• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Replacement Battery Info for R1200RT WetHead/R1250RT ShiftHead

Boxflyer

There are lots of forum threads that contain individual users' experience with what battery they use to replace the OEM battery on the 2014-2018 R1200RT WetHead series of BMW.
This info is also probably applicable to the 2019-on R1250RTW as well, since the only real change with the ShiftHead was the engine. It's just not updated on the YUASA site but shows the same battery is used for all WetHead and ShiftHead RTW from 2014-2020 on RealOEM.com Part #61218531121. https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=0J63-USA-11-2019-K52-BMW-R_1250_RT_19_0J61,_0J63_&diagId=61_3636https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sh...2-BMW-R_1250_RT_19_0J61,_0J63_&diagId=61_3636
https://parts.maxbmw.com/a/BMW_2020_R1250RT/_51513_7455044/Battery-AGM/61_5416.html $176

Since YUASA appears to make some of the BMW labeled OEM batteries, going to their website provides a couple of answers to help out when trying to find a suitable replacement battery.

There are few option choices if you stay within the original spec of lead-acid battery. I'm not going to get into replacement Li-Ion or other alternative chemical composition batteries since that's going outside the OEM Spec for batteries.

To gain some background on the development of batteries since 1859, this site has plenty of info on the SLA (sealed lead-acid) batteries we use.
https://www.canbat.com/agm-vs-gel-batteries-which-one-is-better/

For the WetHead series of bike, we are limited in the type/size of battery that will fit into the location provided, specifically 6 x 3 7/16 x 6 3/8 inches, or 150x87x161mm (LxWxH).
Post/terminal position and polarity are also considerations. Knowing these 2 factors allows you to narrow your search very easily. (Using a slightly smaller battery in any dimension is not used in my search for a "proper" replacement)

Using this link to the YUASA Application Guide helps establish that there are just 2 batteries that are listed as, AGM or High Performance AGM.
http://www.yuasabatteries.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/2020_Application_Guide_File.pdf

The 2 batteries that are listed for the 2014-2018 BMW R1200RT are YTX16-BS AGM and YTX20CH-BS High Performance AGM.
If you follow the link above to the YUASA site and then search with the FIND Command, Command+F (Mac) or Ctrl+F (Windows) and fill in the SEARCH field with YTX20CH-BS it will step thru all occurrences of this battery on the entire website.
It's apparent that the difference between a "16" and a "20" series is capacity/power generated within the same size case.

To summarize what's there if the link to the YUASA site changes, these 2 batteries listed have the correct external dimension/size to fit our bike, but these differences in performance.
Yuasa%20battery%20-M.jpg

I have listed this as the replacement battery I'm using since the fall of 2019 when my OEM battery failed on my 2016R1200RTW at 52k…now 70k+.
Rechargeable YTX20CH-BS Chrome Pro High Performance Power Sports Battery
https://www.amazon.com/Chrome-Pro-YTX20CH-BS-Performance-Battery/dp/B078XGZK81/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=20ch-bs&qid=1594662783&sr=8-3
Still working, as well as or better than, the OEM and at less than $55 delivered has been a good value for me.

Hope this helps WHEN…NOT IF…you need to replace your battery.

E6343165-F700-452E-BDD4-5F3793479902-M.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, it is, as listed in the link you provided, and I'm sure it will work just fine.

For me if the size of the case is the same, I'd go for the larger capacity/power of a 20 vs 16 as listed in the High Performance AGM column.

Curious, the yuasabatteries.com site also lists the GYZ16H as an appropriate replacement for the OEM ...

Not quite as tall... might be easier to slide in and out. Is there a trick to removing the taller battery?

The "taller" battery is 6 3/8 inches that is the OEM spec.
The alternate battery GYZ16H is only 5 3/4 inches tall and it might come with an adaptor to properly hold it in the bike

Here's a Height Adaptor that came with one of my temporary replacement batteries that I was forced to install from a WalMart while on a trip in 2019.

8B9FD8EA-4AEC-4844-8209-44AE33BF0B35_1_105_c-M.jpg

99AAFB09-A363-4650-ABDE-33ADB756FADF_1_105_c-M.jpg

E47FB4D7-128D-46B6-9F07-CAED43C5C655_1_105_c-M.jpg

Looks Like A Battery Thread

Seems like a new thread has launched into the battery-replacement area. I replaced my original battery in 2019, following four years of use. I made the decision only on time...not on faults.

