• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Howdy from Texas.

Greenjeans

Hello all, new member from Denton, Texas. We don’t all ride horses down here.
Just picked up an R75/6 from a neighbor who recently passed. I’d been working on him to sell it to me for over a decade. He never would. It sat outside, under a carport against his house for at least 10-12 years. Never saw it move. Every now and then, if I saw him on his porch, I’d go chat him up. He was a Harley guy - said he got the bike in trade for working at his friends bar in Sturgis one year. Anyway, he must have mentioned me to his family. We made a deal for the bike.
Took the carbs off, got some kits and cleaned/rebuilt them. Cleaned the inside of the tank (looks pristine now). Put a new air filter, and battery in. It fired immediately. Couldn’t believe it. It is as quiet and smooth as any bike I’ve ever had. Now that I know it’s a runner, I’ll order some new tires etc. On to the brake system now. Believe it or not, they weren’t locked up. I have a rebuild kit for the caliper & master as well as a new front hose.
Looks like a pretty clean ol girl once I got 12 years+ of dust and dirt off it. I think the tins have had a paint job at some point. Frame etc looks to be unmolested and original - I think. No idea of true mileage - gauges show 2000k but you know how that goes.

Attachments

• 7CFBB9E0-86B1-4C7D-8153-35F12D16F230.jpeg
    7CFBB9E0-86B1-4C7D-8153-35F12D16F230.jpeg
    183.6 KB · Views: 66
  • BE1FA4F8-BBA2-4DB4-9103-5B36B7996798.jpeg
    BE1FA4F8-BBA2-4DB4-9103-5B36B7996798.jpeg
    220.3 KB · Views: 65
Welcome, Mr. Green Jeans!! Glad the bike found a good home. You say the mileage is 2000K...what does that mean? One might be able to look at the foot peg rubbers and gage how old the bike might be. If they're pristine, then think low number of miles...if they're chewed beyond recognition, then lots of miles.

I never really believe low-mile 50 year old bikes. The brake pedal looks really nice, but the rubber parts are a little hard after sitting outside for the last decade. IMO, about 15 years ago someone probably cleaned it up real nice and had the tins painted. Motor is dry - no leaks. I'll see more once I have the wheels off for new rubber and brakes. You can usually tell a little more by the grease that's in there and the pads. I will say that there are no tool marks on the rims.
If this gentleman had just rolled this thing inside a decade ago... He was a bachelor and lived in a decent sized house. There was a door to a tiled floor only feet from the bike. Luckily, he stored the seat inside.

Anybody have photos of how the seat is supposed to be set up ? The hinges on the seat were missing.

Welcome from the coast of Kansas, Greenjeans. That is a great looking machine and a great story as well. Hope it runs as good as it looks.

Good luck.

Wilkommin Green Jeans!

Good job on persevering regarding an unloved Beemer. :thumb My recommendation would be get to know the folks at Bench Mark Works, 89 Earles Fork Road, Sturgis, MS (662) 465-6444. "Vech" is The Airhead restoration expert - IMHO! Craig Vechorik and his wife have a veritable museum over there (I'm told). Now that we live in Huntsville, we might stop by on one of our 2021 Coddiwomple eXcursions. email: vech@benchmarkworks.com

Señor Vech after rolling his WWII restoration into the Lebanon, TN Exhibit Hall (12/06/19).
Vech-2019-MOA.jpeg

Ciao!
HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen

'14 K-GT -- '09 650GS-twin
'75 R90S -- '82 R100CS

Back