• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

G 650 gs

OlGeezer
Looking at one. Good condition. Low miles, but not too low.

Anything I should be concerned about? Should I walk away?

I'm looking for something lighter than my Roadster. I've lost a lot of strength in the last 15 months. Still want to ride, mostly two lanes and fire roads.

TIA

I agree with Paul, maintenance is nice to know, especially because they haven't been produced in a little while (6 years). These bikes were known to be pretty tough on batteries, especially unsealed wet acid ones, because the battery is located right next to the hot oil tank. Same thing with the steering head bearings. On some bikes, the needle bearings in the rear swing arm weren't too well lubricated at the factory, so that could be a concern too. The waterpumps and seals were also an issue, but IIRC the kit with all the parts from BMW is ~$35 and you can almost change it on the side of the road. Some later models had problems with the start up software, some dealers updated the firmware, whereas everyone just learned to wait a few seconds before firing it up.

Depending on the year, you may have a tough time finding a lot of aftermarket support for some farkles, but the earlier years shared design/parts with the single-cylinder F650's.

I really enjoyed mine. Easy to maintain, good gas mileage, somewhat light, enough power to cruise on the interstate - wish I still had it.

Depending on the year, you may have a tough time finding a lot of aftermarket support for some farkles, but the earlier years shared design/parts with the single-cylinder F650's.

I'm looking at a 2013 model.

Thanks for the background info.

I've also found some older F 650 GS's.

Less money, but older.

Should I get the G or the F?

Thank you

Less money, but older.

Thank you

The F bikes have the Austrian engine. The G bikes have the Chinese engine. I think they are equivalent. Some folks think the Chinese engines are inferior. Some folks also think Italians can't make good tacos.

Less money, but older.

Thank you

I'd get the one that fits you best. Like Paul said, their fit and finish is going to be of BMW quality whichever way you go.

With my aftermarket support question here's what I'd be most concerned about: Are the windscreen and seat comfortable, or are there available aftermarket options that would work? Does it have the right bags and engine guards that you want (or can you get them)? I'd also purchase a bike with ABS vs. one that doesn't have it. Both models have the feature that will allow you to turn off the ABS if you go offroad.

A high-mileage bike with consistent maintenance is worth more to me than one that has sat around.

Maybe you should just buy them both... :brad

I bought a 2011 G650GS last year. Great bike - light, nimble, way fuel efficient. But the one thing that bothered me was the amount of crud that splashed up on my license plate and tail/brake light. Seriously, a spirited ride up some forest service road in the spring would leave my tail light invisible. So I wanted to get one of those kinda half fenders that cover the far rear of the tire. They come stock on the R12XXGS's. I couldn't find one for my model, so I got one from China on ebay. Bolt on solution. Works fine.

So if your looking at a G650, be sure it either has that fender or be prepared to buy one.

Back