• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil filter broken seal

drost

Doug D
When went to change my oil filter on R60/5, I found the sealing ring at the oil filter cover end torn on the filter. The filter was the right one. Never have seen this before. Anyone have any experience with this situation?

Attachments

• 4BD2355D-EDED-4F85-A93D-3015F0F7B852.jpg
    4BD2355D-EDED-4F85-A93D-3015F0F7B852.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 90
Can't say as I remember something like that. Either it was defective and split in use, or it was put in at some angle and then as the cover was tightened down, the force caused the rubber to split. Does the inner cover for your style of filter cavity have it's own o-ring that seals on the outward edge of the filter? Could you maybe show a picture of what the inner cover looks like?

If you didn't see any oil pressure flickering light on the speedo, then you're probably OK. Good thing you found it.

The cover is resting on the header and held up by the engine stud. The seal is flush to the center stud before the cover is installed. The filter gets squished pretty hard when the cover is installed. Will not lose oil pressure as long as cover is tight. Oil will not be filtered with defective seal. There is nothing inside the canister to prevent filter going in all the way.

Attachments

• FFA14910-098A-487B-811F-4245E6807E63.jpg
    FFA14910-098A-487B-811F-4245E6807E63.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 64
My /7 doesn't have that inner cover, so I'm not that familiar with it. But it appears that the inner cover has a deep well center section which is supposed to fit over the large black o-ring of the filter. My guess would be that when the cover was slid on, it caught the edge of the black o-ring and tore it as the cover was pushed into place...or the o-ring was defective in some way and was torn when the cover was put on.

Or...since I can't quite tell the dimensions...is the lip of the deep well on the cover designed to fit on the edge of the large black o-ring and compress it a bit when the inner cover is tightened in place? In other words, not fit over the black o-ring but just push the edge of it to make a seal?

It looks to me like the filter is not very well centered in the inner canister. Is it possible that this may have been a factor? As a general rule, this oil filter cover is nearly impossible to screw up.

The cover will center the filter when installed. Pushing in on the filter to seat it, the rubber seal is flush with the stand tube. There is a lot squish on the seals when the cover is installed. The seal just butts up to the cover flange, not over it. This has never happened to me before. I can not see how anything could change. Maybe just one of those things. I will put it back together, run it when weather is warm, and see if it happens again when I do the next oil change.
I have looked at Anton’s site and measured filter. All checks out good.
Thanks for all replies,
Doug

Back