• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The BMW GOAT

joetRS

Joe T
As you all know the 100th Anniversary of BMW Motorrad is just two years away, 2023. The question is this: What is the greatest BMW Model of all time? Please add your TOP THREE MODELS and I will compile a spread sheet and see what we get. I did this on a smaller scale with my local club in Rhode Island and thought the larger sample would get closer to the truth.

Please list your three in simple form like 1981 R80GS, etc. for number two and three and then add your commentary after that...just for simplicity's sake.

Thanks and let's see if this works.

Kindly,
Joe T
Ocean State BMW Riders

1. S1000RR
2. R90S
3. R80GS

1. Dunlop opened his account at the 2016 Isle of Man TT Races in the Superbike race, which he led from start to finish. Astride a BMW S1000RR, Dunlop bettered the existing absolute course speed record attained during one-lap, also setting a new average speed for the six lap race of 130.306mph in a race-record time of 1 hour, 44 minutes, 14.259 seconds for the 226 miles of racing.[11] In addition Dunlop also won the prestigious John Williams Trophy.

2. Two R90S bikes placed first and second at the very first AMA Superbike race at Daytona International Speedway in 1976.

3. The R 80 G/S was developed for BMW by engineer Rüdiger Gutsche, a successful competitor in the International Six Days Trial on his specially adapted R75/5.[4] In 1981, Hubert Auriol, riding a R 8 G/S prepared by German company HPN Motorradtechnik,[5] won the Paris-Dakar Rally.[6] He repeated his success on an 870 cc version of the R 80 G/S in 1983.[5]Gaston Rahier won the Dakar on a R 80 G/S in 1984, and then again on a larger 1,000 cc engined R 80 G/S in 1985.[5][7] To commemorate their success, BMW launched the R 80 G/S Paris-Dakar special edition which featured a 7 imperial gallons (32 l; 8.4 US gal) fuel tank,[7] fitted with dual petcocks and signed by Gaston Rahier.[8]

1. R1200R 2008
2. R100GSPD 1993
3. R100RS 1981

These were selected based on my personal experiences as an owner. They are the bikes I remember, miss and think about occasionally. Are they the greatest models of all time? Well, at this moment they are to me. I also learned that a motorcycle can have a time and place in which it is great to the owner. My R100RS is such a bike. Bought it in California and rode it in central and northern California, made my first two cross country trips on it, took it to Germany for three years and then sold it in Kansas. Great memories on a fantastic bike. Had the opportunity to ride one a couple of years ago and realized that keeping the memories was the better idea. Something had changed and it was not the bike.

Last edited:
R80G/S - It was the start of the GS and adventure bikes in general.

K1 - It was a like nothing that had ever been done before. A styling exercise that was not just a one off show bike.

R1100RS, - The first total update and modernization of the classic boxer engine leading to it remaining the iconic BMW engine of choice and was the bike to introduce the Telelever front suspension.

Back