Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: RT vs GSA Price?

funny

It is funny the airhead RT and RS bikes I have are equipped with very good fairings and when it comes time to make any repairs, I don't have to remove a bunch of stylized useless panels to get to something. Of course, I have no radio, GPS, tire pressure monitor and so on, so I don't need an extra plastic panel to hold switches or dials or things.

A simple motorcycle 37 years later still doing exactly what I want it to do and being ridden briskly. I won't be around in 37 years to see if any of the current RT bikes or even the GS bikes will still be around. I would love to hear what a Wet head has to say about things when comparing his ride of choice to the electric bike guys or hydrogen heads, LOL.

Will there be a Wetheads keep it less simple club?

I have had my fun, winding people up, enjoy what ever bike you ride, life is short. St.

Quote Originally Posted by STEVENRANKIN View Post
    I have had my fun, winding people up, enjoy what ever bike you ride, life is short. St.
    Honestly, I come on this forum every 3-4 months or so thinking "maybe" things will be different. What is the definition of insanity again? Why does even the most benign question have to take on a nasty tone? Or have people find "fun" in "winding people up."

I love the miles of plastic. I also have no desire to spend hours working on my bike. I worked my "butt" off the last 30 years of my life so I could pay someone to do that. I also love the rugged freedom my GSA gives me, and the fact I don't have to sweat every time I drop the bike in the sand. I love the bells and whistles you get on the newer bikes: ABS, ABS Pro, Rain Mode, Enduro Mode, Traction Control, etc. I love the TFT display on my GSA, and all the information that is available to me. I love the WonderWheel. And I would never be without my GPS. And having had my TPM go off twice last year for punctures (once as I was accelerating to 80 mph), I'm very thankful for those as well.

Technology comes with a price though. And I have all the respect in the world for those of you mechanically inclined enough to care for your rides! And there is something "pure" about riding an airhead.

But that's me. I sincerely doubt the bikes I have (2017 RT and 2019 GSA) will be in service 20 years from now, let alone 10. I have 54k on my RT and 20 something on my GSA. I typically put 20-30k/year on a motorcycle. And every fall I have to get reacquainted with driving a car again. There are lots of different rides. Because there are lots of different riders. But we all share a common passion.

I agree with 2 sentiments in the last post. Life is short! And enjoy whatever bike you have! Those are words to live by!

apologies

I apologize to those of you on the forum who have taken time to write about their opinions on this topic. The bully and nasty person in me got out of hand agin.

I could try to justify my mean behavior but cannot, We all love the bikes we have, may we get the gift to ride them as long and as much as we want. St.

I apologize to those of you on the forum who have taken time to write about their opinions on this topic. The bully and nasty person in me got out of hand agin.

I could try to justify my mean behavior but cannot, We all love the bikes we have, may we get the gift to ride them as long and as much as we want. St.
    The damage is already done. I have gone through all of my coloring books and have been locked in my safe space, crying, for days.

Now, I have apologized and I am wondering why?

I don't see anyplace where I was being nasty, other than joking about winding people up. Or my crack about Wetheads keeping it less simple? Sorry fellows, the airhead club has the keep it simple slogan and no Wethead bike will ever be simple.

Oh yes, I complain about miles of useless plastic, and I keep referring to the older bikes having less as well as my feelings about the new RT bikes versus my airhead RT.

I also make some comments about preferring to work on my own bikes and being peeved at the fact I cannot do the same with the modern bikes.

I have in the past made it clear I don't like the path BMW took in eliminating the dealerships in my area, as well as my lack of enthusiasm for the newest line of their product.

Yes, I do admit I don't like some of the new technology, as well as the price BMW charges for it as well as the ridiculous costs to maintain it.

These are all my opinions, take them or leave them.
    I have never insulted or ridiculed any member on any forum so, I have nothing to apologize for there.

I have gotten nasty and this time I am not going to apologize, I don't know why I did the first time? St.
    Last edited by STEVENRANKIN; 03-03-2021 at 11:36 AM.

