• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Adding some personal heat and convenience to the bike

CallMikeE

LegoHead
I did it, I drilled into the plastic today. I started riding in Colorado with a heated vest and the grips and seat are great but what about my vest?

I decided based of what I have found online and in the forums to go with the HEX ezCAN, thank you guys!

Controller - have a Gerbing permanent mount that came off my last bike but then I would have to drill even more holes in the bike and run a bunch of wires. This is my solution and it is not done I just started today and I will continue to update over the next day or so, we are getting 2 feet of snow so I will have some time in the garage this weekend.

Solution - HEX ezCAN with their updated firmware you can setup one of the ports as heated gear tied to the grip settings, you define how hot the vest should be 20,40,60,80,100 based on the settings on your grips, big win! What about the wife she wants it on 100 all the time, I can use another port set to Aux lights #2 and adjust her vest in 10% increments, will be adding an LED up front to monitor the voltage and I can turn it on and adjust it all from the wonder wheel, another big win!

Adding a Dashcam and my garage door controller to another port and using the final port for some police lights (red) I had on my other bike as additional brake lights.

I have mounted the HEX ezCAN and the 2 panel mounts and garage door button, will get them connected after I have lunch with other fellow riders.

20210313_085820.jpg

With cables plugged in, the ring around the button is blue and will be on when it has power to the garage door controller.

20210313_085947.jpg

Update

Good progress, both heated ports are setup and working with a status light for the back port. Garage door switch installed and wired up and installed the dashcam, overall everything fit and I still have a "little" room left under the seat.

Installed with garage door button active:
20210314_152046.jpg

One of the wiring harness made for the heated gear:
20210313_160505.jpg

Picture of running the status light:
20210313_164546.jpg

Getting close to having everything tied in:
20210314_140711.jpg

Done for the day:
20210314_151808.jpg

Video showing the functionality of the second heated port,

What is left? Still have to mount the front and rear camera for the B1M Dashcam, GPS antenna, and Mic, install my emergency lights as break lights with everything utilizing the HEX ezCAN device. I think it is a clean install I hope it helps others to see what can be done.

Side note, it is officially a blizzard outside still have not canceled my Ironbutt for the first day of spring next Saturday :)
20210314_165809.jpg

Updated video

Okay I left all my tripods at work and with a snow day I thought I would give it a try.

This is the current configuration.

Very cool. I did something similar for heat, though I control mine via my Neutrino most of the time.
20190722_165258.jpg

I created attachment ports for two heat receptacles and added a garage door opener shown here by the two silver buttons on the battery cover.
20190728_104147.jpg

I also have an EZCan mounted for lighting.

Nice work

Bike looks great and you kept it clean under the seat, I mounted my camera under the headlight with a command strip. Rock solid on the video, still looking for a good place on the back, getting to much shake. Plan on taking the top case off so I might have to make a bracket to tie into the license plate.

Back