• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Electronic Gremlins?

217don

I have a low mileage 2016 R1200RT. I frequently have to reset both the User and Backgound settings because when I start it it defaults back to the RT logo even when I have set it to the speedo setting. Is this a symptom of a looming problem with the electronics?

As Omega man says it sounds like a possible electrical issue that is caused by a few possibilities. First, as suggested, check for a weakening battery (easily at ~5 years old), the 2nd thing to check if you identify the battery is in good condition, is your grounds between the problem and the battery, working from the battery out.

No. Original battery failed after about two and a half years so this battery was replaced in spring 2019. That battery and this one are aways kept on a BMW charger.

I would try to parallel up another battery and watch for a change. The trickle charger isn’t made for a “jump” start attempt.
OM

I have a 2016 RT this is not normal. As the thread evolution suggests, your battery may be weak causing it to reset to default between rides. I do know that the bike can not be charged through the charging sockets and canbus. It will destroy one of your cells in the battery. Went through 4 batteries in the first year before a tech made the “right” suggestion.

Batteries can go bad in two years. Doesn't happen often but it does happen. And if grounds and easily checked connections are ok, it's worth it to me to try a new battery. I have spent hours with wiring diagrams and multi-meters diagnosing such gremlins.

Not normal in my experience. Has it done this consistently, or is it a new issue?

I would check the voltage on the battery. This means taking the battery off the charger for a few hours and then checking it. You can also check to see how low the voltage goes when you engage the starter. If it drops too low, your settings will reset.

I have a 2016 RT this is not normal. As the thread evolution suggests, your battery may be weak causing it to reset to default between rides. I do know that the bike can not be charged through the charging sockets and canbus. It will destroy one of your cells in the battery. Went through 4 batteries in the first year before a tech made the “right” suggestion.

I don't quite understand. What was the right suggestion the tech made?

Not normal in my experience. Has it done this consistently, or is it a new issue?

I would check the voltage on the battery. This means taking the battery off the charger for a few hours and then checking it. You can also check to see how low the voltage goes when you engage the starter. If it drops too low, your settings will reset.

It's a relatively new issue. First popped up last fall when we took a 500 mile trip along the Mississippi River. We stoped at a scenic overlook and when I restarted the bike it defaulted back to the RT logo. I reset it and everything seemed OK. I live in the midwest so not much riding in the winter months. Popped up again when I took the bike out for the first time this month.

The BMW charger reads full charge (100%) on its little screen.

... The BMW charger reads full charge (100%) on its little screen.
Unfortunately, that rarely (even with a high-quality charger) tells you the true story.

I've had several battery chargers show several batteries to be fine that were not. A relatively inexpensive battery tester like the $50 Topdon Artibattery 101 will give you a proper reading of your battery's health and can check your charging system some as well.

While a battery can go bad within 2-years (it can go bad in one day), that is a definite failure of either the battery or the bike. I've had sparkplugs go bad, even had some come out of the box bad, but that is a fail and absolutely not normal.

Unfortunately, that rarely (even with a high-quality charger) tells you the true story.

I've had several battery chargers show several batteries to be fine that were not. A relatively inexpensive battery tester like the $50 Topdon Artibattery 101 will give you a proper reading of your battery's health and can check your charging system some as well.

While a battery can go bad within 2-years (it can go bad in one day), that is a definite failure of either the battery or the bike. I've had sparkplugs go bad, even had some come out of the box bad, but that is a fail and absolutely not normal.

Dealer says it is the battery but I am wondering about this. The bike was delivered in November 2016. After checking my records, I had a battery replaced under warranty in 9/17 so this one is 3 years 7 months old. It is always on a trickle charger so this seems like a little too frequent replacement. Dealer checked out the charging system and they say it is OK. I hope we can put some miles on this year .... only managed two 500 mile trips last year during lulls in the pandammit.

Dealer says it is the battery but I am wondering about this. The bike was delivered in November 2016. After checking my records, I had a battery replaced under warranty in 9/17 so this one is 3 years 7 months old. It is always on a trickle charger so this seems like a little too frequent replacement. Dealer checked out the charging system and they say it is OK. I hope we can put some miles on this year .... only managed two 500 mile trips last year during lulls in the pandammit.

We have all suggested the battery. The dealer thinks it’s the battery :dunno
OM

If you get 3 years out of the oem bmw battery you're doing well. This one is over 3 years. The trickle charger doesn't keep it from having internal issues or being lousy to begin with.

As others speculated before the dealer confirmed it - You need a battery.

With the wet heads one cannot charge the battery through the OEM trickle charger, the CANBUS does not properly let it go into trickle mode and it will “burn” a battery cell. I went through 4 batteries in the first year until my tech said to get it off the the charger. Since then, I’ve been on the same battery; about 4 years now.

If your going to charge a wet head battery pull the battery cover and go directly to the posts on the right side.

And.... If you are going to be changing the battery, do yourself a favor and add a charge/accessory connector. SAE is probably the most popular.
I should have mentioned it in a previous post.
OM

Back