Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tools

I have a collection of many tools Craftsman and Kobolt, WG Grants, a couple of Snap-On, a set of S-K 1/2 inch sockets and, heaven help me, Harbor Freight. I can recall two times that a hand tool has failed; Craftsman socket and a Kobalt 1/4 inch ratchet. I've never felt that the quality of my tools was limiting me in any way. There are plenty of other limitations, but not the tools.
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Starter crank refurbishing tool? Rumble seat emergency opening lever?
    Not quite that far back, but if you need to adjust the bands in an early 60s Chrysler transmission, I've got the tool for that. Or perhaps you need to set the ignition points with a dwell meter; got that and the wrenches for most domestic brands of distributor clamp bolts to set the timing afterwards. Or maybe the clutch head screwdriver for a Holley carburetor.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2019 F850GSA

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Dodge 318 distributor clamp nut wrench.....yup- got one
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I have that gadget for balancing airhead carbs, nope I haven't tried using it yet.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Brake tools

Anybody need a collection of drum brake adjust tools? Or how about a set of brake line flaring tools? To be honest, just about every standard inch tool I have is almost useless to me, as just about everything I work on now is Metric.

Any tool that does the job without further damage is the right tool for the job.

Some people as I was told in another post take pride they can have their bikes worked on. I take pride I can work on my bikes, and like the sign on my tool box says, "I own the best, don't ask to borrow".

I learned from working experience cheap tools cost more. I am jaded because at the time, I wasn't working on one or two cars a year or even a month but a whole lot more.

Perhaps now I might not need the Snap On tools, I don't know, I know I have them and they have never let me down. When it comes time to get rid of them, I will be lucky like a lot of guys I know to get a fraction of what they cost new.

I know the buggers who stole my dad's tools did, The collection and quality of the tools he had from many of the name brands back then were head and shoulders above the replacements he got from the same companies after trying to buy replacements. Caught between the money paid out by insurance as well as the decline in quality of some of the brand names and the high cost of similar quality tools to what he lost, he ended up with nothing much to keep working.

What each person has in their tool box is their business, I am NOT going to throw rocks at someone because they have Snap ON, or Harbor Freight. St.

One of the best tool buys I have made is the electric impact driver. I purchased a DeWalt 1/2" driver and a 1/4" driver, both 20V. The 1/2" driver will undo lug nuts and bolts my 20 year old Craftsman driver never would, even at full power. The 1/4" driver is super handy, more so than I ever thought.
    John.
    Atwater, CA
    2015 R1200RT

I look at contents of combined tool chests in shop, one I filled with Metric, the other all SAE from my dad, from my purchases and finds, some passed to me by friends including oddball specialty items. Then...the tool rolls on several bikes, another in the RV and another in truck. ďHi Iím Steve and I have a tool problemĒ
    All have been used at some point, if not by me, for someone in need.

I have a few items that came in dadís collection I need to post a pic of to glean the knowledge here of what the heck is this? Iíll take pics next time I head out there.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and past prez SABMWRA

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Quote Originally Posted by jstrube View Post
    One of the best tool buys I have made is the electric impact driver. I purchased a DeWalt 1/2" driver and a 1/4" driver, both 20V. The 1/2" driver will undo lug nuts and bolts my 20 year old Craftsman driver never would, even at full power. The 1/4" driver is super handy, more so than I ever thought.
    No way should I be trusted with that weapon, er tool.
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador

I dunno about favorite tools, but I'm still pissed about the crappy steel rod that came with my Suzuki 500's toolkit. It was the handle for the spark plug socket and it bent like cheese one cold and snowy day in 1972 on route 91 in Vermont. A spark plug had developed a lead whisker and turned the bike into a 250 single. Fortunately the lead whisker dislodged on its own since I was a long ways from anywhere and under dressed for the weather. The next week I swiped a piece of drill rod from the factory I worked at. I may still have it.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    I look at contents of combined tool chests in shop, one I filled with Metric, the other all SAE from my dad, from my purchases and finds, some passed to me by friends including oddball specialty items. Then...the tool rolls on several bikes, another in the RV and another in truck. ďHi Iím Steve and I have a tool problemĒ
    All have been used at some point, if not by me, for someone in need.

