• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

### Brembo Calipers '20 RT ###

Motor32

Motor32
Today after four sets of Hayes calipers that all leaked, I got my fifth set of calipers this time from Brembo. I had to file three complaints with the NHTSA, two recalls and over 15 times to the dealer in TEN months I've owned the bike. Maybe BMW will compensate me with a new 2021 RT.

Steve

Is this now the official fix?

Yes, all the bikes at the dealership had Brembo calipers on them in the showroom. I was told if you bring your bike in they inspect the Hayes and only if they're leaking do they get replaced. I not sure if that's until there are more Brembos in the pipeline, I would think they will change all of them eventually.

Steve

Yes, all the bikes at the dealership had Brembo calipers on them in the showroom. I was told if you bring your bike in they inspect the Hayes and only if they're leaking do they get replaced. I not sure if that's until there are more Brembos in the pipeline, I would think they will change all of them eventually.

Steve

That's good news.
Hopefully BMW will go back to installing Brembo at the factory.

Today after four sets of Hayes calipers that all leaked, I got my fifth set of calipers this time from Brembo. I had to file three complaints with the NHTSA, two recalls and over 15 times to the dealer in TEN months I've owned the bike. Maybe BMW will compensate me with a new 2021 RT.

Steve

Like this? On my 2020..:heart

Attachments

• PXL_20201113_203506441.jpg
    PXL_20201113_203506441.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 363
They look great, I like the gold too.

Steve

The gold color was standard on my 2020 719 Hayes setup. I believe they all are. Since I converted these myself (At the BMW dealer, of course, for warranty purposes, etc. and since it was on my own nickel, I ordered the gold ones.). According to my DOC (Dealer Of Choice) they will submit the bill for all this ( a little over $ 2,100.00) to BMW, now that the official word is Brembos. We"ll see if they want to participate. Doubtful, but possible.
BTW, I now have about 4K miles on this setup and there is absolutely NO problem of any kind. Since these Brembos are so-called "Monoblocks" they simply cannot leak like the Hayes "clamshell" setup. Now, maybe they could leak from the piston area, but Brembo has been doing this long enough with these same calipers, so they seem to be a pretty solid setup. They are on my 2013 F800GT as standard equipment and have been on almost every BMW model out there.

YMMV

The gold color was standard on my 2020 719 Hayes setup. I believe they all are. Since I converted these myself (At the BMW dealer, of course, for warranty purposes, etc. and since it was on my own nickel, I ordered the gold ones.). According to my DOC (Dealer Of Choice) they will submit the bill for all this ( a little over $ 2,100.00) to BMW, now that the official word is Brembos. We"ll see if they want to participate. Doubtful, but possible.
BTW, I now have about 4K miles on this setup and there is absolutely NO problem of any kind. Since these Brembos are so-called "Monoblocks" they simply cannot leak like the Hayes "clamshell" setup. Now, maybe they could leak from the piston area, but Brembo has been doing this long enough with these same calipers, so they seem to be a pretty solid setup. They are on my 2013 F800GT as standard equipment and have been on almost every BMW model out there.

YMMV

That would be great if BMW stepped-up with reimbursing you, your solution became the BMW solution and why should you be out a penny. Good luck.

Steve

That would be great if BMW stepped-up with reimbursing you, your solution became the BMW solution and why should you be out a penny. Good luck.

Steve

Hi steve,

BMW must have heard your good wishes. apparently they are favorably considering my claim..;)

I took my '20 GSA in for an 18K service last week and got it back with Brembos and fresh pads. Honestly, I never had a problem with my Hayes calipers, and liked the feel better.

I took my '20 GSA in for an 18K service last week and got it back with Brembos and fresh pads. Honestly, I never had a problem with my Hayes calipers, and liked the feel better.

After a few rides, I zip-tied the lever overnight and bled a few bubbles out, they feel better now, FYI.

Steve

Canadian story.
Picked up new 2019 RT in May 2020. Calipers were leaking in showroom. New calipers were installed just before pick-up date. Pick-up date was delayed by about 3weeks to achieve this.

New calipers were leak free for 10k km (6k mi). When i put bike in for winter service in Feb they swapped the Hayes for Brembos.
All in, a good story for me.

My 2016 RT has Brembos. Is that usual, or were bikes shipped to Australia fitted with different equipment to what you got in the USA?

2020 GSA Brembo Caliper Replacement

Anyone know anyone outside of the BMW dealer who sells Brembo brakes. There has to be a cheaper option for those who want to change them out but not covered by BMW recall.

Back