I don't recall the process, but decided that this one (https://www.batteriesplus.com/product-details/powersports/battery/duracell-ultra/cyl10012) would work fine. It has for the past two years. It fit perfectly. FWIW, when I'm not riding my RT around MA or on a cross-country trip, it's on an Optimate-4.

Seems like a new thread has launched into the battery-replacement area. I replaced my original battery in 2019, following four years of use. I made the decision only on time...not on faults.

Hi John…yes I started a battery thread…(sorry, and I'll never start an oil or tire thread!)
What I'm trying to bring out is the details about the largest size battery that will fit with the highest capacity and power available for our WetHeads.

The battery you listed is smaller in each dimension, so yes it fits with room on all sides. 5.87x3.38x5.75 inches.
Also the battery you reference is a Format 14 and the ones I am trying to help folks get are Format 16 and Format 20.
The power/capacity for a Format 14 size is about 12AH/220 CCA, and for the Format 16 it's 14AH/230 CCA, and for the Format 20 it's 18AH/270 CCA.

I hope you don't think I'm saying the battery you have is not working well for you…it is…and you are using an awesome charger/tender to help extend it's life.

The point again of this thread is to help other folks that are thinking about replacing their battery to compare similar specs for the $$$ spent.
If you can source a battery with the Format 20 capacity/power, in theory it should help with cranking if it's cold, hot, or if the cam timing is off slightly or if the compression release is sticky and making more work for the starter motor.

Seriously, I'm not flaming you, I am glad you found a battery that works and I hope by using it as an example I could again point out the small details that could help with a buying decision for someone else.

Thanks again Boxflyer. You helped convince me the Format 20 was indeed the right size on the LT forum yesterday, and this morning I ordered the Yuasa 20 version as opposed to the cheaper one you are currently using, only because a number of reviews for it were rather negative concerning life. Just saying, that was my deciding reason. Your technical writeup here was excellent, and exactly what I needed for confirmation. Having just read that now, it makes me feel good to know it should fit just fine.

Thanks for your extensive post on batteries for the RT and please accept my apologies for my sarcastic comment about a "battery thread." In my case, my choice of what I now know is a Format 14 battery could have been better informed 22 months ago when I made the purchase. Also, at $113 back in 2019, it was not cheap. Clearly, I didn't get the right information back then. I'm hoping the Optimate-4 keeps my RT starting with single push of the starter!

Thank you BoxFlyer!!

Your dedication to helping your fellow MOA members learn about and maintain their RT's is much appreciated! I traded my 18 GSA for a 15RT in November -- mainly because the riding position was just not right for me on the GSA (and I never take a bike off road on purpose!). You have helped me discover the bike, and identified things I needed to address. Yesterday I looked at the battery and it is the original unit manufactured in 2014. I just ordered the YUASA YTX-20 because I took to heart the comment of "when, not if the battery fails!" I have also purchased a headlight guard and printed out the bolt pattern sheets you provided. Foam board is purchased and I will be making those great boards soon. THANK YOU!!

There are lots of forum threads that contain individual users' experience with what battery they use to replace the OEM battery on the 2014-2018 R1200RT WetHead series of BMW.
This info is also probably applicable to the 2019-on R1250RTW as well, since the only real change with the ShiftHead was the engine. It's just not updated on the YUASA site but shows the same battery is used for all WetHead and ShiftHead RTW from 2014-2020 on RealOEM.com Part #61218531121. https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=0J63-USA-11-2019-K52-BMW-R_1250_RT_19_0J61,_0J63_&diagId=61_3636https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sh...2-BMW-R_1250_RT_19_0J61,_0J63_&diagId=61_3636
https://parts.maxbmw.com/a/BMW_2020_R1250RT/_51513_7455044/Battery-AGM/61_5416.html $176

Since YUASA appears to make some of the BMW labeled OEM batteries, going to their website provides a couple of answers to help out when trying to find a suitable replacement battery.

There are few option choices if you stay within the original spec of lead-acid battery. I'm not going to get into replacement Li-Ion or other alternative chemical composition batteries since that's going outside the OEM Spec for batteries.

