• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil Seeping Head Gasket

jhall

BMWMOA #24809
Both head gaskets on my 95 R100RT have been weeping since the day I rode it home, four months and 8000 miles ago. More recently, the left gasket has began seeping, enough to show up on my pant leg and front of the saddlebag. I adjusted the valves the day I rode it home after purchase, 7800 miles ago; was gonna wait till 10,000 to readjust them, but since I'll be torquing the heads to (hopefully) stop the seepage, will need to also adjust the valves. It will be interesting to note any valve closure, hopefully minimal. Having adjusted them last time myself, I know first hand where they were set.

As for torquing the head bolts, I have read enough about stripped case studs to be a bit leery. I never experienced the problem with any prior Airhead, but hear later years are most prone. When I adjusted the valves before, all valves were tight, so that's a good sign, but still keeping my fingers crossed. Recently, in preparation, I have read up on the problem and the fix for Airheads. But hoping I won't need to put any of that info to use. I plan to go with recent torque specs, and stop at 25 ft lbs.

I will be doing the job today, so will report back here later with the results.

Update

First the valve clearance: the left side exhaust valve had closed .001", all others were are I set them 7800 miles ago. TO say I am satisfied is an understatement. I now feel comfortable checking them every 25,000 miles, but probably will recheck them in 10,000. I used to get 10,000 between adjustments on the 78 R100/7, by setting the exhaust valves a few extra thousandths. What a relief to finally have an airhead with valve recession comparable to other MCs.

As for the he'd bolts: most of them cracked, and turned about 1/16th of a turn, with one or two closer to 1/8th turn, and one or two that did not budge. What a relief! After re-torquing the head bolts and readjusting the valves, I went out for 190 miles, mostly on rural KY roads, but also maybe 50 miles on the interstate. I deliberately put it through the paces, and there's NO sign of weeping or seeping now. So all's well than ends well.

I am very content with this Airhead, and liking it more every time I ride it.

Back