towed to the dealership.
    Diagnosis: fuel pump. This will be my third fuel pump. And of course the fuel strip for the gauge. This will be number 6...
    So I get a repair order from the BMW dealership: $283.50 for diagnosis and $927.29 for gasket, battery, fuel level sensor and fuel pump.
    When I asked about the cost for the diagnose, if the repair is done at the same facility, I obviously pissed off the service guy. (Maybe I called it double-dipping).
    So as a thank you I get a new repair order for a total of $2488.06. Of course all diagnosis cost are included. Just as an example: battery test: 67.50, replace battery labor: $20.25, battery: $193.77, battery tax $1.50, tax $19.81 That's $302.83 for an effing new battery. The fuel pump comes up to $636.00 and so on. Yes they added the oil change for 183.66. Gearbox oil, brake fluid, generator belt.
    I never incurred such a traumatic repair order. So my question to my BMW MOA (I joined 21 years ago): Am I just ignorant and it is, what it is - or am I being taken for a monstrous ride.
    Thank you folks!
    Michael in Key Largo

Quote Originally Posted by 90101 View Post
    Oh My.
    One morning (after a year-long hiatus) my RT would not start. Called the dealership and was told it was probably the fuel pump. So THANKS to MOA Platinum the bike was towed to the dealership.
    Diagnosis: fuel pump. This will be my third fuel pump. And of course the fuel strip for the gauge. This will be number 6...
    So I get a repair order from the BMW dealership: $283.50 for diagnosis and $927.29 for gasket, battery, fuel level sensor and fuel pump.
    When I asked about the cost for the diagnose, if the repair is done at the same facility, I obviously pissed off the service guy. (Maybe I called it double-dipping).
    So as a thank you I get a new repair order for a total of $2488.06. Of course all diagnosis cost are included. Just as an example: battery test: 67.50, replace battery labor: $20.25, battery: $193.77, battery tax $1.50, tax $19.81 That's $302.83 for an effing new battery. The fuel pump comes up to $636.00 and so on. Yes they added the oil change for 183.66. Gearbox oil, brake fluid, generator belt.
    I never incurred such a traumatic repair order. So my question to my BMW MOA (I joined 21 years ago): Am I just ignorant and it is, what it is - or am I being taken for a monstrous ride.
    Thank you folks!
    Michael in Key Largo
    That does not sound right to me. The first question is whether all of the work was authorized? Why for example was the alternator belt changed? Did you ask for a complete scheduled service?

So I would contact the BMW regional rep and see what he/she has to say. Probably will either defend the dealer or go "ho-hum."

What dealership is this?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    That is a lot for a battery but I have paid about $600 for a fuel pump a few years ago while on the road for my 07RT.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum!
    If you had posed the question of the bike not starting, I would have suggested a battery check first.....Especially if it was an older battery.
    Good luck with figuring the rest of the repair out. At least you should be good to go for riding season.
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I think there are two ways to interpret these estimates, more particularly the second:

1. He's going to throw in all the work you might want, in the hope you'll pick out a couple of them to have done. Any service manager would want you to buy more, no? I've had the shop do upsell work they proposed because I didn't want to either do it myself, or bring the bike back before the next scheduled service.

2. You pissed him off, and he doesn't really want you as a customer.

Without being there, it's hard to discern the difference. There's nothing inherently unreasonable about the work proposed; presumably it's all right out of the maintenance schedule.

As to the diagnostic cost, is there anywhere that's free? Isn't that the most valuable part of the job?

(For the record, I would have gone to the battery first as well. But maybe his diagnostic skills are better than mine.)
    2000 R1100RT / 1987 K75C (RIP) / Santa Clarita, CA

I misread the OP. This was a repair order -in other words an estimate, not a bill. In which case my comments are wrong. Or as they say, never mind.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

You can buy just the fuel pump for around $30, and an equivalent battery for around $60, but if that’s all the dealer charged they wouldn’t be able to afford a BMW dealership as they are required to be today and would soon go out of business.
    -Live as fully as you can as long as you can-

I say find a different shop, that sounds pretty high!

Quote Originally Posted by OldCamper View Post
    You can buy just the fuel pump for around $30, and an equivalent battery for around $60, but if that’s all the dealer charged they wouldn’t be able to afford a BMW dealership as they are required to be today and would soon go out of business.
    I'm curious where you can find a $30 fuel pump for this bike?
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Bluenoser
    I guess the moral of the story, Is don't piss off the service manager. All kidding aside that is a bit over the top and they are trying to take advantage of you. I second the battery check first as that is often the culprit. Hard to believe you would be on your 3 fuel pump. I think I'd find another dealer or independent to service your bike.
    1986 K100RT

Loosely related: To anyone dealing with a faulty fuel pump after being inactive for some time.... reportedly 3 months is enough time for one to sit and be a problem. If you can get it out of the tank in in your hands they can be revived.

Story here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/what-...#post-41945205

Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    I'm curious where you can find a $30 fuel pump for this bike?
    The fuel pumps themselves are fairly generic. Ebay sells several different kinds, most are around $30. You need to reuse the BMW carrier plastic and rubber isolators.

Here’s one for $15. 89 sold so far so fairly popular.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOSTPLUS-Fu...QAAOSwWxNatLod
    -Live as fully as you can as long as you can-

Quote Originally Posted by OldCamper View Post
    The fuel pumps themselves are fairly generic. Ebay sells several different kinds, most are around $30. You need to reuse the BMW carrier plastic and rubber isolators.

Here’s one for $15. 89 sold so far so fairly popular.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOSTPLUS-Fu...QAAOSwWxNatLod
    Interesting. Not sure I would trust a $15 fuel pump, but it does look like there are some inexpensive alternatives. Thanks.
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    Interesting. Not sure I would trust a $15 fuel pump, but it does look like there are some inexpensive alternatives. Thanks.
    The fuel pump in my in-tank assembly went bad on my ATV. Fuel pump was around $300. I rebuilt the defective assembly with an Airtex motor unit that I think was $40.00.

More on the process here-

https://www.can-amforum.com/threads/...acement.17303/

OM

$15.00 for a fuel pump? BMW only paid a $1.99!
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I wouldn't go riding with a $15 plastic fuel pump unless I had a couple of spares and a bag of tools. That thing looks like an aquarium pump to me. Just because something pumps something does not mean it belongs inside my fuel tank.

That said, the BMW dealership OEM price seems obscene to me. But Voni and I have had two bikes go over 370,00- miles on their original fuel pumps ('86 K75T and '94 R1100RS) so maybe the OEM pumps are worth it.