Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 rt BMW's to be shipped with radios to be installed later

MAX BMW shows three 2021 R1250RTs on its website. Here is the most expensive of the three, along with its list of components:

Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 9.04.08 AM.png

Comfort Package (Keyless Ride, Chrome Exhaust Pipe, Central Locking System, Heated Seats, Anti-Theft Alarm System, Accessory Socket), Dynamic Package (Dynamic ESA, Gear-Shift Assist Pro, Ride Modes Pro, Active Cruise Control), Style Package (Chrome Accents), Adaptive Headlight, Headlight Pro, Dynamic Engine Brake Control, LED Auxiliary Lights, ABS Pro, Option 719 Billet Pack Shadow II.

All three show having ACC, but none show TPMS. Looking through the BMW "Build Your Own" website offering, TPMS is not mentioned anywhere that I could find.
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison 2018-Present
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    MOA #153274
    "We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo-via Walt Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    MAX BMW shows three 2021 R1250RTs on its website. Here is the most expensive of the three, along with its list of components:

Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 9.04.08 AM.png

Comfort Package (Keyless Ride, Chrome Exhaust Pipe, Central Locking System, Heated Seats, Anti-Theft Alarm System, Accessory Socket), Dynamic Package (Dynamic ESA, Gear-Shift Assist Pro, Ride Modes Pro, Active Cruise Control), Style Package (Chrome Accents), Adaptive Headlight, Headlight Pro, Dynamic Engine Brake Control, LED Auxiliary Lights, ABS Pro, Option 719 Billet Pack Shadow II.

All three show having ACC, but none show TPMS. Looking through the BMW "Build Your Own" website offering, TPMS is not mentioned anywhere that I could find.
    This is just a thought, but as Euro Regulations change maybe TPMS is now a required "standard" feature.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I think TPMS “disappeared” when they revamped the build your bike section once it was determined we were definitely not getting the radio due to the chip shortage. I wish I had kept my original build, because it had the radio and I believe the TPMS (all under the premium package). Once the chip shortage caused the changes they changed the build your bike section and the affected items were removed.

TPMS was included in the premium package, as #S0530. If you look at the premium package for the RS you'll see it listed. I have a copy of a build configuration for a 2021 RT and the number is the same #S0530. I guess they only have so many chips and they sell more RT's then RS's.

Did your build include anything else besides the premium package? I don’t believe they lowered the price when they left of the radio and TPMS. What was the price of the build? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cruisincruzan View Post
    Did your build include anything else besides the premium package? I don’t believe they lowered the price when they left of the radio and TPMS. What was the price of the build? Thanks
    The only extra I added on was tubular handle bars and Mineral White Paint, those options are still priced the same. I'm going to enjoy my 2014 RT for a while longer, it's in great shape and set up the way I like it. My original plan was to have the 2021 ready for the National ride, that doesn't seem possible at this time. They are saying the world chip shortage will last for 2 more years.

My build sheet FWIW

Estimate was mid to Late April
    No word on dates or Vin or anything ATT.Build Sheet.JPG

Does anybody know what "188 Dynamic Engine Brake Control" is?
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Does anybody know what "188 Dynamic Engine Brake Control" is?
    It adjusts how much engine braking will be applied when downshifting, and this changes with the ride modes. Prevents skidding the rear when downshifting hard into lower gears, and changes how much braking each mode provides (Dynamic = heavy brakes, rain = light braking.) Works along with the ABS to prevent rear lock-up, but provide engine braking.

Quote Originally Posted by r0ckrat View Post
    It adjusts how much engine braking will be applied when downshifting, and this changes with the ride modes. Prevents skidding the rear when downshifting hard into lower gears, and changes how much braking each mode provides (Dynamic = heavy brakes, rain = light braking.) Works along with the ABS to prevent rear lock-up, but provide engine braking.
    Thank you. Which raises my next question. How does it do it? Is it using a compression release? Altered valve timing? It would seem something would need to alter the effect of compression in the engine?

This is what I found on one dealer website:

"The new Dynamic Brake Control DBC provides additional safety when braking, also in difficult situations, by avoiding unintentional accelerator activation. By means of intervention in the engine control, drive torque is reduced during braking so as to make full use of the braking power at the rear wheel. This keeps the motorcycle stable and shortens the braking distance."

I think it's meant to reduce the chances of a rider accidentally cranking the throttle at the same time as he/she pulls the brake lever. Don't think it has anything to do with engine braking per se.
    Mark
    2015 R 1200 GS Adventure

If I understand it correctly, it's using the same mechanics as the auto-blip for shift-assist pro downshifts, and taking over additional control of the throttle (and ignition timing and fuel map) - the entire process is "ride-by-wire" anyway, so all your inputs are to the computer first, and engine second... The computer then reads all sensors (wheel, tilt, etc.) and based on selected mode interprets the data to provide braking at the rear when the throttle is closed, but without causing slippage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_oA9KpmI5A

Includes description of setting it up on 2020 S1000XR

Quote Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
    This is what I found on one dealer website:

"The new Dynamic Brake Control DBC provides additional safety when braking, also in difficult situations, by avoiding unintentional accelerator activation. By means of intervention in the engine control, drive torque is reduced during braking so as to make full use of the braking power at the rear wheel. This keeps the motorcycle stable and shortens the braking distance."

I think it's meant to reduce the chances of a rider accidentally cranking the throttle at the same time as he/she pulls the brake lever. Don't think it has anything to do with engine braking per se.
    Note: Dynamic Brake Control and Dynamic Engine Brake Control are two different things. DBC is on BMW cars - Suddenly applying and holding the brake at a certain level, and then having the computer proceed to apply maximum braking on a motorcycle would be disastrous...

This was introduced on the 1000's, here's a snippet from an article:
    "In addition to a smoother and self-reinforcing anti-hopping clutch, the new S 1000 XR also features engine drag torque control (MSR) for the first time. Electronically controlled, the MSR prevents the rear wheel from slipping as a result of abrupt throttling or downshifting."

The listing on the Motorrad website is not very descriptive, but does call the feature "MSR (Dynamic Engine Brake Control)" not just "Dynamic Brake Control"
    Last edited by r0ckrat; 04-08-2021 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Additional details added

These bikes are throttle-by-wire, so the computer can manipulate the air flow and fuel flow independently. I suspect engine braking is reduced by opening the throttle plate while cutting back on the fuel. Not simply leaning out the mixture, but maybe intermittently cutting the fuel entirely. Combined with an opened throttle plate, engine vacuum (and braking) could be greatly reduced.

I think the Wetheads do have a compression release for starting, but it is purely mechanical, so not useable for computer controlled engine braking.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT