• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Brake fluid

5.1 maybe 5.0 NO NO

But why? DOT 4 is specified and sufficient.

Dot 5.1 is compatible with 3 and 4 and is higher boiling point than 4 without being silicone based. It is compatible in most instances thought i would ask here. Better brake performance is always a good thing.

High temp maybe needed on track day. But for general riding highly doubt you would see the benefits, unless one likes to ride in such away to get the brakes up to race track temperature all the time.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Glad this is such a welcoming forum. Seems to be like all the others, a bunch of jerks who post a lot, questions why someone asks a question that they don't agree with and then ridicule anyone that is new.

Try to think of this as a conversation you would have with some fellow riders while sitting around a table drinking coffee, or sitting around a campfire having the beverage of your choice. You ask your question about brake fluid and one of your fellow riders (call him Charlie) asks about your reasons for the questions. Certainly Charlie's question is not an answer to your question, but how do you respond? One choice might be to respond in a friendly manner and answer Charlie's question; another choice might be to respond to Charlie in prickly sort of way that shows your anger because of the question being asked. Being friendly will likely lead to the discussion continuing and perhaps a more direct answer to your question. A prickly response will lead to.... well we know where that will lead.

Don't write us off as just a bunch of jerks, please. This is perhaps one of the mellowest forums there is concerning motorcycles. Despite your frustration in how your question was answered, the great majority of our members are friendly and helpful, but even the best of us has bad days. This is also the place where you can find a great deal of info about your bike and help with diagnosing problems. I think you have a Hexhead. If that is true, then you have a fantastic tech library available in the Hexhead sub-forum. Hope to see you around.

Try to think of this as a conversation you would have with some fellow riders while sitting around a table drinking coffee, or sitting around a campfire having the beverage of your choice. You ask your question about brake fluid and one of your fellow riders (call him Charlie) asks about your reasons for the questions. Certainly Charlie's question is not an answer to your question, but how do you respond? One choice might be to respond in a friendly manner and answer Charlie's question; another choice might be to respond to Charlie in prickly sort of way that shows your anger because of the question being asked. Being friendly will likely lead to the discussion continuing and perhaps a more direct answer to your question. A prickly response will lead to.... well we know where that will lead.

Don't write us off as just a bunch of jerks, please. This is perhaps one of the mellowest forums there is concerning motorcycles. Despite your frustration in how your question was answered, the great majority of our members are friendly and helpful, but even the best of us has bad days. This is also the place where you can find a great deal of info about your bike and help with diagnosing problems. I think you have a Hexhead. If that is true, then you have a fantastic tech library available in the Hexhead sub-forum. Hope to see you around.

Yes getting the 2011 today. 9k miles. In great shape, first business to do all the fluids. Then a couple of recalls and then tires. Then ride.

As to your response. No one asked me why I wanted to do it. They said unless you are racing it is not needed. The higher the boiling point of the fluid the better, i don't care how you ride. It will slow the onset of brake fade. I have ran 5.1 in my previous Dot 3/4 bikes with no issues. But none of them were abs equipped. Was hoping someone might have already converted to 5.1 and had experience with it.

Yes getting the 2011 today. 9k miles. In great shape, first business to do all the fluids. Then a couple of recalls and then tires. Then ride.

As to your response. No one asked me why I wanted to do it. They said unless you are racing it is not needed. The higher the boiling point of the fluid the better, i don't care how you ride. It will slow the onset of brake fade. I have ran 5.1 in my previous Dot 3/4 bikes with no issues. But none of them were abs equipped. Was hoping someone might have already converted to 5.1 and had experience with it.

Au contraire. Look at the very first response, post #2 where I asked "but why?". I was sincerely asking why you wanted to use 5.1 when DOT 4 is in spec and usually sufficient.

And only peripherally related: some folks believe that premium fuel is better when regular is specified and some folks think that Xw140 weight gear oil is better when 80w90 is specified - neither of which is true. So I sincerely wondered why in your specific circumstance DOT5.1 was needed.

Last edited:
Did not ask for riding opinions asked if anyone knows if it is compatible.
I was not going to say anything. But the more I thought about this, the more this type of response is unwarranted. Evidently you have taken a personal offense to me offering an opinion, whether it was asked by you or not. It's only an opinion, I did not attack you in anyway. You could have easily ignored my opinion. But no, apparently you felt I deserve a slap in the face.

So at this time. you will never hear from me ever again.

My face is still stinging from the slap. I hope you are happy!

Glad this is such a welcoming forum. Seems to be like all the others, a bunch of jerks who post a lot, questions why someone asks a question that they don't agree with and then ridicule anyone that is new.

Whoa Whoa, slow down. Enough with the personal insults.
You are on the wrong site.
You should hang out in the Basement on Adv Riders.
If all you want is a direct answer with no discussion, Google is a great resource.

Last edited:
When a question gets asked on a forum many readers want not just the narrow answer but also to explore the topic. That is what foruae provide.

How much air pressure should I run in the rear Michelin PR3 on my R1100RS? That might elicit the comment that a person has had better mileage using a Metzeler tire (pick your model). And somebody else might add that Avon (pick your model) are on sale at (pick your vendor). Finally somebody might add the book says 36 psi but I like 40 psi better. That is what a forum does and is.

Some people cannot deal with the fact that just because one starts a thread does not mean one controls the thread.

Back