• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

RT vs GSA Price?

I have never insulted or ridiculed any member on any forum so, I have nothing to apologize for there.

I have gotten nasty and this time I am not going to apologize, I don't know why I did the first time? St.

I gave up riding Airheads as my main ride when I decided I wanted a motorcycle with real brakes.

Yes, I do admit I don't like some of the new technology, as well as the price BMW charges for it as well as the ridiculous costs to maintain it.

These are all my opinions, take them or leave them.
I have never insulted or ridiculed any member on any forum so, I have nothing to apologize for there.

I have gotten nasty and this time I am not going to apologize, I don't know why I did the first time? St.

Personally, I didn't see any need for you to apologize either. For what it's worth, I couldn't agree more about your feelings on all the hot technology BMW is constantly trying to one up itself with on the new bikes. If people feel they need to have that much high tech stuff, maybe a car is a better choice. They're now really loaded with all that. Of course, they're a little pricey to repair. But who worries about that.

Paul is right about airhead brakes, they were pretty sub-par. Of course they were also real reliable, ( see Consumer Reports). And they didn't have ABS, ABS Pro, Rain Mode, Enduro Mode, Traction Control, TFT, TPS, etc, etc. The shocks didn't cost $2000 each to replace, and you didn't have to take the whole rear half of the bike apart to change the clutch disc. Yeah, those brakes were bad, though.

Paul is right about airhead brakes, they were pretty sub-par. Of course they were also real reliable, ( see Consumer Reports). And they didn't have ABS, ABS Pro, Rain Mode, Enduro Mode, Traction Control, TFT, TPS, etc, etc. The shocks didn't cost $2000 each to replace, and you didn't have to take the whole rear half of the bike apart to change the clutch disc. Yeah, those brakes were bad, though.

Actually I have long maintained that the single front disk /6 brakes were BMW's original anti-lock brakes. :)

I gave up riding Airheads as my main ride when I decided I wanted a motorcycle with r

I can admit there have been many positive changes made in motorcycles I like. Paul hits the nail on one of the things I can admit to liking about the modern bikes, BETTER brakes.

Shoot, I can see the difference in the change from drum to the ATE discs to the Brembos just in the air heads I owned. Sorry, I can't say much more about feeling or my know experience with anything newer than an 86 K100RS of a friend I rode a few times.

Nope, I started getting on nerves when I mentioned the fairings and plastic.

The point I was trying to make is I like the GS bike, as I said, they haul a lot of stuff, they can be fixed up with 1000 cubic foot panniers, and go a lot of places, plus from what I hear from the owners they handle very well on the road.

I like the concept of an RT bike, with the weather protection one thing the GS really doesn't have or at least from my vantage point doesn't have, only a GS owner can tell me about weather coverage. I don't own one to know myself. However, I am sorry, I just can't see the point BMW made with all the plastic, except for styling. I have seen modern RT bikes panniers or saddle bags and they really don't hold a whole lot compared to what can be put on the GS. They are pretty. I might add, I am NOT a fan of tail trunks of any kind or any kind of storage behind the pillion rider up high. Luggage should be in MY mind carried low near the center of gravity, high enough not to snag on the ground, not high up behind the rear axle. This is my feeling not only for an RT bike with the dinky stylish side bags but a GS with metal tea chest size bags. I am going off on another track, so I will get back.

The airhead RT and RS fairings provide very good weather protection, and I imagine as I have been told the modern RT and RS fairing do as well. I can't argue that, again I have no experience with the modern bikes. I just can't see the point BMW made by filling in the gaps with plastic? Oh, I can see changing the gas tank to a lower position for handling and making a cover for it. I can see making an ugly plastic gas tank and covering it up. I made the comment in another post asking if BMW just covers things in plastic because the parts are so ugly?

So, instead of building Baggers and the R18, how about a combo GS/RT? Something that will carry the luggage a GS can be set up to do, with the weather protection of an RT and without all the I am sorry to say useless plastic? Oh, I know, the styling department is too busy on other projects, I am going to be rude and say, copying Harley. Yes, I have read the arguments and the gush of wonder for the R18 and the K bagger, I don't care for either, never will.

I won't buy a new BMW for three reasons; the first, I kind of covered here in this post and others, second, I am still peeved at BMW's dealership system and the boutique experience over practical dealership. (oh yes, there is no dealer within 200 miles of me that to this policy). Third, the price tag, Sorry, BMW is a good bike, but not worth the extra money for the BMW name.

