• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Center stand blues

willhawks

I own a 2012 K 1600 GTl. By in large, I love the bike...........EXCEPT WHEN TRYING TO GET IT'S FAT A** ON THE CENTERSTAND. i AM 6'2" AND 230 LBS BUT i HAVE GIVEN UP TRYING TO GET IT ON THE CENTERSTAND AFTER NUMEROUS ATTEMPTS ALMOSE ENDED IN ME DROPPING THE BIKE.

Any help/advice would be MUCH appreciated

Best,

3hawks

PS, I am 69 years old, so that factors in
PPSS, Why BMW didn't think the 1600 needed an electric assist for the 1600s is beyond me.

My advice:

1. Set the ESA setting to two up with luggage to get the bike as high as possible
2. Make sure you're on a level surface
3. Until you get the hang of it get someone to stand on the right side just in case
4. Grab the left grip with your left hand, right hand on the rack just above the left case
5. With your right foot push the center stand down, at the same time upright the bike until both feet of the stand are making contact.
6. Then... put all your 230lbs through your right foot (wear boots) onto the center stand, let it do the work. Pull up with your right hand at the same time to apply even more force to the stand.

Practice while you have help. Also remove the bags and top case to lighten things up if needed until you get the hang of it.

Notice the bent arms on the guy in the video - there is almost no lifting going on. The key is to concentrate on pushing DOWN on the centerstand tang to pop the bike up.

As a last resort, run the rear wheel up on a piece of 2x6 before putting the centerstand down.

Notice the bent arms on the guy in the video - there is almost no lifting going on. The key is to concentrate on pushing DOWN on the centerstand tang to pop the bike up.

As a last resort, run the rear wheel up on a piece of 2x6 before putting the centerstand down.

If you have the luxury of being heavyset, I'm sure you can brute stength the bike up onto the stand, but for lighter riders, you have to be much more aware of what you are trying to do with the stand and bike. If you watch the video above closely, you will notice the fellow is not pushing straight down on the stand at the start. He is applying the force to the stand with an understanding of the arc in which the stand must travel. You are applying force to a short lever that needs to rotate through an arc. You will need to apply much more force if you try to push straight down at the start or don't have a feel for what the stand needs to do.

It certainly helps with the bike in 2 up mode, which raises the bike a little, but not required. There is a video of a what appears to be a farily heavyset fellow on the other K1600 forum placing his K1600 on the center stand wearing flip flops or barefoot. The fellow in the video above appears to have a lighter build. I am 150lbs and though I've generally had no trouble getting my GTL on the center stand even in light running shoes. But there was one day where I could not feel what I was doing properly, and even with stiff solde riding boots, it was all I could do to fight it onto the stand. I do not have the weight advantage to fight such a heavy bike onto the stand.

Don't give up. Watch the above video a few times and practice a bit. You will master it.

Step hard on the center stand and pull up on the passenger grab bar. More force on your foot than anything. And yes, some guys run the bike up on a 1/4" board first. Also the suspension setting, two up with luggage helps a bunch.

I have a buddy with a K1600GTLE . He is 5'8" and 170 pounds and he can pop his on on the stand easily. It is how you do it more than brute strength.

Notice the guy in the video. He is not a large guy and all his weight is on the center stand, his other foot is off the ground and he pops it right up.

I had massive difficulty, usually impossible, getting my new to me, '87 K100RT up onto the centre stand when I got it in 2004. :cry

Turned out that rear shock was shot. Replaced the shock and all was well. :thumb

Could this be your issue as well? :dunno

In the mean time, even rolling the bike on a 1"x 6" (or 8") board will make your task easier.

I have a garage full of motorcycles. I can get all that have a center stand on the center stand. All except the K1600b. I weigh 145 lbs.

The knack

Getting it up on the stand requires a knack.
I'm 74, 5 feet nuthin and 160 pounds with a bum hip but I can do it so anyone can.
The previous posts are right but I have to suggest the following as some important points were left out.
First things first, you have to commit to finishing the lift, if you lose your balls mid lift, you won't get it up.
Have the bike on alevel hard surface with the front wheel pointing straight ahead. That's important for your confidence because
if you don't manage to get it up the bike will only roll straight ahead about a foot and you can manage it without dropping it.
For your comfort for the first few tries have someone standing on the right side to hold the bike to prevent the bike from going that way.
Come at it from the left side and grab the handle bar and the rear rack. Stand the bike up straight so it is balanced.
This is key: Put your right foot on the center stand lever and push it down with some weight until you feel the feet engage the floor. The bike might wobble a little as the
feet start taking the weight but that is ok. Once the feet are weighted it isn't going anywhere but up, unless you give up on the lift and it then it will only go forward a little.
Immediately, stand vertically on the lever and, at the same time, pull up on the rack to two o'clock.
The bike rolls back and up on the stand, it doesn't jump straight up and you will feel that.
about 3/4 through the lift the bike will actually go back on the stand a little and the rest is automatic.
The key is to keep both the bike and you vertical and in balance.

I have a garage full of motorcycles. I can get all that have a center stand on the center stand. All except the K1600b. I weigh 145 lbs.

With this information, I stand by my advice about replacing the rear shock. Maybe go to a dealer's showroom and ask if they could remove one from the centre stand and then allow you to put it back on the stand. If you can pop up the showroom bike with little or no difficulty, then that would indicate the problem is not you but your bike.

Use your leg muscles

Many of those who replied to your thread have given you good advise. What helped me get my Bagger on the center stand:
Wear heavy boots, thin soled shoes will cause pain on the bottom of your foot distracting you.
When you are lowering the center stand with your right foot get a feel that both of the center stand legs are touching the ground at the same time. This will prevent the bike being lifted on an angle.
Your right leg is pressing the leg of the center stand down, your right hand is holding the handle next to the seat. Don't try lifting with your right hand, but, rather use it to help extend your leg. The action with your right arm should not be to yank the bike up on the center stand. The largest muscles in your body are your legs, use them to straighten your leg the same way a weight lifter does a squat. I have a shoulder tear and I'm able to do it because I'm using mostly leg muscles.
The front wheel should be straight.

Even with a bad rear shock (which is an absolute with a k16 this old) it will still get on the CS with ease if you select 2up for suspension.
Watch what that guy in the video does and focus on the downward pressure to the CS. Firstly, you must ensure the CS is sitting level and both tangs of the CS is squarely on the ground then proceed.

+1 the art is in the simultaneously pushing with your foot downward(after the bike is squarely on both feet) and the pulling up of your right arm from the grab bar; the action is a bit like using your foot and arm to pull apart (up and down together).

I will pull myself up onto the CS and throw my legs up to get the momentum going; think old, fat ballet dancer.

Reading through this string I have to wonder just how many ways are there to say the same damn thing.... too funny. I guess folks feel a question isn't answered until they answer it.

Back