I have a few items that came in dadís collection I need to post a pic of to glean the knowledge here of what the heck is this? Iíll take pics next time I head out there.
    Perhaps your dad did what I have given thought to doing. I have just one child; a daughter, and she is not interested in my collection of tools. My son-in-law, a fine man, is. At the moment, however, it is my seven year old grandson who is most often caught with one of my tools in his hands. I given thought to making items that resemble tools and interspersing them in my tool chests. Could befuddle them both for years.
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Perhaps your dad did what I have given thought to doing. I have just one child; a daughter, and she is not interested in my collection of tools. My son-in-law, a fine man, is. At the moment, however, it is my seven year old grandson who is most often caught with one of my tools in his hands. I given thought to making items that resemble tools and interspersing them in my tool chests. Could befuddle them both for years.
    Friends of mine have taken duplicate tools from their drawers and put together smaller "sets" for their kids and grandkids. Gets them started on the right foot and keeps their small hands busy with something of their own. Its seemed to have worked well in a number of cases.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Friends of mine have taken duplicate tools from their drawers and put together smaller "sets" for their kids and grandkids. Gets them started on the right foot and keeps their small hands busy with something of their own. Its seemed to have worked well in a number of cases.
    Good idea. I made some training boards for grandson Jack. A board with screws, lag bolts and other fasteners in it. He must decide which tool to use to remove the fasteners and then reinstall them. I shall build him his own tool set and that will require a second set for granddaughter Izzy. She is of a mind that anything Jack can do she can do too.
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador

I was recently watching a friend swap out his summer tires and he had his 10 year old daughter running the cordless impact doing it with him. She wasn't totally interested but I give him credit for getting her involved. the kind of learning will do her well in years to come.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

BMW tool kit

I got to admit, for a "factory" tool kit, my airheads were fairly good for trying to combine a set of tools into a pouch to be stored on the bike. I know with my R75/7, I used them more than a few times to adjust points in a parking lot on a trip. With the change to the R80RT and electronic ignition, that has never come up, but, the tools in the RT were the same quality as the 75. I have no clue what if anything the new bikes are being sold with.

I never owned a different brand of bike but I did own two Yamaha snowmobiles a 72 and 73, along with a 70 Ski doo. Oh, my the tools that come with them were a joke. I like the quote in this post about cheese. Thank the Lord I never had to use them.

Over the years, I had been given an assortment of those combination plier screwdriver, multi tool I think maybe Gerber started. I found the pliers part of the tool useless, the knife blades very good, as well as the screwdrivers and the wire cutter was good. To be honest, I could not McGyver my way out of a mess with one but I had one on my belt for six years as a facilities engineer.

I carry a Swiss knife now, and the biggest tool used is the scissors I use to trim my finger nails along with the tooth pick. LOL, sorry the knife blades get used a fair bit and well as the cork screw, I have never found a use for the gut hook.

Going back to the opening of this topic, I do admire the homemade do all tools. The idea and the talent to make them is awesome. I mean the idea to have one tool in the box beats the heck out of a bunch of tools rattling around. Problem is, loose the one tool and they are all gone. St.

RK Ryder
    I doubt that my tools are of the high quality that many of you might have, but I frequently I am asked if tools may be borrowed. For this reason I have a sign out/in sheet for family and neighbours. If I should not be home, without prompting, neighbours tell my wife that they will sign out whichever item(s) they are borrowing.

This works well for keeping tracking of tools loaned to neighbours; not so well for my three sons who seem to conveniently forget to register what they are borrowing when I'm not around.
    Last edited by Paul_F; 03-04-2021 at 11:47 PM. Reason: typo
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Knights of the Roundel #333