Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: 2021 rt BMW's to be shipped with radios to be installed later

The more I hear about the new bike the less I want it. I will either keep my bike or get one that has a dedicated GPS.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC
    2013 R 1200 RT Midnight Blue - traded, 2014 R 1200 RT Ebony Metallic, 2016 S 1000 XR

Quote Originally Posted by hassebmw View Post
    The 12pro fits barely but to keep it running you need to stick it in bottom first. Otherwise it will turn off before u get it in. Snug fit and poor charging. It does seem to charge or rather keep the charge while riding.
    I am missing the ability to use Waze or similar and wonder if someone has a soluti9n for that.

Otherwise awesome bike, no radio and no speakers and no tpm on mine.

The supplied Bmw kit doesn't seem to charge so probably useless.

H
    When you say the phone wont charge are you referring to induction charging? My phone does not have this feature so I use a cable and it seems to work fine.

I see you like Waze, I've never used it, what features does it have over the connected app GPS that you prefer?
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Quote Originally Posted by jandhumphreyme View Post
    I see you like Waze, I've never used it, what features does it have over the connected app GPS that you prefer?
    Live drive-time estimates that are actually accurate. Real-time traffic updates. Re-routing based on current (live) traffic. Users able to update other users with hazards, road/visibility conditions, police, etc. Route planning based on your selection of what to avoid (freeways, dirt/gravel, a few others that I haven't looked at in a while.)

Traffic estimates in Waze are based on not only standard methods (DOT info), but on actual Waze users who are stopped in traffic. Waze uses anonymized data to see where cars are moving, and where they aren't.

I am getting a demo ride tomorrow - confirmed with my dealer that there is no radio but TPMS IS active. Bike just arrived last week, so maybe going forward it will not be an issue? I can live without the radio. Dealer has no info from BMW regarding future retrofit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve Sylvester
    Paso Robles, Ca

I emailed BMW Customer Service (USA) about the "radio prep" that is included in the Premium package.
    They confirmed it is all the wiring, speakers, and grills, just no electronic module.

From what I see on Microfiche that module is showing around $1800 if my crappy memory is working today.
    Hopefully they will offer a retrofit kit for under $1000 when we finally get the world economy caught up and the radios electronics are produced again.

For now I'm happy the one I have on order has the Premium Pkg.....now I just need to try harder to be patient over the next 8 weeks or so (loaded on boat on May 28th)..

Dave

Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"
    Good Lord look at the glare on Steve's photo above! I couldn't get used to that. Deal-breaker.
    "travel'n" John... on a 2015 R1200GS / MOA# 102452
    "Keep a steady eye ahead, a firm grip on the throttle, be ready with brakes... every mile of the road, there are two miles of the ditch"
    (words of wisdom credited to fellow MOA rider Bill T.)

Quote Originally Posted by flyhi2cfar View Post
    Good Lord look at the glare on Steve's photo above! I couldn't get used to that. Deal-breaker.
    There looks to be a screen protector...it may be the culprit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that is not the way the display looks to the rider...that glare must have been the consequence of something else...

...oh no, there is nothing wrong with the display quality...Its the inconsistencies in using the menus that
    are horrendous.
    "...whether is clear to you or not, the universe is unfolding as it should"

Quote Originally Posted by bdfbeemer View Post
    The more I hear about the new bike the less I want it. I will either keep my bike or get one that has a dedicated GPS.
    I've got a 2019 GSA and attempted to live with GPS functionality from the BMW Connected app on a trip this past week. I know people that griped about the Garmin / NAV VI usability... well the BMW Connected app makes the NAV VI look like something out of the future. In short, it's woefully lacking.

Until BMW gets the Connected app truly usable, it looks like purchasing a new RT is off the table regardless of the whole radio fiasco.