• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

What tires are you using?

skydog1978

Just bought a K 1600 B. I was wondering what tires everyone is using and the average mileage that you are getting? Personally, I would like a tire that offers the best mileage (99 percent interstate) and I am willing to sacrifice cornering. Thanks in advance for your input.

Just bought a K 1600 B. I was wondering what tires everyone is using and the average mileage that you are getting? Personally, I would like a tire that offers the best mileage (99 percent interstate) and I am willing to sacrifice cornering. Thanks in advance for your input.

Michelin Road 5 GT...

The 5GT rear tire has had reports of it rubbing the frame. Michelin removed that rear from its recommended list. Most have not had the problem. Dunlop has new Roadsmart IV that is getting some good reviews. Look over on the website K1600 forum for lots of info on both tires and others.

The 5GT rear tire has had reports of it rubbing the frame. Michelin removed that rear from its recommended list. Most have not had the problem. Dunlop has new Roadsmart IV that is getting some good reviews. Look over on the website K1600 forum for lots of info on both tires and others.

Thanks

Michelin RD-4 GT's on my 2016 K1600 GTL Excl (I love them).

I'm running the Michelin Pilot RD 4-GT's. I was considering the 5's (I always assume the newer model is better) but my local shop suggested I'd prefer the stiffer sidewall of the 4's more, plus the slightly better price point didn't hurt either. I replaced the tires immediately after I purchased the bike (a 2016 K1600 GTL Exclusive). It had only 9700 miles on it at that time and what appeared to be original tires which were shot. So far, I've put about 800 miles on them and the bike rides and handles fantastically. Not sure if the 5's are better, but from the reviews I've read, doesn't seem like you cam go wrong with the Michelin's.

Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT's

I recently had to replace a set of tires mid-trip and went with the Michelins, mostly because that was what the dealer had on hand when I was passing through. I can't really speak to longevity with only about 3,000 miles on them, but I did most of the PCH from SoCal up to Washington with a lot of twistys and freeways and I can't say I have any complaints. What I will say is that I got the bike in Florida with an old set of the same tires on it that looked like they had been ridden in a straight line for 10,000 miles - center worn about all the way down. It took some effort to get into and out of a turn (getting off and back on to the flat spot) , so it was an entirely different experience once I got the new rubber on. Anyway, I think I would have tried the Pirelli Angel GT's if I could have found them while on the road (had them on another bike and thought they were great) but so far I can't complain about the Michelin's.

Edit: I have a GTL, not the bagger, FWIW.

I’ve been using the Michelin pilot road 4 gt tires . Running about 42/43 psi and great in the rain as I found out recently and not just dry. Tire wear is really dependent on the type of surfaces you ride on. Different states use different materials and types of paving . South Carolina tears up the tires more than PA for example .

I know there was an issue with the PR5 GTs with post 2016 models with a slight rub that occurred during the first 100 or so miles that stopped after that point so that tire on those bikes is not recommended.

Also…. I don’t know the speed rating or load rating for the regular road 5 but I do know my dealer I trust recommend the road 4 GTs for ALL k bikes. Btw I do have a B model too.

However I am thinking for my next set trying these out . Maximum mileage guaranteed.
7675d569d2908c0dffaa8a8fb03a1a7f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are a highway only type of guy and want high mileage tires, why not go darkside? Those guys get 30-40k miles out of a set.
For standard HW sidewall tires, you only have a few options and none of which will give you over @6k miles.
I've tried Bridgestone Battleaxe, PR4 and Pirelli Angel GT A-spec and GT 2 A-spec, sticking with the GT 2 A-spec. I run my tires really hard, mostly 2 up and they are great tires on all sorts of roads. I enjoy the twisties and 2 up this bike abuses the tires. My favorite so far.

Just got back from Americade 2021 on my K1600b. Running my first set of Michelin Road 4's. 6000 miles and the rear might have another 500-700 miles to the wear bars...maybe. Front tire is badly cupped and needs to be replaced but I'll tolerate it until both can be done. These bikes eat tires for lunch. But of course I already knew that. I feel the severe front cupping is a by-product of the infamous "weave" the bike does in dirty air, primarily on the interstate, where the bulk of my miles have been accumulated. Think I'll try the Dunlop Roadsmarts next. They have been getting good reviews.

Back