• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

RT vs GSA Price?

protrainerusa

I am looking to add a second bike to the stable. I currently have a 2013 F800GS which I am setting up for more off road/adv riding. I am looking for a bike to commute to work (45 highway minutes each way), longer road trips (4+ hours) and two-up riding. I was researching 2014/15 RT's and found many preferring the 1200GSA for my intended uses. I know that topic has been exhausted, but my question is, why the large disparity in price between the two? It seems for the same year and milage, the GSA is consistently $3k-$5k more. what am I missing?

For all the reasons one might conjure, the GS line is more popular. Therefore resulting in more desirability which equates to higher demand and price.

Last edited:
I don't think you're missing anything; I believe it's simply more demand for the GS. When new the GS outsells the RT by several times. I'm guessing there's a correspondingly similar higher demand in the used market that drives up the GS price there.

Price aside, the choice between the GS and RT for your usage is entirely up to you. A high percentage of time on the highway is, to me, right in the RT's sweet spot, but then I'm a very satisfied RT owner. There are obviously scads of delighted GS owners racking up lots of highway and longer trip miles.

Good luck whatever you decide!

For what it’s worth I have both. Love my GSA but my wife won’t ride on it [emoji39]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info.
I wanted to be sure there were no major issues with the RT as I know little about them compared to the research I did when buying my current GS. I was shocked yesterday, when I was given a price on a one owner, 2015 RT with all dealer service records($5k less than a similar GS). I was told that at 58k miles, RT buyers drop out of the market due it being considered, "high mileage". No one would even think twice about buying a GS with 58k, so I retreated to the forum to get more info.

my view

I don't know who told you an RT with 58K miles is high mileage compared to a GS, that is a moot point, they both have the same engine and drive train to some extent.

The popularity of the GS is most likely due to the fact it can be configured to carry a lot more "stuff" than the pretty RT. Also, it has not got miles of expensive Bite My Wallet plastic to worry about compared to the GS.

The price difference is of course due to the popularity BMW charges because the can for the GS, and buyers are willing to pay it.

I keep waiting for BMW to build a bike with RT weather protection, minus the miles of useless plastic that can carry the same load as a GS. Instead, BMW spends its time and money on baggers, and the R18. So, I just keep riding my two old airheads. St.

I keep waiting for BMW to build a bike with RT weather protection, minus the miles of useless plastic that can carry the same load as a GS. Instead, BMW spends its time and money on baggers, and the R18. So, I just keep riding my two old airheads. St.

BMW has built a few good load carrier bikes with good weather protection and not completely shrouded in tupperware since they quit building Airheads in 1995. You didn't bite and I suspect you never will. Simple by intent.

Um, it's not useless plastic. It's why the weather protection is so good. You cannot have RT level weather protection without an RT-like fairing.

However, with the R1250GSA you get more weather protection than any airhead GS. Unless you put a useless fairing on the airhead.

I look but don't bite

Yep Paul, I look but don't bite as the bait is not enticing.

The miles of plastic is honestly one of the biggest turn offs I have with the RT bikes that and the ludicrous saddle bags following style over function.

I like the GS bikes because of the ability to carry things as well as they are not as delicate. Sort of like my R80RT. Oh yeah, I cry when I tip it over and scuff things but it is easy to repair at low cost compared to Bite My Wallet plastic used on the new bikes.

Since I don't own a GS, I shouldn't be declaring how great they are but, I do see the sales figures, someone loves them. l don't have a modern RT either, but I have seen them up close and don't give them a second glance.

I don't even know why I am writing about this, I have been happy with my two old airheads, and as I have just spent a bit of money this winter to rebuild the R80RT to ride for the rest of my riding time, I won't be buying a newer BMW anytime soon. Why replace something that works and works well for me? St.

One comment in addition to what you've already received.

You haven't posted where you live and where you will doing your commuting. If there is the chance of commuting in inclement weather, the RT has far better weather/temperature protection than the GS. For me, that would be a consideration for daily commuting.

Good luck with your decision.

I don't even know why I am writing about this, I have been happy with my two old airheads, and as I have just spent a bit of money this winter to rebuild the R80RT to ride for the rest of my riding time, I won't be buying a newer BMW anytime soon. Why replace something that works and works well for me? St.

Probably an excellent idea. I don't know who is buying the new BMWs. Too overpriced and over-complicated for my taste.

I can remember when most everyone drove a car. It seemed to work fine. Now people have to have either a 4 wheel drive SUV, or better yet, a huge truck with four doors and an open trunk. 4 wheel drive, of course. Who could live without it? The horror.

GS/ Adventure bikes are the current rage, hence the inflated price. I'll admit all the plastic on an RT is a disadvantage, in maintenance and possible crash repair costs. But look at the sheer size of the new GS bikes. Why not just buy a Gold Wing and put knobby tires on it. And where are you really going to use it? I live in Ohio, rural in many parts. I don't know any farmer who will let me tear around there property on my GS. Not many state or national parks either. I'm starting to believe that if you live West of the Mississippi and have endless dirt roads, like I see constantly in the MOA news, maybe get a GS. But East, it's almost all pavement. Buy a pavement bike.

Since we typically are second owners and rarely buy new, prices never an issue.
We have Airheads, Hex/Camheads, old and newer K bikes, a F thumper, and a couple of
Orange Roadster thumpers. All ride differently yet are fun in their own ways.

Some folks love sedans, some coupes, and some like me are truck/Jeep folks. Haven’t had four wheel drive since retiring and turning in company truck. My 2003 truck isn’t a show model... it’s a workhorse.