To gain some background on the development of batteries since 1859, this site has plenty of info on the SLA (sealed lead-acid) batteries we use.
https://www.canbat.com/agm-vs-gel-batteries-which-one-is-better/

Dims should be

For the WetHead series of bike, we are limited in the type/size of battery that will fit into the location provided, specifically 6 x 3 7/8 x 6 3/8 inches, or 150x87x161mm (LxWxH).
Post/terminal position and polarity are also considerations. Knowing these 2 factors allows you to narrow your search very easily. (Using a slightly smaller battery in any dimension is not used in my search for a "proper" replacement)

Using this link to the YUASA Application Guide helps establish that there are just 2 batteries that are listed as, AGM or High Performance AGM.
http://www.yuasabatteries.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/2020_Application_Guide_File.pdf

The 2 batteries that are listed for the 2014-2018 BMW R1200RT are YTX16-BS AGM and YTX20CH-BS High Performance AGM.
If you follow the link above to the YUASA site and then search with the FIND Command, Command+F (Mac) or Ctrl+F (Windows) and fill in the SEARCH field with YTX20CH-BS it will step thru all occurrences of this battery on the entire website.
It's apparent that the difference between a "16" and a "20" series is capacity/power generated within the same size case.

To summarize what's there if the link to the YUASA site changes, these 2 batteries listed have the correct external dimension/size to fit our bike, but these differences in performance.
Yuasa%20battery%20-M.jpg

I have listed this as the replacement battery I'm using since the fall of 2019 when my OEM battery failed on my 2016R1200RTW at 52k…now 70k+.
Rechargeable YTX20CH-BS Chrome Pro High Performance Power Sports Battery
https://www.amazon.com/Chrome-Pro-YTX20CH-BS-Performance-Battery/dp/B078XGZK81/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=20ch-bs&qid=1594662783&sr=8-3
Still working, as well as or better than, the OEM and at less than $55 delivered has been a good value for me.

Hope this helps WHEN…NOT IF…you need to replace your battery.

E6343165-F700-452E-BDD4-5F3793479902-M.jpg

dims should be 6 x 3 7/16 x 6 3/8 Not 6 x 3 7/8 x 6 3/8
Thanks for all the great research:)

dims should be 6 x 3 7/16 x 6 3/8 Not 6 x 3 7/8 x 6 3/8
Thanks for all the great research:)

Excellent catch!

I FAT FINGERED that number for sure.

The original post has been edited to reflect what you have pointed out as the correct dimension.

Thanks for helping out.

Thanks for this info and everything else you post regarding the RT. I’ve just ordered a new battery after playing roulette (for probably too long) with my old one.

A few years ago on one of the battery threads then an observation was made that disturbs me: the higher "capacity" batteries in general are more FRAGILE than the standard batteries of the same physical dimensions. This is allegedly due to the thinner internal plates and supports inside the high capacity batteries.

A few years ago on one of the battery threads then an observation was made that disturbs me: the higher "capacity" batteries in general are more FRAGILE than the standard batteries of the same physical dimensions. This is allegedly due to the thinner internal plates and supports inside the high capacity batteries.

That is absolutely true. They are packing more, thinner plates into small cases to increase battery amperage at the expense of durability. The typical VRLA (valve regulated lead acid) sealed battery failure today is not chemical depletion: it is a mechanical failure due to a fractured inter-cell or inter-plate connector.

Battery replacement

2017 RT here.

Just changed the battery. Tight fit but I think I got it in. Now the big question: how on earth do you put the plastic trap door back on? I am lost…

Once the battery is almost all the way slid into the space for it to stay, as the bottom of the end is about 1/4 inch still hanging out into free space, put the RH end cap plate under the battery and lift the battery up with the end cap...then push is all in so the little bump on the bottom of the end cap drops into the hole in the center bottom of the battery tray, and the 2 side pins align and drop into the holes in the side of the battery box.

I made a video of just this process, but can't find it right now...sorry!

2017 RT here.

Just changed the battery. Tight fit but I think I got it in. Now the big question: how on earth do you put the plastic trap door back on? I am lost…

Here's a video.

<iframe width="1194" height="672" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TjQLTDUkJUM" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks Lee for the battery fitting video. Just a small thing but nice to see how it goes without having to work it out yourself on the side of the road in the rain :)

John

Back