• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ignition switch slipping 2010 K1300GT

heathergal

Hey guys. Sorry if there's a thread about this already but I didn't see one.

My husband and I both have K-GTs. His is a 2010 and on our last trip his key started rotatating freely in the ignition switch. It no longer clicks in each position. Has this ever happened to anyone? Anyone know what is involved with fixing?

Thanks!

Do y’all have a second key to try?

If the key cycles on/ off and bike runs would think a key module #1, if no power on/ off it could be the lower electric part of switch #2
The common failure is a random no power that sometimes can be remedied turning key on and off many times until that stops working!

Didn’t see #1 which holds the key cylinder listed separate on a list on the small screen :dunno

12ACDEF2-C23B-4D85-A89B-6F87567A09AE.png

The two screws shown , #3,are tamper proof and will need to be drilled out, all upside down! Doable but a PITA

Full power but no click between positions. Didnt think to try another key. We can do that. Our dealership did the fuel pump recall on it today and the guy was clueless about resolving the ignition issue.

Hey guys. Sorry if there's a thread about this already but I didn't see one.

My husband and I both have K-GTs. His is a 2010 and on our last trip his key started rotatating freely in the ignition switch. It no longer clicks in each position. Has this ever happened to anyone? Anyone know what is involved with fixing?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!
I would try flushing the lock with WD-40 and then working the key. After a few rounds you should be able to “feel” something trying to rub to the stops.
Good luck.
Gary

Back