I have never insulted or ridiculed any member on any forum so, I have nothing to apologize for there.

I have gotten nasty and this time I am not going to apologize, I don't know why I did the first time? St.
    I gave up riding Airheads as my main ride when I decided I wanted a motorcycle with real brakes.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

JohnWC
    Yes, I do admit I don't like some of the new technology, as well as the price BMW charges for it as well as the ridiculous costs to maintain it.

These are all my opinions, take them or leave them.

Personally, I didn't see any need for you to apologize either. For what it's worth, I couldn't agree more about your feelings on all the hot technology BMW is constantly trying to one up itself with on the new bikes. If people feel they need to have that much high tech stuff, maybe a car is a better choice. They're now really loaded with all that. Of course, they're a little pricey to repair. But who worries about that.

Paul is right about airhead brakes, they were pretty sub-par. Of course they were also real reliable, ( see Consumer Reports). And they didn't have ABS, ABS Pro, Rain Mode, Enduro Mode, Traction Control, TFT, TPS, etc, etc. The shocks didn't cost $2000 each to replace, and you didn't have to take the whole rear half of the bike apart to change the clutch disc. Yeah, those brakes were bad, though.

Quote Originally Posted by jconway607 View Post
    Paul is right about airhead brakes, they were pretty sub-par. Of course they were also real reliable, ( see Consumer Reports). And they didn't have ABS, ABS Pro, Rain Mode, Enduro Mode, Traction Control, TFT, TPS, etc, etc. The shocks didn't cost $2000 each to replace, and you didn't have to take the whole rear half of the bike apart to change the clutch disc. Yeah, those brakes were bad, though.
    Actually I have long maintained that the single front disk /6 brakes were BMW's original anti-lock brakes.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I gave up riding Airheads as my main ride when I decided I wanted a motorcycle with r

I can admit there have been many positive changes made in motorcycles I like. Paul hits the nail on one of the things I can admit to liking about the modern bikes, BETTER brakes.

Shoot, I can see the difference in the change from drum to the ATE discs to the Brembos just in the air heads I owned. Sorry, I can't say much more about feeling or my know experience with anything newer than an 86 K100RS of a friend I rode a few times.

Nope, I started getting on nerves when I mentioned the fairings and plastic.

The point I was trying to make is I like the GS bike, as I said, they haul a lot of stuff, they can be fixed up with 1000 cubic foot panniers, and go a lot of places, plus from what I hear from the owners they handle very well on the road.

I like the concept of an RT bike, with the weather protection one thing the GS really doesn't have or at least from my vantage point doesn't have, only a GS owner can tell me about weather coverage. I don't own one to know myself. However, I am sorry, I just can't see the point BMW made with all the plastic, except for styling. I have seen modern RT bikes panniers or saddle bags and they really don't hold a whole lot compared to what can be put on the GS. They are pretty. I might add, I am NOT a fan of tail trunks of any kind or any kind of storage behind the pillion rider up high. Luggage should be in MY mind carried low near the center of gravity, high enough not to snag on the ground, not high up behind the rear axle. This is my feeling not only for an RT bike with the dinky stylish side bags but a GS with metal tea chest size bags. I am going off on another track, so I will get back.

The airhead RT and RS fairings provide very good weather protection, and I imagine as I have been told the modern RT and RS fairing do as well. I can't argue that, again I have no experience with the modern bikes. I just can't see the point BMW made by filling in the gaps with plastic? Oh, I can see changing the gas tank to a lower position for handling and making a cover for it. I can see making an ugly plastic gas tank and covering it up. I made the comment in another post asking if BMW just covers things in plastic because the parts are so ugly?

So, instead of building Baggers and the R18, how about a combo GS/RT? Something that will carry the luggage a GS can be set up to do, with the weather protection of an RT and without all the I am sorry to say useless plastic? Oh, I know, the styling department is too busy on other projects, I am going to be rude and say, copying Harley. Yes, I have read the arguments and the gush of wonder for the R18 and the K bagger, I don't care for either, never will.

