• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Puig w/s or vstream ?

zigzag

Just wondering from personal experience pros or cons on the Puig touring or vstream w/s on a 1250 Gsa. I’m 6ft 34 in inseam and ride mostly on road. Stock shield works pretty well but get lots of wind and rain on my shoulders so looking for alternatives. Thanks for any positive thoughts.

I have zero complaints with my Vstream on my 2017 R1200GS. I would buy it again.

I have 45k on a Puig Touring screen on my GSA. My first Puig cracked when something very heavy hit it at 45 MPH. I do not think there is a screen out there that would have survived that impact. I replaced it with another Puig.

I have a Puig on my R1200RT. No buffetting or forward push, and I sit in a still bubble, while still looking over the top. It's not as good in the rain as the OEM, as water does not blow cleanly off my visor, but in every other aspect it's a significant improvement.

Puig windscreens are made of Acrylic - tradename "Lucite"
Acrylic is hard plastic with great optical clarity.
If scratched, Acrylic can be polished and the scratches removed.
Acrylic does not require the use of a "Hardcoat" to protect the plastic.
Acrylic tends to crack and/or shatter when struck hard enough to break it.

puig windscreen.png

VStream windscreens are made of Polycarbonate - tradename "Lexan"
Lexan is a soft but tough plastic.
Hard Coat is added to lexan to make it suitable for use as a windscreen.
Polycarbonate_Chart.jpg

No other thermoplastic comes close comes close to matching the impact strength of polycarbonate, making it the ideal material for motorcycle windshields. It's 10X more impact resistant than High Impact Acrylic and 20X more impact resistant than acrylic plastic (Lucite®).
polycarbonate-windshields

I used to sell and install Memphis Shades Acrylic windscreens. After watching a Puig windscreen on a GS1200 shatter on the Dempster Highway I will no longer use Acrylic on my motorcycle. If not VStream I don't know, I run the stock Lexan GS Adv screen shimmed a bit more vertical on my bike, works for me.

I have a Puig screen on one of my bikes and the quality is beyond reproach. As its not on a GS I can't attest to effectiveness on your bike.

I have a Puig screen on one of my bikes and the quality is beyond reproach. As its not on a GS I can't attest to effectiveness on your bike.

No argument that the Puig is a quality piece, the issue is what it is made of, and how that material reacts to impact.

Did you watch the video?

Wow! Great video, thanks!

I too have been impressed with Puig quality, clarity, and stability, but had no idea the thinner, more flexible V-Stream was actually tougher and better able to withstand impact and even a shotgun blast.

The video reminded me of “Electra-Glide in Blue”. Maybe the film would have ended differently if the bike had a Lexan windshield?

Just wanted to thank everyone for the input and the video. Have ordered the touring vstream shield and the additional support, looking forward to getting it and trying it out! Safe riding everyone.👍

Back