Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2021 rt BMW's to be shipped with radios to be installed later

This is embarrassing. I guess everyone should be happy that the wheels don't have to be installed later.

E

Indeed this sucks!

But be happy you can actually get a motorcycle. There are major fiascos with the global supply chain that will need to be addressed. (If I said much more it would be banned as a political rant.) But in the meantime auto manufacturers are shutting down assembly lines and laying off workers because they can't get chips and other electronic components needed to build cars.

So yes, lacking a radio may be a big deal but at least BMW Motorrad didn't stop building motorcycles because they can't get radios.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Good time for BMW to start work on a model without quite so many chips (technology). They could also cut down on a few other extras, and save some weight. Take that lemon (figure of speech) and make some lemonade.

I have a radio and never use it. I listen via my iPhone, or iPod with some Etymotics earphones.

E

Quote Originally Posted by easy View Post
    Good time for BMW to start work on a model without quite so many chips (technology). They could also cut down on a few other extras, and save some weight. Take that lemon and make some lemonade.

E
    I think they'd have to stop building bikes if they weren't able to get the chips which control the emissions system. The Euro-5 standard seems to have become a rest-of-the-world standard by default. Here's a link to a dense, but interesting article regarding the system:https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...to-motorcycles

As to TPMS on new bikes, I have looked into the cost of a retrofit of the TPMS if the system were not built into the bike at the factory. If a local BMW dealer in the US is asked to do it, they have to check with BMW NA with the VIN to see if a retrofit is possible. If it's allowed by the original electronic configuration, then the total retrofit cost is between $1000 and $1500 dollars.
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison 2018-Present
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    MOA #153274
    "We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo-via Walt Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    I think they'd have to stop building bikes if they weren't able to get the chips which control the emissions system. The Euro-5 standard seems to have become a rest-of-the-world standard by default. Here's a link to a dense, but interesting article regarding the system:https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...to-motorcycles

As to TPMS on new bikes, I have looked into the cost of a retrofit of the TPMS if the system were not built into the bike at the factory. If a local BMW dealer in the US is asked to do it, they have to check with BMW NA with the VIN to see if a retrofit is possible. If it's allowed by the original electronic configuration, then the total retrofit cost is between $1000 and $1500 dollars.
    Hi Ex. I'm in the automotive business. I can get aftermarket sensors which would transmit on the same common frequency used by BMW Motorad. Receiver/display units are available for people with trailers who often want TPMS installed. Trailers most often don't come with TPMS. An entire kit for two wheels might run $250. Installation would be additional and would require dismounting each wheel and then refitting. The receiver could be wired into the electrical system and stored in a 'cubby'. I've never done it on a bike, I'd estimate the cost at around $600 to $700.

Quote Originally Posted by rolyfisher View Post
    Hi Ex. I'm in the automotive business. I can get aftermarket sensors which would transmit on the same common frequency used by BMW Motorad. Receiver/display units are available for people with trailers who often want TPMS installed. Trailers most often don't come with TPMS. An entire kit for two wheels might run $250. Installation would be additional and would require dismounting each wheel and then refitting. The receiver could be wired into the electrical system and stored in a 'cubby'. I've never done it on a bike, I'd estimate the cost at around $600 to $700.
    That sounds like a good workaround to the BMW system rolyfisher. As with many things BMW (cars and bikes) the fully-integrated system is complex, and expensive as a result.
    MOA #153274

I pick up my bike on Wednesday. I wonder if you could do the same thing many of us do when we buy snows and wheels with tpms. Buy wheels with aftermarket tpms and then go to the dealer and they “synch” the aftermarket system to the bike. Even better if it could be done with a gs-911. Many newer cars don’t even require the dealer visit.

Quote Originally Posted by cruisincruzan View Post
    I pick up my bike on Wednesday. I wonder if you could do the same thing many of us do when we buy snows and wheels with tpms. Buy wheels with aftermarket tpms and then go to the dealer and they “synch” the aftermarket system to the bike. Even better if it could be done with a gs-911. Many newer cars don’t even require the dealer visit.
    Well, cruisincruzan my experience in dealing with BMW NA over this issue is that the expensive part of the retrofit is the electronics (maybe read that as "chips" in this time) installed (or not) in the motorcycle which will accept and interpret the information the wheel sensors are sending out. If the receiving/interpreting chip is not in the electronics of the bike, then putting a pressure sensor in the wheel will transmit pressure information into the ether, so to speak.
    MOA #153274

Thanks for that info. I thought the shortage was in the sending unit not the receiving unit.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post

There are major fiascos with the global supply chain that will need to be addressed. (If I said much more it would be banned as a political rant.)
    Over the years you have posted a lot of helpfull information. I miss those days.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    Well, cruisincruzan my experience in dealing with BMW NA over this issue is that the expensive part of the retrofit is the electronics (maybe read that as "chips" in this time) installed (or not) in the motorcycle which will accept and interpret the information the wheel sensors are sending out. If the receiving/interpreting chip is not in the electronics of the bike, then putting a pressure sensor in the wheel will transmit pressure information into the ether, so to speak.
    There are numerous vendors selling aftermarket TPMS systems. Many of the different "brands" appear to be by the same manufacturer. Some of them use sensors in the wheel. Others use sensors that screw on valve stems. I got Voni a discounted set for a motorcycle and a trailer. I put the motorcycle sensors on her G310GS and the trailer sensors on her R1100RS. So one fob works with both of her bikes.

I got a set for my G310GS. The receiver charges with a USB cord. Button batteries in the wheel units. It cost about $50 - a bit more with taxes. The downside claimed by some, if it is one, is it has the sending units that screw onto the valve stems. I have had a similar system on my K75 for a few years with no issues though. No seepage, and no vicious vandals have ever stolen those sending units in any of our 4 bikes with the systems.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I ran the system from these people for 4 years and when I got a bike with TPS I sold it with the bike.

I see now they are gearing to tractor trailers now, but it was bullet proof and worked well. And I never lost a sensor to a thief.

https://doranmfg.com/
    Lee
    2017.5 R 1200 GSW

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    In the RV industry, accessory TPM systems that screw on in place of a valve stem cap are very popular. It’s always noted that installation should be on reinforced “metal- not pure rubber” valve stems. It has been found that the bit of “oscillation” induced when the wheel is rotating needs to have the better quality stem to prevent stress cracking.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

The 12pro fits barely but to keep it running you need to stick it in bottom first. Otherwise it will turn off before u get it in. Snug fit and poor charging. It does seem to charge or rather keep the charge while riding.
    I am missing the ability to use Waze or similar and wonder if someone has a soluti9n for that.

Otherwise awesome bike, no radio and no speakers and no tpm on mine.

The supplied Bmw kit doesn't seem to charge so probably useless.

H

Be happy

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    But be happy you can actually get a motorcycle.

Yeah, be happy, it's not like you had to give them 25K!
    2017 R9T
    MOA #213577