• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hex Stops Shipments of GEN 2 ezCAN

akbeemer

SURVIVOR
Hex has told venders not to ship GEN 2 ezCANs in anticipation of the GEN 3 being available to ship in the next few weeks. Good news; judging from the complaints about failures on forums, the GEN 2 units are failing at a unacceptable rate. This info comes from The BeemerShop.

Hex has told vendors not to ship GEN 2 ezCANs in anticipation of the GEN 3 being available to ship in the next few weeks. Good news; judging from the complaints about failures on forums, the GEN 2 units are failing at an unacceptable rate. This info comes from The BeemerShop.

That's interesting, I just received my second warranty replacement exCAN GEN 2, I'll have to inquire with Ruan at HEX if I can get a GEN 3 as soon as available. The last failure we determined the unit failed because it cannot operate in cold ambient temperatures.
Thanks for the update.

I would imagine that this also includes the Denali version? Mine had acted up late last year a couple times. I've enjoyed what it's capable of, but if it's not reliable, then I may as well go back to the traditional trigger wire and relay....

That's interesting, I just received my second warranty replacement exCAN GEN 2, I'll have to inquire with Ruan at HEX if I can get a GEN 3 as soon as available. The last failure we determined the unit failed because it cannot operate in cold ambient temperatures.
Thanks for the update.

How "Cold" is too "Cold"?
When I left Alamosa CO this morning it was 26f and I saw low 20's until I dropped off the front range down into Denver. Thankfully my Gen2 warranty unit is still working.

I got word yesterday that the GEN 3 ezCANs were shipped to The BeemerShop and expected to arrive "any day". Hopefully, I will have mine in a week or so.

Thanks for the update.

Update and information received from RUAN with HEX ezCAN:
Temperatures, when my HEX exCAN failed, were in the range of 5F to 10F, I contacted HEX via mojohelpdesk.com ticket asking about the GEN 3 unit below is the response:

My apologies for the delay here, and happy to hear you received your new unit, regarding the Gen 3 ezCAN, we've made a forum post about this to eliminate the rumours:
http://forum.hexcode.co.za/forum/index.php/topic,3553.0.html

The forum post I linked above is a little bit of satire, but links to our actual forum post below regarding changes that we have been working on:)
http://forum.hexcode.co.za/forum/index.php/topic,3552.0.html

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Kind regards
Ruan

I used the term GEN 3 earlier in the thread because that was the term that the representative of the Beemershop used when he advised me my order was being delayed. I received my new and improved ezCAN two days ago and it is installed and working well. The only difference I can see is that it came in a different package (labeled GEN II) and the case of the device is silver.

Last edited:
I got word yesterday that the GEN 3 ezCANs were shipped to The BeemerShop and expected to arrive "any day". Hopefully, I will have mine in a week or so.

It should look great, you'll be the talk of the town:
Gen3.jpg

Attachments

• GEN3.png
    GEN3.png
    311.8 KB · Views: 1,252
I used the term GEN 3 earlier in the thread because that was the term that the representative of the Beemershop used when he advised me my order was being delayed. I received my new and improved ezCAN two days ago and it is installed and working well. The only difference I can see is that it came in a different package (labeled GEN II) and the case of the device is silver.

I didn't see this before I posted the one below yours, but I couldn't resist, it was in jest only you were only going by what you were told, glad to hear your issue was resolved, so was mine.
Cheers.

I didn't see this before I posted the one below yours, but I couldn't resist, it was in jest only you were only going by what you were told, glad to hear your issue was resolved, so was mine.
Cheers.

Also had Annie's problem resolved. Her GEN I failed in October. It was three years old so I bought a GEN II for her. I less than two weeks it began acting up. The auxiliary lights would go out and not come back on. Twice I reset to factory defaults and reprogrammed the device and twice it failed. Contacted Hex and they gave me a number that allows the Beemershop to ship me one of the new ones.

