• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2021 rt BMW's to be shipped with radios to be installed later

Did your build include anything else besides the premium package? I don’t believe they lowered the price when they left of the radio and TPMS. What was the price of the build? Thanks

The only extra I added on was tubular handle bars and Mineral White Paint, those options are still priced the same. I'm going to enjoy my 2014 RT for a while longer, it's in great shape and set up the way I like it. My original plan was to have the 2021 ready for the National ride, that doesn't seem possible at this time. They are saying the world chip shortage will last for 2 more years.

Does anybody know what "188 Dynamic Engine Brake Control" is?

It adjusts how much engine braking will be applied when downshifting, and this changes with the ride modes. Prevents skidding the rear when downshifting hard into lower gears, and changes how much braking each mode provides (Dynamic = heavy brakes, rain = light braking.) Works along with the ABS to prevent rear lock-up, but provide engine braking.

It adjusts how much engine braking will be applied when downshifting, and this changes with the ride modes. Prevents skidding the rear when downshifting hard into lower gears, and changes how much braking each mode provides (Dynamic = heavy brakes, rain = light braking.) Works along with the ABS to prevent rear lock-up, but provide engine braking.

Thank you. Which raises my next question. How does it do it? Is it using a compression release? Altered valve timing? It would seem something would need to alter the effect of compression in the engine?

This is what I found on one dealer website:

"The new Dynamic Brake Control DBC provides additional safety when braking, also in difficult situations, by avoiding unintentional accelerator activation. By means of intervention in the engine control, drive torque is reduced during braking so as to make full use of the braking power at the rear wheel. This keeps the motorcycle stable and shortens the braking distance."

I think it's meant to reduce the chances of a rider accidentally cranking the throttle at the same time as he/she pulls the brake lever. Don't think it has anything to do with engine braking per se.

If I understand it correctly, it's using the same mechanics as the auto-blip for shift-assist pro downshifts, and taking over additional control of the throttle (and ignition timing and fuel map) - the entire process is "ride-by-wire" anyway, so all your inputs are to the computer first, and engine second... The computer then reads all sensors (wheel, tilt, etc.) and based on selected mode interprets the data to provide braking at the rear when the throttle is closed, but without causing slippage.

This is what I found on one dealer website:

"The new Dynamic Brake Control DBC provides additional safety when braking, also in difficult situations, by avoiding unintentional accelerator activation. By means of intervention in the engine control, drive torque is reduced during braking so as to make full use of the braking power at the rear wheel. This keeps the motorcycle stable and shortens the braking distance."

I think it's meant to reduce the chances of a rider accidentally cranking the throttle at the same time as he/she pulls the brake lever. Don't think it has anything to do with engine braking per se.

Note: Dynamic Brake Control and Dynamic Engine Brake Control are two different things. DBC is on BMW cars - Suddenly applying and holding the brake at a certain level, and then having the computer proceed to apply maximum braking on a motorcycle would be disastrous...

This was introduced on the 1000's, here's a snippet from an article:
"In addition to a smoother and self-reinforcing anti-hopping clutch, the new S 1000 XR also features engine drag torque control (MSR) for the first time. Electronically controlled, the MSR prevents the rear wheel from slipping as a result of abrupt throttling or downshifting."

The listing on the Motorrad website is not very descriptive, but does call the feature "MSR (Dynamic Engine Brake Control)" not just "Dynamic Brake Control"

Last edited:
These bikes are throttle-by-wire, so the computer can manipulate the air flow and fuel flow independently. I suspect engine braking is reduced by opening the throttle plate while cutting back on the fuel. Not simply leaning out the mixture, but maybe intermittently cutting the fuel entirely. Combined with an opened throttle plate, engine vacuum (and braking) could be greatly reduced.

I think the Wetheads do have a compression release for starting, but it is purely mechanical, so not useable for computer controlled engine braking.

These bikes are throttle-by-wire, so the computer can manipulate the air flow and fuel flow independently. I suspect engine braking is reduced by opening the throttle plate while cutting back on the fuel. Not simply leaning out the mixture, but maybe intermittently cutting the fuel entirely. Combined with an opened throttle plate, engine vacuum (and braking) could be greatly reduced.

I think the Wetheads do have a compression release for starting, but it is purely mechanical, so not useable for computer controlled engine braking.

Oh my goodness they put a jake-brake on my new BMW. :nyah

Note: Dynamic Brake Control and Dynamic Engine Brake Control are two different things. DBC is on BMW cars - Suddenly applying and holding the brake at a certain level, and then having the computer proceed to apply maximum braking on a motorcycle would be disastrous...

