• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Riding from Northern ( LP) Michigan to Great Falls Rally

pnloud1

I am working on a plan to travel to the National Rally in June. Considering options....ride all the way...not likely, trailer to Great Falls with plans to ride Glacier NP after the Rally. Wondering if anyone from my area is considering the same or does anyone have any suggestions. I am not excited about the long ride , so leaning more towards trailering to GF and back.

Thanks

Looks like ~1500 road miles from the northern part of the the lower peninsula to Great Falls. Then another 150 miles to Glacier NP. if you went through South Dakota, there are lots of good things to see there for sure...Devil's Tower, Mt. Rushmore, etc.

First of all, welcome aboard! I see it's your first post.

Curious what you ride and why you would trailer all the way. Not being judgmental as there are several solid reasons for trailering: physical issues, not enough vacation time, etc. Hell, if the cicada hatch happens across the Midwest when I get ready I might trailer till I'm clear of the mess! John mentioned a couple of excellent places to enjoy along the way. I'd second the Black Hills and add Badlands, Spearfish Canyon, Needles Highway, Ten Sleep Canyon (Hwy 16), Shell Canyon (Hwy 14), the drop down to Lovell (Hwy ALT 14), Chief Joseph Highway, and Beartooth Pass. All but Badlands are better experienced on two wheels.

Have you thought about trailering to the Rapid City SD area and riding from there? Folks get so excited about Glacier and Beartooth that they overlook the magnificence of the Bighorn Range.

Pete

How much time do you have? If you have the time, ride out, take your time, relax.

If you have limited time I can understand trailering it. If you are not accustomed to riding that far it can be tough on the body.

If I had the time I would ride and spend more time out west.

I understand why I am being asked why not ride out. So, factors are...I'm 66 and I have done a few longer rides but not quite this far. My bike is the F650GS so not exactly a highway bike, and I would prefer secondary state roads anyway. I am retired so I have the time, but one option is to have one of my sons and/or my wife along...caravaning in the support vehicle. Ha. PLus if they come then having a car to take over if they weather deteriorates or if Going to The Sun is under sketchy weather would offer an option. I am reaching out to some folks in my area to see if anyone is planning the trip. It would be better if I had a small group or at least one other person to ride along with.

Is there a local BMW club in your area? If so, that's a great way to make new friends and find those whose riding style meshes with your own so you can build up your daily milage. That 650 is a nice bike, and while thumpers aren't the most common long distance ride, once the ergos are properly set up they are an absolute blast in the mountain roads.

However you get there, have fun and make plenty of new friends!

Pete

The Going to the Sun road is not always open in June. You'll want to check the National Parks site for opening information. Some years the road isn't open until July. It just depends on how much snow they get.

The Going to the Sun road is not always open in June. You'll want to check the National Parks site for opening information. Some years the road isn't open until July. It just depends on how much snow they get.

As of now I believe that the Blackfoot Nation has closed roads through their lands going to the eastern entrances to Glacier National Park. I believe AKBeemer previously commented on this. He might know if the closures remain in effect.

I understand why I am being asked why not ride out. So, factors are...I'm 66 and I have done a few longer rides but not quite this far. My bike is the F650GS so not exactly a highway bike, and I would prefer secondary state roads anyway. I am retired so I have the time, but one option is to have one of my sons and/or my wife along...caravaning in the support vehicle. Ha. PLus if they come then having a car to take over if they weather deteriorates or if Going to The Sun is under sketchy weather would offer an option. I am reaching out to some folks in my area to see if anyone is planning the trip. It would be better if I had a small group or at least one other person to ride along with.

You should choose to ride or trailer based on what you really want to do. The F650 will take you anywhere. My G650 took me from the Northern part of Michigan's lower peninsula to Prudoe Bay to Key West and back home in twenty one days. I had thousands of BMW riders with me, just a phone call away in my BMW Anonymous Book. I have found that trip interruptions are a great way to meet new interesting BMW riders. If you choose to ride and not camp on the way you can ship your camping gear to the rally site, use it while you are there, then ship it back. Highway 2 west from the Mackinac Bridge is interesting and not too fast and not too slow. I think it goes to Spokane? Grand Forks, ND is a good stop for the first day if you don't spend too much time at Aerostich shopping on the way. I am planning on going to the Rally but am starting to have a schedule problem. I will be riding a 310GS if I go. Same one I am trying to ride to Daytona Beach starting Sunday.

It would be helpful if you told us where you are and at least a first name.