So, topics other than the GS versus RT price, I have run off the track on to another set. The GS sells for more because it is more popular and is in demand. I am waiting for the painter to finish the parts of my second time rebuilt R80RT. The road salt is still not washed off the roads for me to ride my R100RS. BMW only makes money from me by selling parts, LOL, I see nothing in the future to change my mind. St.

I ride a /7 with those single disc brakes.

You've got to follow the 7 P rule on those things to survive.

Prior
Proper
Planning
Prevents
Piss
Poor
Performance

Dragging your feet only adds so much and is hard on the soles.;)
Nick
1978 R80/7

R75/7

Yep, I remember riding my R75/7 with its single disc ATE brake. Most of the time, I had no problems. Where I live, I am cursed with traffic and with the curse of traffic, is the need sometime to stop faster than planned. I have never hit anyone in either a car or a bike but have come close, never been my fault from tailgating or such, usual left turn in front of me or someone pulling out in front of me. The extra margin of just adding a second ATE brake in the front as on my 78 R100RS, was great. Going from the ATE to Brembo calipers was terrific. Beyond Terrific? Well, I guess one day I may have to take a demo ride on a post 86 bike. Maybe if BMW built a GS with RT weather coverage and less plastic? St.

Unless you will be riding dirt/gravel roads, get the RT. Better wind protection and comes with panniers from the factory.

Yep, I remember riding my R75/7 with its single disc ATE brake. Most of the time, I had no problems. Where I live, I am cursed with traffic and with the curse of traffic, is the need sometime to stop faster than planned. I have never hit anyone in either a car or a bike but have come close, never been my fault from tailgating or such, usual left turn in front of me or someone pulling out in front of me. The extra margin of just adding a second ATE brake in the front as on my 78 R100RS, was great. Going from the ATE to Brembo calipers was terrific. Beyond Terrific? Well, I guess one day I may have to take a demo ride on a post 86 bike. Maybe if BMW built a GS with RT weather coverage and less plastic? St.

The 2008 RT I just bought is just plain a safer, faster, more comfortable bike than anything you ride. They have fixed the plastic removal and tank removal over the original 1100. It's a breeze now. You can't see the bike when you are riding it and frankly I think it's overly angular looking and the instrumentation sucks. But the ride will drop your socks if you haven't experienced a modern RT. Fast, smooth, and stops on a dime.

I think a well maintained used RT is an amazing bang for the buck. I have an F650 for dirt roads.

The 2008 RT I just bought is just plain a safer, faster, more comfortable bike than anything you ride. They have fixed the plastic removal and tank removal over the original 1100. It's a breeze now. You can't see the bike when you are riding it and frankly I think it's overly angular looking and the instrumentation sucks. But the ride will drop your socks if you haven't experienced a modern RT. Fast, smooth, and stops on a dime.

I think a well maintained used RT is an amazing bang for the buck. I have an F650 for dirt roads.

Yeah, the brakes are very good on the newer stuff. You don't know until your try it.

Yeah, the brakes are very good on the newer stuff. You don't know until your try it.

No kidding. Threshold braking practice with these bikes is not for the faint of heart.

I always fear the ABS wont work when I finally engage the brakes hard enough to engage it. Surprisingly violent when you attempt to go from 60mph to full braking as fast as you can.

You guys are correct.
Modern brakes with ABS is great stuff.
In a "situation" you can just clamp on full brakes, all the way.
That part is now out of the equation. No more " feathering " the brakes. Full Brakes. Hard as you can.
Then you can concentrate on swerving to miss your obstacle.
I practice this several times a year as it is violent and you've got to grip the tank with your legs with all your might so you can still use your arms to turn toward the clear.
It's hard to not get thrown forward at full brakes, takes some practice so you know what to expect, and then to still be able to use your arms in the full brace mode.
Ride safe in 2021
Nick

You guys are correct.
Modern brakes with ABS is great stuff.
In a "situation" you can just clamp on full brakes, all the way.
That part is now out of the equation. No more " feathering " the brakes. Full Brakes. Hard as you can.
Then you can concentrate on swerving to miss your obstacle.
I practice this several times a year as it is violent and you've got to grip the tank with your legs with all your might so you can still use your arms to turn toward the clear.
It's hard to not get thrown forward at full brakes, takes some practice so you know what to expect, and then to still be able to use your arms in the full brace mode.
Ride safe in 2021
Nick

+1

Back