Thread: Trip suggestion wanted: One or 2 day loop starting and ending in Nashville, TN

Trip suggestion wanted: One or 2 day loop starting and ending in Nashville, TN

I have a friend who wants to become a pillion passenger.
    I want to put together a fun, scenic, twisty trip that can involve one or two nights away.
    The start, and end of this trip would be near enough to Nashville, TN.

I am thinking over toward Boone, or Asheville, NC, a little tourism, and ride back.
    What are the must see stops in that general area. I do not know that part of the country as a tourist.

Ideas welcome,
    Kevin
    2011 R1200RT

What could be better than a North to South exploration of the Natchez Trace Parkway. Beautiful scenery, twisty enough, go as far as your/her ass allows in the day. The further South you get the prettier it will be!
    The only dumb question is the unasked question!

Team Pterodactyl - When we ride, we ride!

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnsd View Post
    What could be better than a North to South exploration of the Natchez Trace Parkway. Beautiful scenery, twisty enough, go as far as your/her ass allows in the day. The further South you get the prettier it will be!
    I second the Natchez Trace--especially if your rookie passenger needs to go a tad slower and stop a tad more often. The Trace is wonderful scenery, but the speed limit is too slow for me and many accomplished riders. Although it would be nice for a get-used-to-the-saddle ride.

Good luck.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    The Trace doesn't qualify as twisty IMHO but if you are breaking in a new pillion that might be a good thing. It is scenic usually, boring a little, safer than most due to no traffic or cross roads for the most part and fun enough with historic stops along the way. It would allow you both to get used to each other very safely. It would not allow you to scare her off like some mountain switchbacks might which would be a good thing. There is not a lot of tourism along the way unless you get off at major stops. French Camp is a good place to eat on the Trace.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...hlight=natchez

Quote Originally Posted by westcoastkevin View Post

I have a friend who wants to become a pillion passenger.
    I want to put together a fun, scenic, twisty trip that can involve one or two nights away.
    The start, and end of this trip would be near enough to Nashville, TN.

I am thinking over toward Boone, or Asheville, NC, a little tourism, and ride back.
    What are the must see stops in that general area. I do not know that part of the country as a tourist.

Ideas welcome,
    Kevin
    Ashville, check out the Biltmore mansion, but you can spend the better part of a day there. Of course you have the Tail of the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway and some other great rides.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Skyway yes, Dragon for newbie pillion, if you never want her to ride again sure.

IMO, the Tail of the Dragon is highly over rated, but some people insist on riding it.

441 between Gatlinburg and Cherokee is a decent road.

We were at the Biltmore a few years ago. Got there at 9 AM. Our wives wanted the wander around the gardens first. That ran until close to noon. Then ate lunch there, they had a sandwich shop. Then we got in for the house tour, I forget, but seems to me it was 1-1/2 or 2 hours. If you like touring old mansions it is worth it. Crazy, extravagant house. So by the time we got out of there it was 3-4 PM. you can just hit the house tour and hit the road, but i would still plan for 3 hours minimum.

Concur that doing serious twisties with a rookie is not a great idea.

Perhaps you could find some non-highway backroads to get you down to Leeds AL, and the Barber Vintage M/C Museum (you might even look for a scheduled race on a particular weekend.) You both might be totally impressed by a full day's eXploration of this eXpansive facility!
    https://www.barbermuseum.org

You're also free to stop by our little Space & Rocket Center here in Rocket City while headed to/from Leeds... Try to avoid the traffic in B'ham!
    https://rocketcenter.com

Have a safe and enjoyable ride! Cheers,
    Ciao!
    HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen

'14 K-GT -- '09 650GS-twin
    '75 R90S -- '82 R100CS
    Grand Poobah, https://www.bmwmoal.org

I guess it would be up to the passenger.

I am thinking by the time they got there the passenger would have relaxed and gotten the hang of it. Also depends on the passenger seating. A sissy bar or back rest helps.

When my wife first started riding with me I noticed she was moving around in corners, every one. I asked her what she was doing, and she responded, leaning into the corner! Apparently she would lean her upper body into the corner which messed me up a tiny bit. I had a backrest on the bike and told her to put her back against the backrest and sit there, I will do the rest.