As frustrating as it is having these things fail, at least Hex is easy to deal with when it comes to replacing them.

http://forum.hexcode.co.za/forum/index.php/topic,3552.0.html

Over January we noticed a slight but noticeable increase in specific ezCAN failures. Albeit a small portion of the overall units, it was an uptick in failures highlighted by our trending. Although we have seen a small portion of similar failures the numbers were so low that previous investigations had failed to pinpoint the origins of the failures. Armed with more information at our disposal we launched a detailed investigation into the cause of the failures. As the initial investigation hinted at a possible hardware issue, we temporarily halted production, until such time as we had a definitive reason pointing to the origin of the failures.

Also had Annie's problem resolved. Her GEN I failed in October. It was three years old so I bought a GEN II for her. I less than two weeks it began acting up. The auxiliary lights would go out and not come back on. Twice I reset to factory defaults and reprogrammed the device and twice it failed. Contacted Hex and they gave me a number that allows the Beemershop to ship me one of the new ones.

As frustrating as it is having these things fail, at least Hex is easy to deal with when it comes to replacing them.

HEX/RUAN are fantastic technical support, hey if we didn't have a few little problems we wouldn't learn anything. And when it is working, which is the majority of the time, it works fantastic.

And if you have a GS 911 it is likely paid for itself 10X over, it's a great product and gives you a better understanding of your motorcycle.

I highly recommend both products.

Two failures in two months

Le sigh...My second unit has failed. Had the first unit (installed when I bought the bike in August 2020) fail in Feb. 2021. Just had the second one fail this weekend. Ticket submitted. NAHC. :(
TwoFails.png

Got home on Saturday and noticed the aux lights/horn weren't working. Pulled off the passenger seat and saw that there was no status light at all on the ezCan Hex unit. So I attached it to my computer in proper order: The software recognized the unit--it showed all circuits and allowed for configurations--but upon disconnect, the status light went out and all accessories failed.

::sad-trombone::

I did not see this thread when it first appeared. I have a Gen 2 EZCan, and it worked great for a year, and then went psychotic on my last tour. The failures were similar to those mentioned earlier here: shutting off suddenly, failing to come on at all, blinking one aux light continuously. I wrote tech support, and received authorization for a replacement unit in 2 days. I appreciate the immediate support without questioning me about it — I was primed for an argument and was pleased that I didn’t need one. Props to Hex for replacing the unit…

But I am still somewhat disappointed that I needed to launch on an 8-day ride, and have my conspicuity lights fail, before I was given a replacement for a known issue. My device is registered with Hex. I have a GS-911 that is also registered with Hex. My point is that Hex has my contact info, and I am a good customer. So, why didn’t they send me a recall notification 2 months ago, when they knew there was a problem? I think my aux lights make me safer, and a recall would have resulted in a safer ride for me.

For all of you who have a Gen 2 EZCan…. Get the replacement.

Cap

The ezCAN I received shortly after starting this thread has now failed. This is my third and Annie is on her third on her GS as well. When I get my current unit replaced I think I will sell it and go back to a FuzeBlock. The ezCAN is a fantastic piece of gear when it works but it is unreliable.

I put driving lights on my RT. I old schooled them with a handlebar mounted rocker switch. All these fancy gizmos are great, when they work.

I Considered an Hexcan or some similar device, but I can reach up and hit the rocker switch in a second, where scrolling through the wonder wheel takes a few seconds and is more of a distraction.

Integrating “add on” technology to proprietary technology has always been tricky.
OM

Hex seems to have done a very good job of integrating into the BMW CANBus system. When the ezCAN is functional it performs quite well and offers several options on how to control accessories. The issue appears to be in the manufacturing of the physical device, some of the adhesives used in assembling are failing; or so the internet says.

Update: Beemershop shipped my replacement EZCan quickly, and I was able to get it installed in a few minutes without removing the rear rack. After some fiddling with firmware updates and configuration, everything works again. Great service after the sale by Ted Porter. Fingers crossed that the new unit will be more reliable.

Cap

Back