Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2021 rt BMW's to be shipped with radios to be installed later

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    These bikes are throttle-by-wire, so the computer can manipulate the air flow and fuel flow independently. I suspect engine braking is reduced by opening the throttle plate while cutting back on the fuel. Not simply leaning out the mixture, but maybe intermittently cutting the fuel entirely. Combined with an opened throttle plate, engine vacuum (and braking) could be greatly reduced.

I think the Wetheads do have a compression release for starting, but it is purely mechanical, so not useable for computer controlled engine braking.
    Oh my goodness they put a jake-brake on my new BMW.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by r0ckrat View Post
    Note: Dynamic Brake Control and Dynamic Engine Brake Control are two different things. DBC is on BMW cars - Suddenly applying and holding the brake at a certain level, and then having the computer proceed to apply maximum braking on a motorcycle would be disastrous...

This was introduced on the 1000's, here's a snippet from an article:
    "In addition to a smoother and self-reinforcing anti-hopping clutch, the new S 1000 XR also features engine drag torque control (MSR) for the first time. Electronically controlled, the MSR prevents the rear wheel from slipping as a result of abrupt throttling or downshifting."

The listing on the Motorrad website is not very descriptive, but does call the feature "MSR (Dynamic Engine Brake Control)" not just "Dynamic Brake Control"
    Good catch!
    Mark
    2015 R 1200 GS Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by DANIMAL View Post
    I put a deposit down on a new 2021 RT at the dealer yesterday. Dealers donít seem to know what is going on. So the sales person did tell me that the bike will not have the radio due to the chip shortage. Does anyone really know if the radio is standard and will BMW supply them at some point and have the dealer install at no additional cost? I may give BMW USA a call to confirm one way or another. Also, if your bike is equipped with Active Cruise Control, you will not be able to use this feature until DOT approves, which has not happened yet. Ducati is facing the same issue. I assume a software update once approved will fix this issue.
    I took delivery of my RT last week and can confirm that Active Cruise Control works.
    Doug
    2021 1250RT

Danimal
    Quote Originally Posted by fastwheels View Post
    I took delivery of my RT last week and can confirm that Active Cruise Control works.
    Doug, did your bike have a radio? And if not how did the dealer handle it? Mine is arriving at the dealer this week.

My bike is also at the dealer (MAX in NY) they told me there are no plans to retrofit the radio. What bothers me more is that they also said no plans to retrofit the TPMS once they are available. BMW NA told me the same thing. Iím also waiting for the first person/company to come up with a solution to turn the speaker space into storage, especially to change that space into a wireless charging space so we can actually fit our phones into the charger.

Was it really that difficult to figure out with the demographics of BMW owners that a significant number of us that would prefer larger phones and would likely have them in a case.

Doug, did your bike have a radio? And if not how did the dealer handle it? Mine is arriving at the dealer this week.
    No radio. Dealer included BMW branded comm units - 2 Kommunikations-System Fit-For-All units (SENA SMH10R) and 1 Kommunikations-Modul Bike-To-Bike unit (SENA SP68).

I was told this was from BMW because there was no TPMS or radio installed. I am ok with lack of radio as I only stream via BT to helmet anyway. I would have liked TPMS but the dealer said it would be about $1300 to add on.
    Doug
    2021 1250RT

Quote Originally Posted by cruisincruzan View Post
    My bike is also at the dealer (MAX in NY) they told me there are no plans to retrofit the radio. What bothers me more is that they also said no plans to retrofit the TPMS once they are available. BMW NA told me the same thing. Iím also waiting for the first person/company to come up with a solution to turn the speaker space into storage, especially to change that space into a wireless charging space so we can actually fit our phones into the charger.

Was it really that difficult to figure out with the demographics of BMW owners that a significant number of us that would prefer larger phones and would likely have them in a case.
    Exactly! My new iPhone 12 Pro Max barely fits in the phone compartment - forget about having it in a protective case.

A few weeks ago I saw a youtube video where someone had used the speaker compartment for storage, but no good solution for a quick removable cover for it. I would be very interested in something to allow for easy storage there...
    Doug
    2021 1250RT

Clarifying what I think I'm hearing

I got on my dealers waitlist in October 2020, paid deposit, and then chose My options via an email exchange on May 3rd 2021 (those options being 1. bike fully loaded but without Radio/prep kit- and add 719 package... delivery early April, or 2. Fully loaded, Sport, w/audio... Delivery Late April). I chose the 2nd option (build sheets included TPMS, etc).

Just to clarify what I think I am hearing... Are your dealers not warning you before shipping bikes that are not to the specs that you ordered? I'd probably be inclined to keep my 2014 till they could deliver what I ordered.

Danimal
    Quote Originally Posted by spazpilot View Post
    I got on my dealers waitlist in October 2020, paid deposit, and then chose My options via an email exchange on May 3rd 2021 (those options being 1. bike fully loaded but without Radio/prep kit- and add 719 package... delivery early April, or 2. Fully loaded, Sport, w/audio... Delivery Late April). I chose the 2nd option (build sheets included TPMS, etc).

Just to clarify what I think I am hearing... Are your dealers not warning you before shipping bikes that are not to the specs that you ordered? I'd probably be inclined to keep my 2014 till they could deliver what I ordered.
    I just got off the phone with my dealer. Information is contradictory and sparse. So my RT is supposed to arrive any day. As mentioned previously in another post, apparently BMW is offering headsets in lieu of the radio. Dealer still does not know if the bike will have speakers and amp so you can use the phone for music. The dealer didnít know yet about the TPMS or active cruise control capability.

I just got off the phone with my dealer. Information is contradictory and sparse. So my RT is supposed to arrive any day. As mentioned previously in another post, apparently BMW is offering headsets in lieu of the radio. Dealer still does not know if the bike will have speakers and amp so you can use the phone for music. The dealer didnít know yet about the TPMS or active cruise control capability.
    UGH... ok. I'll reach out to them today and attempt to manage my expectations. I have no desire to have a brand new bike delivered to me that does not match what I ordered...

Personally...I have removed radios from motorcycle given that listening to a radio on motorcycle external speakers is a proposition for the most ridiculous acoustics imaginable.

So, I am glad to get my new 2021 without a dang radio
    "...whether is clear to you or not, the universe is unfolding as it should"

Danimal

2021 RT Picked Up Yesterday

Well I picked up my 21 RT yesterday at the dealer. I can confirm no radio, no TPMS. Active Cruise Control works vs. the issue Ducati is having. I received two BMW comm headsets and a bike to bike module in lieu of the radio. I donít need the headsets or module, Iím going to see if the dealer or BMW will give me a credit for something else. Otherwise the bike is grand.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Danimal
    Well I picked up my 21 RT yesterday at the dealer. I can confirm no radio, no TPMS. Active Cruise Control works vs. the issue Ducati is having. I received two BMW comm headsets and a bike to bike module in lieu of the radio. I donít need the headsets or module, Iím going to see if the dealer or BMW will give me a credit for something else. Otherwise the bike is grand.
    I forgot to mention my iPhone 12 Pro Max does not fit in the charging compartment, bummer. 😜

Congratulations! The bike looks amazing

Enjoy and be safe.

I forgot to mention my iPhone 12 Pro Max does not fit in the charging compartment, bummer. 😜
    Do you have it in a case? My iPhone 12 Pro Max barely fits in the compartment - but not with the slim case on it.
    Doug
    2021 1250RT