• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2008 1200RT Rocker Shaft End Play and Noise

chrisinsc

So all the rocker shafts measured .250-.290mm in clearance values but I am wondering since the low end of the allowable clearance is .05mm whether there is benefit from an engine noise stand point to adjust them to that value.

My 09 RT developed a tick on the left side at idle and slightly off idle.
I found that 2 of the left valves clearances were very marginally wide and the rocker shafts endplay was definitely in spec.
I adjusted all valves towards tight end of spec and once buttoned up I still had the tick.
I opened it up again and tightened up the shaft endplay and that solved it.
It was more of a pain to make the adjustment than I thought it would be.
The tightening sequence that included cylinder head nut/bolt would widen clearance.
And I did not really like messing with head torque but all has been good for thousands of miles.

My 09 RT developed a tick on the left side at idle and slightly off idle.
I found that 2 of the left valves clearances were very marginally wide and the rocker shafts endplay was definitely in spec.
I adjusted all valves towards tight end of spec and once buttoned up I still had the tick.
I opened it up again and tightened up the shaft endplay and that solved it.
It was more of a pain to make the adjustment than I thought it would be.
The tightening sequence that included cylinder head nut/bolt would widen clearance.
And I did not really like messing with head torque but all has been good for thousands of miles.

Thanks for the data point. I did that adjustment on my 1100RT, both sides of course. Definitely quieted down the valve noise. I recall the actual adjustment being tricky in that the tightening of the bolts tended to change the clearance so it took a few shots at it to end up with a satisfactory result.

I do not loosen the bolts off completely.
Loosen just enough so gently tapping with a brass hammer will adjust the clearance.
The setting won't change when re-torquing.

Reporting back. Right side will not get closer than .100 mm clearance. Runs out of play. Also, the clearance was initially not the same on the same shaft fore and aft and I had to square up the shafts by moving the bearing cap forward in this case. Very odd. In the end it was the right side that was clacky and just getting the clearance from .25 range to .12 or less quieted the system up. Next valve adj I will fiddle with the left side.

Back