• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

MOTOMETER Clock question

cobaltc4s

Is there a Motometer clock expert out here somewhere? I'd like to replace a white face Motometer clock in a handlebar pod from a /6 with a later model green faced version from an RS or RT. Does anyone know if the green faced unit will fit into a /6 handlebar pod? Is this a simple swap or will I need to start drilling and cutting to make it work?

Clocks

The early white face Motometer clocks were electric, using a rotating flywheel to advance the hands. (hard to find working ones and very expensive)

The green face clocks are quartz movement, so swapping just the face might be an issue.

It would be far cheaper to just swap the whole clock mechanism for the green face, quartz movement.

Pod

I am not familiar with the way the clocks were mounted in the auxiliary pods available at one time but on the RT, there is a bracket and two plastic nuts clamping to the plastic dash board holding things in place. Depending upon the flexibility of a person's hands, they can be a bear to remove from the RT/RS dash or no problem at all.

I would imagine the "pod" uses some kind of nut system to make use of the two mounting bolts on the back of the clocks.

The white face clock, was on my 74 R90S, The green face ones are on my R80RT and R100RS. All of them had the same mounting system. The white face ones are like hen's teeth, working green ones are also getting rare and pricy.

Good luck with what ever you choose to do. St.

I am not familiar with the way the clocks were mounted in the auxiliary pods available at one time but on the RT, there is a bracket and two plastic nuts clamping to the plastic dash board holding things in place. Depending upon the flexibility of a person's hands, they can be a bear to remove from the RT/RS dash or no problem at all.

I would imagine the "pod" uses some kind of nut system to make use of the two mounting bolts on the back of the clocks.

The white face clock, was on my 74 R90S, The green face ones are on my R80RT and R100RS. All of them had the same mounting system. The white face ones are like hen's teeth, working green ones are also getting rare and pricy.

Good luck with what ever you choose to do. St.

On other models, you could order a clock or voltmeter and it looked something like this.

Attachments

• Motometer clock and voltmeter, accesories.1981-3.jpg
    Motometer clock and voltmeter, accesories.1981-3.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 77
pods

Yes, I have seen the pod mounted Volt meter and clocks BMW made available for an option. From what I can see in the for sale sections and such, they are getting hard to find and expensive. BMW made them NLA a while ago. So far, no one like Siebenrock has brought them back to market. To be honest, I don't know if there would be a market for them?

While I have seen them on bikes with not only the clock and voltmeter in them, I have seen oil pressure and oil temperature gauges mounted into them as well. Not just Motometer gauges but VDO and Sun. So there must be a simple method of mounting then into the pod, and as I have said, BMW wouldn't have spent money to design a unit for the RT and RS and S bikes and a unit for the pod bikes.

So changing a white face clock for a green face one should be easy, but may not be cheap as they are NLA from BMW and are now in the free market for sale and price. Ebay lists them for sale in widely variable prices and of course, with Ebay, it is buyer beware. Oh that holds true for any seller of used parts.

If you want to repair the white face clock, or change the face, that is more difficult as mentioned, there are two types of mechanism to deal with. There was a couple of years ago a link on the net about a fellow who had taken a green face clock apart and had repaired it. He gave very good instructions as well as pictures on the procedure. To be honest, with my fat fingers, I would not attempt it. St.

Back