I wish I was 66 again.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

You should choose to ride or trailer based on what you really want to do. The F650 will take you anywhere. My G650 took me from the Northern part of Michigan's lower peninsula to Prudoe Bay to Key West and back home in twenty one days. I had thousands of BMW riders with me, just a phone call away in my BMW Anonymous Book. I have found that trip interruptions are a great way to meet new interesting BMW riders. If you choose to ride and not camp on the way you can ship your camping gear to the rally site, use it while you are there, then ship it back. Highway 2 west from the Mackinac Bridge is interesting and not too fast and not too slow. I think it goes to Spokane? Grand Forks, ND is a good stop for the first day if you don't spend too much time at Aerostich shopping on the way. I am planning on going to the Rally but am starting to have a schedule problem. I will be riding a 310GS if I go. Same one I am trying to ride to Daytona Beach starting Sunday.

It would be helpful if you told us where you are and at least a first name.

I wish I was 66 again.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

Thank you Wayne for that post. I returned to riding in 2009 after 40+ years of Navy, family, kids, & work. I discovered a need (once I'd gotten reacquainted with the basics) to get on a motorcycle and ride to CA from MA. I spent every night in hotels/motels. I did that in 2012 after a couple of shorter (4K miles) trips into the South. I'm a friendly guy, but knew that I liked riding alone and liked stopping/starting etc. whenever I wanted to do so. Looking backward, I think my life in law enforcement taught me that ultimately, I had to rely on myself and my instincts. Teams in LE are centrally important, but I view riding a motorcycle as not a team activity.

Anyway, pnloud1, please give us all some more details if you're able. There's a wealth of information for you here.

(PS to Wayne - I'm not sure I'd want to go back to 66 again. I can't remember if that was the year I had the hip replaced or something else. Time passes but the road beckons every day.)

Last edited:
Riding out from Michigan

Hi John.
Rob here from West Michigan. Currently, a group of us will be riding and towing out. Some riding, some caravaning with a trailer. I recommend route 2 out. It is a nice ride. As to the GTTSR, I have ridden it many times. My recommendation is to take one of the big red cabs through the park. The ride, without traffic, would be great, however the road is quite busy most of the time. Contact me if you have any questions.
Rob

The gent that started this thread has not been back since the day after his original post. Another one hit wonder!

I wouldn't expect him to return!

I never understood why guys post, then disappear!

I will be leaving from the Midland area on the 20th, riding the K. Taking 3 days because I have the time and Aerostitch really wants me to visit.

I will be leaving from the Midland area on the 20th, riding the K. Taking 3 days because I have the time and Aerostitch really wants me to visit.

Great FIRST post!
I'll say those K-bikes must be fast and riders hardy... because 1,575 miles IS 3 days for most anyone.
Get into Great Falls on Wednesday, at latest if able... the Rally seems to fly-by!

I am working on a plan to travel to the National Rally in June. Considering options....ride all the way...not likely, trailer to Great Falls with plans to ride Glacier NP after the Rally. Wondering if anyone from my area is considering the same or does anyone have any suggestions. I am not excited about the long ride , so leaning more towards trailering to GF and back.

Thanks

If you are thinking of trailering part way to the rally and then finishing with a ride, my home is located within 500 miles of the rally. You are welcome to park here and ride west. Or south to the Black Hills (250 miles) and take that in and finish up in Great Falls. You could make a nice little loop that way.

Just offering you an option. :beer

If you are thinking of trailering part way to the rally and then finishing with a ride, my home is located within 500 miles of the rally. You are welcome to park here and ride west. Or south to the Black Hills (250 miles) and take that in and finish up in Great Falls. You could make a nice little loop that way.

Just offering you an option. :beer

Hey Rich - great to meet you out that way last summer. My wife and I will be through there ahead of the rally, in our RV. I may camp where we met, but there’s is another good spot near the south end.

Hope we can connect, if not there then at the rally.

Ian

Of course you have to stop at Aerostich

I usually like to take the northern route, hitting RiderWarehouse, and route 2.

Hey Rich - great to meet you out that way last summer. My wife and I will be through there ahead of the rally, in our RV. I may camp where we met, but there’s is another good spot near the south end.

Hope we can connect, if not there then at the rally.

Ian

That would be swell, you should have my cell number from a previous PM I sent you so keep me in the loop. I know the weekend prior we are attending a Bluegrass Festival in one of our state parks so it will be a busy week. But don't hesitate to connect up, we can see if something works.

Back