Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: K1100 Clutch Push Rod Seal

Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    So, what is anybody's guess of how long Motobins or others will have this seal available? Is it prudent to stock up on a couple of one has a K-bike collecting habit?
    Given that the seal is listed as ENDED rather than “backordered, no delivery date specified”, I would hazard a guess that these won’t be reissued by BMW. That said, a shipment could arrive tomorrow for all we know. If you’re worried about it, lay in a couple. That seal is a unicorn, I think—I’ve not been able to find a non-BMW source for that size.

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

3 Red Bricks
    Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    So, what is anybody's guess of how long Motobins or others will have this seal available? Is it prudent to stock up on a couple of one has a K-bike collecting habit?
    Just did that this morning. I ordered 5. I need them because I replace transmission input shafts on peoples' transmissions that have neglected their clutch spline lubes.

The bean counters at BMW have taken control of inventory the past few years. More and more they are refusing to remake out of stock items for the older bikes. Not like the "good old days" afew years ago.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Hello,

First I'd like to thank all the people that responded to my original post.

My local BMW dealer told me on Monday (3/15/2021) the push rod seal is no longer available and that BMW has no plans to supply it. I called Euro Motoelectrics and they are out of stock. Today I called Max BMW and they said the part is available, so I order the seal. Hopefully I'll see the oil seal in the near future.

Regards,

Richard in Commerce Township, MI

3 Red Bricks
    Being an older dealership with four locations, plus the fact that that seal fits so many of the older Kbikes, it's not suprising that they still have a few on the shelf.Yey Max!

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    Given that the seal is listed as ENDED rather than “backordered, no delivery date specified”, I would hazard a guess that these won’t be reissued by BMW... That seal is a unicorn, I think—I’ve not been able to find a non-BMW source for that size.
    Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    The bean counters at BMW have taken control of inventory the past few years. More and more they are refusing to remake out of stock items for the older bikes. Not like the "good old days" afew years ago.
    Well, nature abhors a vacuum... I wouldn't be too surprised if someone in the aftermarket starts to manufacture these for sale though places like Motobins, EME, and other non-dealerships (especially now that everyone is seeing this thread and immediately buying all of the remaining ones on the shelves, signalling the market there is a new demand...).
    Jim (MOA 83200)
    '78 R80/7 (Anastasia) and '84 R100RS (The Millennium Falcon), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '97 Nissan XE PU (Mighty Mouse)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas, baby!)

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    Just did that this morning. I ordered 5. I need them because I replace transmission input shafts on peoples' transmissions that have neglected their clutch spline lubes.

Good plan. I think I will get a few myself.
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Hello,

I received and installed the clutch push rod seal and a new clutch plate. Now I have another problem, the new lock washers under the clutch housing cover blots (6) are splitting. When I torque the bolts I can feel the washer crack and in one case I heard it split. I wasn't even at full torque. Maybe 12 ft-lbs when they split.

These washers were bought from the dealer. What to do?

McMaster-Carr has 7mm external tooth lock washers, both zinc plated and 316 SS. Should I try them?

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Richard Flood, Commerce Township, MI
    IMG_20210327_172950271[1].jpg
    Last edited by richo2006; 03-27-2021 at 10:16 PM.

If the dealer is close by, maybe present the washers and explain what’s happening and see about replacements—if you want to go to that length. Otherwise, yes—try the McMaster washers. I have found their hardware to be of fairly good quality, quite possibly better than what the young MBA bean-counters at Motorrad are sourcing now. ☹️

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Hello DeVern,

I live about 25 minutes from the dealer I purchased the parts and 35 minutes from another. I guess I'm lucky in that regard.

I called them today and the parts guy is going to talk with their "Older K Bike" mechanic on Monday and see if he has any insight. The only thing is that if I get more washers from the dealer and if they came from the same batch, then they will crack also.

Regards,

Richard Flood in Commerce Township, MI

3 Red Bricks
    Richard,

Do the clutch bolts fit snugly in the washer hole or are they a very loose fit?

A loose fit (like a size too big) could cause the force to be uneven on the washer, causeing it to break.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Hello Lee,

These are all OEM parts. The washers that didn't break are now elongated. Tomorrow I'll measure the long and short ID and come up with a average ID measurement.

Regards,

Update Lee, the washers fix bolts correctly.
    Last edited by richo2006; 03-28-2021 at 11:22 PM.