This was introduced on the 1000's, here's a snippet from an article:
"In addition to a smoother and self-reinforcing anti-hopping clutch, the new S 1000 XR also features engine drag torque control (MSR) for the first time. Electronically controlled, the MSR prevents the rear wheel from slipping as a result of abrupt throttling or downshifting."

The listing on the Motorrad website is not very descriptive, but does call the feature "MSR (Dynamic Engine Brake Control)" not just "Dynamic Brake Control"

Good catch!

I put a deposit down on a new 2021 RT at the dealer yesterday. Dealers don’t seem to know what is going on. So the sales person did tell me that the bike will not have the radio due to the chip shortage. Does anyone really know if the radio is standard and will BMW supply them at some point and have the dealer install at no additional cost? I may give BMW USA a call to confirm one way or another. Also, if your bike is equipped with Active Cruise Control, you will not be able to use this feature until DOT approves, which has not happened yet. Ducati is facing the same issue. I assume a software update once approved will fix this issue.

I took delivery of my RT last week and can confirm that Active Cruise Control works.

My bike is also at the dealer (MAX in NY) they told me there are no plans to retrofit the radio. What bothers me more is that they also said no plans to retrofit the TPMS once they are available. BMW NA told me the same thing. I’m also waiting for the first person/company to come up with a solution to turn the speaker space into storage, especially to change that space into a wireless charging space so we can actually fit our phones into the charger.

Was it really that difficult to figure out with the demographics of BMW owners that a significant number of us that would prefer larger phones and would likely have them in a case.

Doug, did your bike have a radio? And if not how did the dealer handle it? Mine is arriving at the dealer this week.

No radio. Dealer included BMW branded comm units - 2 Kommunikations-System Fit-For-All units (SENA SMH10R) and 1 Kommunikations-Modul Bike-To-Bike unit (SENA SP68).

I was told this was from BMW because there was no TPMS or radio installed. I am ok with lack of radio as I only stream via BT to helmet anyway. I would have liked TPMS but the dealer said it would be about $1300 to add on.

My bike is also at the dealer (MAX in NY) they told me there are no plans to retrofit the radio. What bothers me more is that they also said no plans to retrofit the TPMS once they are available. BMW NA told me the same thing. I’m also waiting for the first person/company to come up with a solution to turn the speaker space into storage, especially to change that space into a wireless charging space so we can actually fit our phones into the charger.

Was it really that difficult to figure out with the demographics of BMW owners that a significant number of us that would prefer larger phones and would likely have them in a case.

Exactly! My new iPhone 12 Pro Max barely fits in the phone compartment - forget about having it in a protective case.

A few weeks ago I saw a youtube video where someone had used the speaker compartment for storage, but no good solution for a quick removable cover for it. I would be very interested in something to allow for easy storage there...

Clarifying what I think I'm hearing

I got on my dealers waitlist in October 2020, paid deposit, and then chose My options via an email exchange on May 3rd 2021 (those options being 1. bike fully loaded but without Radio/prep kit- and add 719 package... delivery early April, or 2. Fully loaded, Sport, w/audio... Delivery Late April). I chose the 2nd option (build sheets included TPMS, etc).

Just to clarify what I think I am hearing... Are your dealers not warning you before shipping bikes that are not to the specs that you ordered? I'd probably be inclined to keep my 2014 till they could deliver what I ordered.

I got on my dealers waitlist in October 2020, paid deposit, and then chose My options via an email exchange on May 3rd 2021 (those options being 1. bike fully loaded but without Radio/prep kit- and add 719 package... delivery early April, or 2. Fully loaded, Sport, w/audio... Delivery Late April). I chose the 2nd option (build sheets included TPMS, etc).

Just to clarify what I think I am hearing... Are your dealers not warning you before shipping bikes that are not to the specs that you ordered? I'd probably be inclined to keep my 2014 till they could deliver what I ordered.

I just got off the phone with my dealer. Information is contradictory and sparse. So my RT is supposed to arrive any day. As mentioned previously in another post, apparently BMW is offering headsets in lieu of the radio. Dealer still does not know if the bike will have speakers and amp so you can use the phone for music. The dealer didn’t know yet about the TPMS or active cruise control capability.

I just got off the phone with my dealer. Information is contradictory and sparse. So my RT is supposed to arrive any day. As mentioned previously in another post, apparently BMW is offering headsets in lieu of the radio. Dealer still does not know if the bike will have speakers and amp so you can use the phone for music. The dealer didn’t know yet about the TPMS or active cruise control capability.

UGH... ok. I'll reach out to them today and attempt to manage my expectations. I have no desire to have a brand new bike delivered to me that does not match what I ordered...

Back