• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

r60/5 crankshaft sprocket removal tools

r60celo5

Hello all.

As my rebuilt progresses, the list of parts to be replaced gets longer and longer.

IMG_20210226_210614.jpg

After removing the timing chain cover i found that the timing chain was eating away into the crankshaft mount. There is slack on the chain and even with the tensioner on, i can push the chain outward to hit the spot it is chewing on. i hope this explains the tiny metal shaving i found on the oil. In a way i was preparing to replace the timing chain, the tensioner and the spring. The chain that was on the bike had a master link so i guess it had been replaced before.

IMG_20210226_211422.jpg

i found that the camshaft sprocket is worn and the teeth are relatively sharp. There are also some nicks on the bearing outer race. Should i replace the sprocket? how bad doe it look? The camshaft sprocket looks OK.

IMG_20210227_081455.jpg

IMG_20210227_081518.jpg

IMG_20210227_081505.jpg

and here is a picture of the tensioner. can i reuse it?

IMG_20210227_091735.jpg

I have searched for any info or threads how to remove the sprocket from the crankshaft, and found plenty useful information. however everyone seem to use the special tool. Again i am trying not to buy expensive special tools that i will have no use for again. Rather spend that money into other parts or beer.

my questions is:

Can other tools be used to remove and install the sprocket and the bearing? Pictures would be helpful.

If the special tool is the only way to get this done. Can i rent it somewhere or from someone? I am located in Winchester NY, and happy to pay the shipping back and forth.

Thank you.

Last edited:
For my money, I would replace everything that needs it while you're in there. Snowbum says that the camshaft sprocket usually doesn't get much wear:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/timingchain.htm

I would also want a reliable puller so as not to damage things...must be careful to protect the nose of the shafts. Dan at Cycleworks.net of course sells one...not sure if there's one amongst the members to loan out. I'm sure in the Airheads.org world there is someone who has one available. Often times, timing chains are changed out at TechDays.

Putting a sprocket back on gets a little tricky as I've read. I think the sprocket is heated in a pan of oil and then quickly/carefully pushed into place...if things expand properly, it should hit home easily.

Check out what Brook has to say here:

https://brook.reams.me/bmw-motorcyc...iming-chain-crankshaft-sprocket-nose-bearing/

For my money, I would replace everything that needs it while you're in there. Snowbum says that the camshaft sprocket usually doesn't get much wear:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/timingchain.htm

I would also want a reliable puller so as not to damage things...must be careful to protect the nose of the shafts. Dan at Cycleworks.net of course sells one...not sure if there's one amongst the members to loan out. I'm sure in the Airheads.org world there is someone who has one available. Often times, timing chains are changed out at TechDays.

Putting a sprocket back on gets a little tricky as I've read. I think the sprocket is heated in a pan of oil and then quickly/carefully pushed into place...if things expand properly, it should hit home easily.

Check out what Brook has to say here:

https://brook.reams.me/bmw-motorcyc...iming-chain-crankshaft-sprocket-nose-bearing/

Thanks.

I did get a lot of info from snowbum, Brook and other posts in here but everyone used some sort of special tool.

DONE!!

Picked up a set of 3 prong pullers from HF.
The whole process Was nerve wracking but it done!!

IMG_20210227_153448.jpg

Excellent, that’s progress!
FWIW, I have never been able to get a crank sprocket to slide on all the way by heating in an oven. Heating in an oil bath until the oil smokes is the only way I’ve found to have the sprocket slide on all the way with no need for the installation tool. I coat the crank with bacon fat before sliding on the sprocket. Everything goes better with bacon! ;)

Best,
DeVern

Back