Had a RT which was sporty and sleek but didn’t bond with its sedan feel so I swapped with a fellow a HD I had but wasn’t riding for a one year old 05 GS and found my match. My GSA has almost the “ protection” the RT had and rarely feel exposed even in driving rain... still got wet on RT... I have ridden roads both sides of the Big Muddy on the GS that I wouldn’t intentionally taken my RT on, but have. I even took a K12S on a CO shortcut my bro in law thought was paved all the way... wasn’t a shortcut either. I cussed him in my helmet for about an hour sliding gravel mountain surfaces then but makes a great story now.

Ride what makes you enjoy the ride and maybe not judge others choices.

One comment in addition to what you've already received.

You haven't posted where you live and where you will doing your commuting. If there is the chance of commuting in inclement weather, the RT has far better weather/temperature protection than the GS. For me, that would be a consideration for daily commuting.

Good luck with your decision.

I live in New Hampshire so weather is an issue. I have been commuting with my 800GS; however, at highway speed on a cold and windy New England morning, it is less than pleasant, although still more enjoyable than driving my truck.
I will also be traveling to upstate NY, Vermont, Maine and Canada when it is open. My wife is not happy on the back of the 800GS but should be quite happy on the back of the RT and maybe a 1200GS.
I do love the 1250GSA but I am not looking to spend $25k on a second bike. Full disclosure, my wife will not allow me to spend $25k on a second bike.

I don't know who told you an RT with 58K miles is high mileage compared to a GS, that is a moot point, they both have the same engine and drive train to some extent.

The popularity of the GS is most likely due to the fact it can be configured to carry a lot more "stuff" than the pretty RT. Also, it has not got miles of expensive Bite My Wallet plastic to worry about compared to the GS.

The price difference is of course due to the popularity BMW charges because the can for the GS, and buyers are willing to pay it.

I thought the engines were similar, which is why I was confused. I think the "high mileage" thing may have more to do with the age and type of buyer that leans toward the RT over the GS.

funny

It is funny the airhead RT and RS bikes I have are equipped with very good fairings and when it comes time to make any repairs, I don't have to remove a bunch of stylized useless panels to get to something. Of course, I have no radio, GPS, tire pressure monitor and so on, so I don't need an extra plastic panel to hold switches or dials or things.

A simple motorcycle 37 years later still doing exactly what I want it to do and being ridden briskly. I won't be around in 37 years to see if any of the current RT bikes or even the GS bikes will still be around. I would love to hear what a Wet head has to say about things when comparing his ride of choice to the electric bike guys or hydrogen heads, LOL.

Will there be a Wetheads keep it less simple club?

I have had my fun, winding people up, enjoy what ever bike you ride, life is short. St.

I have had my fun, winding people up, enjoy what ever bike you ride, life is short. St.

Honestly, I come on this forum every 3-4 months or so thinking "maybe" things will be different. What is the definition of insanity again? Why does even the most benign question have to take on a nasty tone? Or have people find "fun" in "winding people up."

I love the miles of plastic. I also have no desire to spend hours working on my bike. I worked my "butt" off the last 30 years of my life so I could pay someone to do that. I also love the rugged freedom my GSA gives me, and the fact I don't have to sweat every time I drop the bike in the sand. I love the bells and whistles you get on the newer bikes: ABS, ABS Pro, Rain Mode, Enduro Mode, Traction Control, etc. I love the TFT display on my GSA, and all the information that is available to me. I love the WonderWheel. And I would never be without my GPS. And having had my TPM go off twice last year for punctures (once as I was accelerating to 80 mph), I'm very thankful for those as well.

Technology comes with a price though. And I have all the respect in the world for those of you mechanically inclined enough to care for your rides! And there is something "pure" about riding an airhead.

But that's me. I sincerely doubt the bikes I have (2017 RT and 2019 GSA) will be in service 20 years from now, let alone 10. I have 54k on my RT and 20 something on my GSA. I typically put 20-30k/year on a motorcycle. And every fall I have to get reacquainted with driving a car again. There are lots of different rides. Because there are lots of different riders. But we all share a common passion.

I agree with 2 sentiments in the last post. Life is short! And enjoy whatever bike you have! Those are words to live by!

apologies

I apologize to those of you on the forum who have taken time to write about their opinions on this topic. The bully and nasty person in me got out of hand agin.

I could try to justify my mean behavior but cannot, We all love the bikes we have, may we get the gift to ride them as long and as much as we want. St.

I apologize to those of you on the forum who have taken time to write about their opinions on this topic. The bully and nasty person in me got out of hand agin.

I could try to justify my mean behavior but cannot, We all love the bikes we have, may we get the gift to ride them as long and as much as we want. St.

The damage is already done. I have gone through all of my coloring books and have been locked in my safe space, crying, for days.

Now, I have apologized and I am wondering why?

I don't see anyplace where I was being nasty, other than joking about winding people up. Or my crack about Wetheads keeping it less simple? Sorry fellows, the airhead club has the keep it simple slogan and no Wethead bike will ever be simple.

Oh yes, I complain about miles of useless plastic, and I keep referring to the older bikes having less as well as my feelings about the new RT bikes versus my airhead RT.

I also make some comments about preferring to work on my own bikes and being peeved at the fact I cannot do the same with the modern bikes.

I have in the past made it clear I don't like the path BMW took in eliminating the dealerships in my area, as well as my lack of enthusiasm for the newest line of their product.

Yes, I do admit I don't like some of the new technology, as well as the price BMW charges for it as well as the ridiculous costs to maintain it.

These are all my opinions, take them or leave them.
I have never insulted or ridiculed any member on any forum so, I have nothing to apologize for there.

I have gotten nasty and this time I am not going to apologize, I don't know why I did the first time? St.

Last edited:
Back