• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tank bag?

chadwick

Does anybody use a tank bag that they love and would highly recommend?

I’m looking at the givi tanklock bags, but they’re not waterproof. Waterproof would be a really great feature. The BMW tank bag is waterproof, but it seems cumbersome with the strap system that holds it on...

I have the Mosko Moto Nomad which is now called the Nomax and has been updated since mine. I love this bag and find it very efficient for what I carry. I run it on 3 bikes now and will be running it on 4. They primarily build for the Adventure/offroad market but it works just fine on my street bikes.
https://moskomoto.com/collections/motorcycle-tank-bags/products/nomax-tank-bag
IMG_3107_heic-L.jpg

IMG_3236_heic-L.jpg

IMG_3662-L.jpg

IMG_3398-L.jpg

IMG_3511_heic-L.jpg

The BMW tank bag on my RT just clips right in. No straps. It's a 2010 though so maybe the design is a bit different. I really like the bag. Waterproof, holds a ton, not in the way. After 11 years the see through plastic on the top is starting to get a little discolored though, but that's fine for me, I have GPS now and don't look at the map in the folder.

Jerry

The BMW tank bag is waterproof, but it seems cumbersome with the strap system that holds it on...

Most of our tank bags have used straps and it's easy to live with. Unclip the the front strap or straps and slide the bag back past the gas cap.

SW Motech has been my choice for years. Installs or removes in about 0.5 seconds. Various sizes to fit your requirements. Swaps easily between bikes.

SW Motech has been my choice for years. Installs or removes in about 0.5 seconds. Various sizes to fit your requirements. Swaps easily between bikes.

I second that. I find the Engage size is perfect, contoured the tank and very easy on an off. Have had them on a couple of bikes Just got the new "pro" version for this next summer

I have both the BMW and SW Motech tankbags. Both are elegant units but of the two, I prefer the BMW one, as I worry about a ring mount release mechanism failure on the SW, which would prevent fueling on a trip. The BMW strap system is very easy to use, and fueling is a snap.

Waterproof would be a really great feature. The BMW tank bag is waterproof, but it seems cumbersome with the strap system that holds it on...

The 10 liter BMW bag I used on my K1300S was waterproof and that really is a nice feature. I was nice not messing with a rain cover. Even if a rain cover has a clear window it's hard to read a map through it.
As I mentioned above the straps are not a big deal. Only downside is it touches the tank so you need to keep the top of the tank clean when using it.

10 Liter bag.JPG

10 Liter.JPG

My favorite tank bag of all time was the one I had on my R1150R. That bike had a steel fuel tank. And the tank bag was magnetic. Put on. Pull off. No muss, no fuss, no bother. No straps, no buckles, no latches, no levers.

Alas it is useless on K75 aluminum tanks, and late model plastic tupperware.

I've used two a Chase Harper 750 tank bag that I ran with for years until it finally gave up the ghost. I'm now using an RKA 13L Shilo bag with power option. I used a removable rain cover on both, worked well nothing ever got wet. Both bags had straps for fuel ups a quick disconnect of single buckle on the trailing side and bag moves sideways to allow easy fill up. Both bags were quality kit, well made and durable.

Lots of options out there, good luck in choosing.

My first tank bag was a Wolfman which I liked and it worked on my 640. After awhile it wasn't quite as big as I wanted and the map pocket drove me nuts as it was just a bit too small which made for lousy folding of maps. The other good thing about my Mosko is it doesn't get in the way stating on the pegs offload.

edit: the harness is 4 fastex style buckles, I pop the front 2 to access the gas cap. quick and easy.

shiny and new
IMG_0523-L.jpg

P5310003-XL.jpg

Last edited:

I am fortunate enough to have two BMW's, and so having equipment that can be used on either bike is important for me from a monetary standpoint, and also it expedites changing the tankbag from one bike to the other with speed. SW Motech is the way to go. Everything I would need is in there for either bike. The quick mount system used for this tankbag is choice, never had any issues with rain water entering the bag. For me at least, it's been a great investment.

Back