• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Getting back on the road

Ragman2

My 2018 1200RT has been in storage for 5 months. Not because of winter but because I am living in our vacation home in another state while our new home is being built. My question is:

Do I just hop on and ride away after checking tire pressure or is there other stuff I should check. Has 3/4 tank of fuel and fresh oil went out away.

My 2018 1200RT has been in storage for 5 months. Not because of winter but because I am living in our vacation home in another state while our new home is being built. My question is:

Do I just hop on and ride away after checking tire pressure or is there other stuff I should check. Has 3/4 tank of fuel and fresh oil went out away.

I would check the air in the tires; check the oil level; top off the fuel tank with fresh fuel; add a dose of Isoheet in the red bottle; and ride it until it is thoroughly warmed up.

I would check the air in the tires; check the oil level; top off the fuel tank with fresh fuel; add a dose of Isoheet in the red bottle; and ride it until it is thoroughly warmed up.

Thanks!!! I have never heard of Isoheet.

Thanks!!! I have never heard of Isoheet.

The company makes two gas anti-freeze/dryer/water absorber products: Heet in the yellow bottle and Isoheet in the red bottle. The Heet is methanol (methyl alcohol ) and the Isoheet is isopropyl alcohol. The isopropyl alcohol is capable of absorbing considerably more water - maybe 10 times as much if I recall correctly.

Added: Since a bottle of Isoheet absorbs water better, and a bottle is designed for a car fuel tank, usually 1/4 to 1/2 bottle is plenty for a motorcycle fuel tank, even if the tank is full.

Last edited:
If it has been sitting without a trickle charger or you didn't disconnected the battery, you may also want to hook up a Battery Tender (or equivalent) to check the charge and top off the battery as necessary. The clock and other electrical draws can really drain a battery.
+1 on Paul's suggestions.

If you have the means, I personally would suck the gas out and pour it into one of your autos, and then fill the bike with fresh premium. But that's me. I overkill most things I do. :laugh

Unless you removed your carbon canister your fuel system is pretty well sealed so moisture will not be a problem. Check the tires and ride.

Back