• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2005 F650GS won’t start

dcattafesta

Good morning. I have an 05 F650GS single with just over 41K that had been sitting for a month or so (on a battery tender) and won’t start. Hoping for some guidance or help with diagnosing the problem. Battery is strong. Bike turns over but simply won’t fire. Bike has fresh fuel, has a spark. So far, I have checked the fuel pump and it is pushing fuel to the line. If I spray a bit of carb cleaner into the throttle body via the air intake, the bike fires right up and runs perfectly fine. Took it for a quick test ride and no issues running or idling. Turn it off, try to start it again and same problem - turns over but won’t fire up. I pulled the injector and cleaned it. In doing so, I also tested it to see if it is spraying any fuel when I turn the key and kill switch to on but nothing. So, thinking that the injector may be the problem but then again, seems unlikely since the bike runs just fine once it starts (with a shot of carb cleaner to get it going). Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

A couple of threads on an '09 model on not starting in the Similar Threads pane below. Might be worth checking out.

I have never worked this problem but offer the following:

Normally with FI, the fuel pump runs anytime the engine is running.
It also runs a few seconds on key on to pressurize the system, but then shuts off for reasons unknown to me.

My guess is there is a relay that activates the fuel pump on key on, but then times out.
Maybe your bike has a bad relay?

Hopefully someone with more detailed knowledge can chime in.

My thoughts for dcattafesta bike is the injectors are plugged up. Use some injector cleaner to remove the varnish on the inside. Also check what OldCamper said too, perhaps a relay.
Let us know how it comes out.

The fuel pump can get stuck if the bike sits for an extended period without being started.
You should be able to hear a whirring sound when the key is first turned on.
If not, the pump MAY be stuck. I have replaced one of these.

If the fuel pump is stuck, BMW will sell you a new assembly for >$400.
Luckily, ebay sells the pump itself for $12
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Pump-...4bab8fc33962cb299a6f|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2334524

If you replace just the pump, be careful with the rubber isolators. They are available but somewhat expensive. You will have to find them on similar (not f650) assemblies. I think i found them on a K1200 fiche.

If I might - we now have two F650s with different symptoms. The discussion needs to differentiate between the OP - cranks but needs starter fluid to start and the second one which won't crank. Otherwise we will be totally nuts talking about two totally different problems.

Just as an update. Had attempted to clean the injector but still no luck so went ahead and replaced the injector and the fuel filter/pressure regulator and she fired right up. So, problem solved. Other than being a really tight space, was a relatively easy fix. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Just as an update. Had attempted to clean the injector but still no luck so went ahead and replaced the injector and the fuel filter/pressure regulator and she fired right up. So, problem solved. Other than being a really tight space, was a relatively easy fix. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Great!
Always nice to hear the end result :thumb
OM

F650GS, 2006 Won't Start

Here's the link to the main subforum:
https://forums.bmwmoa.org/forumdisplay.php?16-Thumpers-F-amp-G-bikes

Click the blue "Post New Thread" in the upper left and that will generate a new thread where you can post your question.

Thanks. The link you gave finally allowed me to see the "Post New Thread". Previous log ins did not show that choice. Don't understand why. I will delete any of my posts on this subject (if I can). Now I wonder if a request for a wiring diagram should be made in the forum or in the Fleamarket. I am ready to contact advertisers in the magazine. Local BMW dealers have been no help. That's why I went to the forum.

Haynes or Clymer May be best bet for a wiring diagram , saw one from Haynes that was a digital version as well

https://haynes.com/en-us/bmw/f650-f...W-5DcYqmeqExg7Nuf7W1fUb_mWEgQnKBoCdQ8QAvD_BwE

Thanks. I have both of those manuals for my R75, but neither one for my F650GS. I downloaded a manual for it some time ago and that is what I have been using. I will try your suggestion. I have 3 different wiring diagrams and they have been useful in the past since the problems were common to all of them. This one is not. The manual I have is from BMW AG Motorcycle Division. It shows a fuse block with 4 fuses. I have 8.

Back