• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2016 1200RT GPS release button sticking

ebell

The release button for my Nav V on my 2016 RT has always been sticky, meaning the spring on the black plastic cradle was never strong enough to catch and release the GPS without me pushing on the sliding button. Tri-Flow didn't help. I've always suspected the button on the outside of the dashboard, it always looked like it was rubbing against the side of the hole. Recently, the sticking started being really pronounced, so instead of breaking the plastic, I decided to dismantle and see if I can fix it.

It wasn't too difficult to dismantle the windshield and get to the dash, but I can't figure out how to get the button out or, even better, line the button up with the hole in the dash without further dismantling. The red arrow in the photo shows where the button is rubbing the side of the hole, also showing how off-center the button is. Can anyone help me figure out what I thought would be an easy fix?

BMW-R1200RT-Sticky-Button-2.jpg

BMW-R1200RT-Sticky-Button-1.jpg

Remove the GPS and spray some silicone on the slide that releases the GPS, my experience hasn’t been a problem with the button but with the slide. Usually you can see some white scuffing where it is rubbing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After I remove the GPS I just push it back into position. I think lubricating will end up attracting more dirt. It easy and has worked for me for years. My bike is now over 7 years old 14R1200RT

I had a similar problem with the Menu button sticking on the LH switch gear.

Having tried silicone sprays and other lubricants to solve the issue, I resorted to "drastic" measures!
I simply used a razor blade to trim the black housing that surrounded the Menu button to make space for the proper, free movement of the switch.
You can see where the grey button was dragging on the black housing, it left a whitish rub mark on the Menu button.
There only needed to be about 0.010" of material removed. It's ABS plastic like the rest of the bike material, so it slices away with ease.

Most of the fitment of one panel to another, or like this a button fitting thru a hole in another panel, work very well…but sometimes, things shift and rather than tear everything down to make adjustments of position, after trying several other things, a simple trim of the plastic worked just fine.

Hope this helps, it's just another way to solve a problem.

Menu%20Button-M.jpg

Menu%20Button%20trim-M.jpg

Ha! That’s also exactly what’s happening on my menu button, too. I’m planning on fixing it just like you suggest. Thanks.

I had a similar problem with the Menu button sticking on the LH switch gear.

Having tried silicone sprays and other lubricants to solve the issue, I resorted to "drastic" measures!
I simply used a razor blade to trim the black housing that surrounded the Menu button to make space for the proper, free movement of the switch.
You can see where the grey button was dragging on the black housing, it left a whitish rub mark on the Menu button.
There only needed to be about 0.010" of material removed. It's ABS plastic like the rest of the bike material, so it slices away with ease.

Most of the fitment of one panel to another, or like this a button fitting thru a hole in another panel, work very well…but sometimes, things shift and rather than tear everything down to make adjustments of position, after trying several other things, a simple trim of the plastic worked just fine.

Hope this helps, it's just another way to solve a problem.

Menu%20Button-M.jpg

Menu%20Button%20trim-M.jpg

Boxflyer, it worked like a charm. :thumb

I used an Xacto-knife around the problem areas on both buttons. What was surprising to me, was how easy it was to take apart the front end. Not the usual broken tabs experience.

Back