I won't buy a new BMW for three reasons; the first, I kind of covered here in this post and others, second, I am still peeved at BMW's dealership system and the boutique experience over practical dealership. (oh yes, there is no dealer within 200 miles of me that to this policy). Third, the price tag, Sorry, BMW is a good bike, but not worth the extra money for the BMW name.

So, topics other than the GS versus RT price, I have run off the track on to another set. The GS sells for more because it is more popular and is in demand. I am waiting for the painter to finish the parts of my second time rebuilt R80RT. The road salt is still not washed off the roads for me to ride my R100RS. BMW only makes money from me by selling parts, LOL, I see nothing in the future to change my mind. St.

Nick Kennedy
    I ride a /7 with those single disc brakes.

You've got to follow the 7 P rule on those things to survive.

Prior
    Proper
    Planning
    Prevents
    Piss
    Poor
    Performance

Dragging your feet only adds so much and is hard on the soles.
    Nick
    1978 R80/7

R75/7

Yep, I remember riding my R75/7 with its single disc ATE brake. Most of the time, I had no problems. Where I live, I am cursed with traffic and with the curse of traffic, is the need sometime to stop faster than planned. I have never hit anyone in either a car or a bike but have come close, never been my fault from tailgating or such, usual left turn in front of me or someone pulling out in front of me. The extra margin of just adding a second ATE brake in the front as on my 78 R100RS, was great. Going from the ATE to Brembo calipers was terrific. Beyond Terrific? Well, I guess one day I may have to take a demo ride on a post 86 bike. Maybe if BMW built a GS with RT weather coverage and less plastic? St.

Unless you will be riding dirt/gravel roads, get the RT. Better wind protection and comes with panniers from the factory.
    My Motorrad Blog
    My Motorrad YouTube
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Yep, I remember riding my R75/7 with its single disc ATE brake. Most of the time, I had no problems. Where I live, I am cursed with traffic and with the curse of traffic, is the need sometime to stop faster than planned. I have never hit anyone in either a car or a bike but have come close, never been my fault from tailgating or such, usual left turn in front of me or someone pulling out in front of me. The extra margin of just adding a second ATE brake in the front as on my 78 R100RS, was great. Going from the ATE to Brembo calipers was terrific. Beyond Terrific? Well, I guess one day I may have to take a demo ride on a post 86 bike. Maybe if BMW built a GS with RT weather coverage and less plastic? St.
    The 2008 RT I just bought is just plain a safer, faster, more comfortable bike than anything you ride. They have fixed the plastic removal and tank removal over the original 1100. It's a breeze now. You can't see the bike when you are riding it and frankly I think it's overly angular looking and the instrumentation sucks. But the ride will drop your socks if you haven't experienced a modern RT. Fast, smooth, and stops on a dime.

I think a well maintained used RT is an amazing bang for the buck. I have an F650 for dirt roads.
    Signature

Quote Originally Posted by chrisinsc View Post
    The 2008 RT I just bought is just plain a safer, faster, more comfortable bike than anything you ride. They have fixed the plastic removal and tank removal over the original 1100. It's a breeze now. You can't see the bike when you are riding it and frankly I think it's overly angular looking and the instrumentation sucks. But the ride will drop your socks if you haven't experienced a modern RT. Fast, smooth, and stops on a dime.

I think a well maintained used RT is an amazing bang for the buck. I have an F650 for dirt roads.
    Yeah, the brakes are very good on the newer stuff. You don't know until your try it.
    My Motorrad Blog
    My Motorrad YouTube
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Quote Originally Posted by ponch1 View Post
    Yeah, the brakes are very good on the newer stuff. You don't know until your try it.
    No kidding. Threshold braking practice with these bikes is not for the faint of heart.

I always fear the ABS wont work when I finally engage the brakes hard enough to engage it. Surprisingly violent when you attempt to go from 60mph to full braking as fast as you can.
    Signature