• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

O2 sensor lifespan?

BC1100S

Left Coast Rider
On the K12/13's, what is the typical life of the O2 sensor? 50k miles? 100k? Should one look at replacing it as a matter of course at a certain mileage?

Thanks in advance!

I check function with GS911 seeing it on rolling graph. Never seen a lot of conversations about lifespan

Assuming clean fuel use throughout the bikes life and keeping it serviced and running properly one should expect to get at least 60k miles of lifespan.

They don't typically fail outright unless contaminated by bad fuel or poor combustion, but they do start to react more slowly as they age. That can be seen by monitoring the voltage change with a tool like the GS911 as was mentioned. The value should switch from a lean to rich to lean continually. The computer looks at the voltage value and adjusts the fuel mixture to increase or decrease accordingly always hunting up and down to keep as close to the desired parameter as possible. If the voltage from the sensor is slower to change, it's probably going to eventually log a code as the system is expecting a change in value from a corresponding change in inputs and does not see it quickly enough.

Just for information's sake - I had to replace "Sensor #2" in my Camry at about 70,000 miles. It looked ok, but obviously the car's computer didn't like it any more.
Sensor #1 (in the exhaust manifold) looked pretty clean, and Sensor #3 looked pretty dark and grungy, so I replaced all three "just because".

Last edited:
On cars, especially Fords, I found it best to use OEM sensors.

we also found that using an old time anti-fouling device, used for spark plugs would satisfy a dash light :whistle
OM

Thanks guys! :thumb

"If" a sensor should fail/malfunction, the check engine light will come on. When the check engine light comes on a failure code will be registered in the ECU. A readout of the ECU (either yourself or at the dealer) will provide information on the cause. If all is well, then the sensor could have failed. (rare, but happens). You need to then replace it with an OEM sensor (on BMW bikes they run between 140 and 200 Dollars) and are a bear to install since the pigtail connector is hidden in the most inaccessible places like under and or around the tank, etc. you CAN splice and solder into the existing harness (takes about 20 minutes that way, (YMMV).

Again, I appreciate all the responses.

What about deterioration of the O2 sensor? Can it start to give a less-than-optimal signal? Or is it a simple works / doesn't work situation? I'm starting to notice what I believe is a rich condition at idle - rhythmic idle variation.

On a car, upon first start the temperature of the engine is sensed and being "not up to temperature", the engine runs rich(er) to allow for running sans choke.....open loop.
Once the engine is running, the now up to temperature engine no longer needs the rich condition (choke) and the O2 sensors adjust fuel trim to satisfy emissions- closed loop.
I'm pretty sure this is the basics for a motorcycle as well. Yes the 02 sensors go bad. Sometimes gradually, sometimes all at once. Running an engine with the "check engine light" on for extended periods even though the engine is running like it always did is hard on the sensors and can ruin the catalytic converter.
Years and mileage take their toll on all these systems.
OM

I had one fail on my Subaru. I didn't get a light, but noticed that my fuel mileage had dropped about 3 m.p.g. A scan showed the failed sensor.

The mileage was something like 70,000 at the time.

Last edited:
On the K12/13's, what is the typical life of the O2 sensor? 50k miles? 100k? Should one look at replacing it as a matter of course at a certain mileage?

Thanks in advance!

I've never seen one fail in all the boxers with O2 sensors I've owned (4). The highest mileage bikes were my old 1994 R1100RS 159k and 2005 R1200RT 130k. I don't know if it makes a difference but the O2 sensors on the boxers are more exposed to the airflow than the K bikes. I think. Part numbers for the R and K O2 sensors are different. I suspect that's because of the wiring harness for the sensor. Also, 2005 - 2013 boxers have two sensors vs. one for the K12/K13s of the same years.

Back