• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wiring Harness covering

drsockmonkee

Hi,

I have an 02 bike, new to me, and I see the wiring harness outter black sheathing is missing in many areas.

20210305_065309.jpg

20210304_190810.jpg

Is there anything I can do other than wrapping in the corrugated black plastic , with the slit on the side?

I am not a fan of the wretched black electric tape, as it always looks bad.

Andy

Most of the oilhead bikes do that eventually. I just recently re-wrapped the harness my recently acquired 2001 R1100RT with friction tape (sticks to itself when wrapped, but doesn't ooze adhesive like electrical tape).

The carnage:

tape.jpg

Any After?

Most of the oilhead bikes do that eventually. I just recently re-wrapped the harness my recently acquired 2001 R1100RT with friction tape (sticks to itself when wrapped, but doesn't ooze adhesive like electrical tape).

The carnage:

View attachment 82598

Thanks.. I read that there was a vegetable based outer coating that was used on some of the OilHeads. Do you have any after pictures?

ordered some friction tape.... gonna try to clean things up

Andy

There are lots of options for wiring covers. I have some stuff with strips of velcro that works nicely. Do a google search and you will find plenty that you can install yourself.

Thanks.. I read that there was a vegetable based outer coating that was used on some of the OilHeads. Do you have any after pictures?

ordered some friction tape.... gonna try to clean things up

Andy

No 'after' pics- I was in a hurry to finish the job :).

I just removed as much of the disintegrated covering as possible and used the friction tape to snugly wrap the harness. No big deal, other than the initial mess and some of my time.

I used Techflex to wrap exposed wiring on both of my oilheads. Not waterproof, but neither is cracked sheathing.

Available from many sources in several diameters.

https://www.techflex.com/general-purpose/f6-woven-wrap
I use that on all of my oil heads. I also use it anytime I'm doing wiring on a vehicle. It really makes everything look nice. if I'm working on something vintage they make a style of that that has little red and amber flakes in it. Hard to describe but it looks like old cloth wiring cover. Good stuff

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Rewrapping the wiring harness on `1996 R1100R

No 'after' pics- I was in a hurry to finish the job :).

I just removed as much of the disintegrated covering as possible and used the friction tape to snugly wrap the harness. No big deal, other than the initial mess and some of my time.

Thanks for all the good posts on this topic.

I am rewrapping the wiring harness on my R1100R. I cannot see how I can wrap the part of the harness that goes across the top of the engine and under the alternator Would someone pleased tell me how you get to that part of the harness for rewrapping. Do you remove the alternator, EMU and ABS system or is there a workaround?

Also so far I don't see how to access the part of the wiring that is out of sight and that goes to the rear lighting system. Most of that is visible but part of it appears to go under the seat locking mechanism.

I would appreciate tips on getting the job done. Thanks much!

No help with the area in question. As for tape, I'm pretty partial to cloth wire loom tape manufactured by Tesa, gives things a more OEM look IMOP.

Back