Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cars and trucks, what’s the real dealer cost?

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    They must do things differently in Canada than here in the U.S....
    Well, I knew exactly what I wanted, and I was referred to the salesman by a higher up in the dealership. He offered me a fair deal on the car and I didn't try to chase that last $500 that Realshelby mentions.

It was the same thing with the recent purchase of an R1200RS from my local mega dealer. The bike was a clear out item on the floor at an attractive price and I took it.

But I suppose Canada has its share of unsavoury reps.

Thanks for the background, Realshelby; very interesting.
    Rinty

I think it all has to do with the salesperson. I used the on line service for my last two cars and was totally pleased with the results. I gave him the exact model and accessories that I wanted on the first car. He grilled me a bit on my buying status to make sure that I could afford the car. Then he gave me a laundry list of discounts that I was qualified for, bringing the price way down, without me having to get excited and use my negotiation skills. We both came to a "screaming deal" agreement! He asked me when I wanted the car and told me that the exact car I wanted was at another local dealer so I could pick it up anytime the following day.
    The next time I wanted a new car I called him up and went through the same routine. The only thing different was that this time I could save an additional $500 if I were an Uber driver! That application was free, need I say more? He asked me what condition my trade in was in and even quoted me a value higher than what I was expecting.
    Other sales staff in the past have not been quite that honest.
    Boxerbruce

Quote Originally Posted by 1074 View Post
    I think it all has to do with the salesperson...
    Yes. Over the years, I've had good luck with a number of new car sales persons, and I didn't feel like I had to use my negotiating skills to come up with a deal. I came back to one salesman I used in 1973, about 40 years later, when my brother was looking for a truck.
    Rinty