Thread: Utah to rally route options

TravelsWithBarley.com

Utah to rally route options

If you found yourself in Utah, say at the Red Rock Rendezvous in Panguich, and wanted to take a scenic route north to the MOA Rally in Great Falls with a timeline of just four days, which of these options would hold the most appeal to someone who prefers scenery over crowds...and travels with a dog?

Option A: Up to the Sawtooth Range, then hook around to the west end of Lolo Pass and over
    Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 6.02.19 PM.png

Option B: up to the Sawtooth Range, then follow the Salmon River to Missoula and on to Great Falls
    Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 6.05.17 PM.png

Leaving the rally we'd have all the time in the world so would meander through the Bighorns, Black Hills, Cache de Poudre, Million Dollar Highway, etc.

Pete
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet

http://travelswithbarley.com/

Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"
    If you've never traveled the Lolo Pass Route (Option A)... that's your ticket!

Longer and more seat time, but the payback for the extra 200mi over 3.5 or 4 days is terrific.
    "travel'n" John... on a 2015 R1200GS / MOA# 102452
    "Keep a steady eye ahead, a firm grip on the throttle, be ready with brakes... every mile of the road, there are two miles of the ditch"
    (words of wisdom credited to fellow MOA rider Bill T.)

Option A would be my choice, just be aware that in a sidecar rig you’re in for a workout on Hwy 12 along the Lochsa River. Very much worth it, tho!

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    Option A would be my choice, just be aware that in a sidecar rig you’re in for a workout on Hwy 12 along the Lochsa River. Very much worth it, tho!

Best,
    DeVern
    I rode it east to west in 2013 with Barley on the way to Salem, but it was chip seal construction nearly all the way. We spent a lot of time playing in the river that day! The Salmon River route would be a totally new route for us, and I know squat about it so figured I’d ask.

And you’re right. I was very glad that day that three years of sidecar travel had bulked up my shoulders!

Pete and Glenlivet
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet

http://travelswithbarley.com/

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    I rode it east to west in 2013 with Barley on the way to Salem, but it was chip seal construction nearly all the way. We spent a lot of time playing in the river that day! The Salmon River route would be a totally new route for us, and I know squat about it so figured I’d ask.

And you’re right. I was very glad that day that three years of sidecar travel had bulked up my shoulders!

Pete and Glenlivet
    The Salmon River route is a great ride also; Chief Joseph Pass will give you a short workout but there are many places along the river to stop and play. Highway 200 is a nice ride as well, with some interesting stops along the way. Note that the RRR rally in Panguitch is still under discussion and not a sure occurrence yet, so keep an eye on the website.

Best,
    DeVern
    Last edited by GTRider; 03-27-2021 at 04:03 AM.
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Idaho Rider

If you have never ridden either route, I would ride option "B", totally amazing roads and some of the best scenery in Idaho. You will go over a couple of passes with lots of switch back and great views. You will also have less traffic and road construction to deal with. Highway 55 is having some major road work done north of Boise that will go on through the summer. I have ridden both route a number of time and will be doing it again for this rally, neither will disappoint. See you at the Rally!